Fitness Workout for Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Hello, can someone show me a good workout? that I can do twice a week at home?
exercises for the legs and core. I have some ideal for the training but i don't know which exercixes are important. Many jumps and sit ups?

Is it necessary to train the arms too?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Arms aren't necessary, probably the opposite - muscles in the arm can do more bad than good in table tennis. Squats is the ultimate leg excercise if you have weights, if not bulgarian split squats. Honestly just youtube leg workout at home - plenty of choice.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Arms aren't necessary, probably the opposite - muscles in the arm can do more bad than good in table tennis. Squats is the ultimate leg excercise if you have weights, if not bulgarian split squats. Honestly just youtube leg workout at home - plenty of choice.
Lol it’s actually the opposite about the muscle, you should train upper body as well, not only legs. Just you main focus shouldn’t be the same as the regular bodybuilder doing.

Table tennis requires some explosive strength, and it’s good for you muscle ( upper and lower body ) to be well trained in this area. Strong muscles are fast muscles - that what you need for table tennis. Anyone would benefit from became more athletic.

Reactions: Lazer and cytivrat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
Muscles weight quite a bit, can't see how having muscles in the arms will benefit a table tennis player - just look at the top players, be it table tennis or normal tennis - they all have no muscles in the arms. Then looks at them from the waist down - different picture. Having muscles don't make you athletic, quite the opposite actually. When i got to the gym and do my arm sessions and then do a TT session in the evening i always feel quite stiff. Plyometrics is what's probably best imo.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Muscles weight quite a bit, can't see how having muscles in the arms will benefit a table tennis player - just look at the top players, be it table tennis or normal tennis - they all have no muscles in the arms. Then looks at them from the waist down - different picture. Having muscles don't make you athletic, quite the opposite actually. When i got to the gym and do my arm sessions and then do a TT session in the evening i always feel quite stiff. Plyometrics is what's probably best imo.
You cant even play a sport without "having muscles in arms" btw.

And if top players dont look like a fitness models it doesnt mean that they dont train those "muscles in the arms", a lot of people, i would say most people that are casually going to the gym looks like regular people, but they lift weights for years. To look really muscular or jacked you should have genetics for that, or you even some one need to take a PEDs for that. And, as i already told, you dont need that bodybuilding style of training for tt.

Sprinters runners, rowers, swimmers, all are doing weight lifting for running/swimming/rowing faster - i dont see why it cant be beneficial for any sport including tt.

If you feel stiff after a strength training - go to a massage or some stretching, or swimming pool. You can get stiff by just playing a lot of table tennis, and when it happening - you most of the time is doing the same - massage, stretching, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
That's because you just worked out your muscles. Ma Long has pretty solid arm muscles, and I believe all CNT players lift weights and probably most pros do as well. You just don't need body builder-like physique, but some weight training is good.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
That's because you just worked out your muscles. Ma Long has pretty solid arm muscles, and I believe all CNT players lift weights and probably most pros do as well. You just don't need body builder-like physique, but some weight training is good.
This is true. Ma Long has pretty solid upper body, Wang Liqin also, and not only them. Plus we must consider amount of a calories that pro players are burning during long hours and hours of their tt training, so became Baki anime kinda physique is just impossible with such a schedule - and there is zero need to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
train core muscles, core muscles and core muscles. Helps with energy transfer from the legs.
If your core is jelly, the best footwork and weight transfer will not reach the arms.

Reactions: Fnub
It depends on You expectations. You do not want to be a body builder, but Muscles are always good.
I am just playing for fun and table tennis IS my form of excersise. No I don't need anything else... But if I have any aspirations to get to the top then Yes of course it is necessary. Anything else is ridiculess...

I don't do any heavy exercise , but warm up is important to me.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I can recommend you this website here for sample training programs: https://peakperformancetabletennis.com/routine/

It's not what I do myself as I have the remnants of powerlifting strength I want to maintain, but I can tell you the guy who created the website knows what he's talking about and his knowledge concides with the most current accepted training science.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
At an amateur level if you can practice Falkenberg drills and do footwork correctly and staying low during gameplay that should be all the fitness workout you need for table tennis. Why waste time doing boring exercises when the best most enjoyable workout, table tennis, is already there for you? If you try playing at a pro level intensity I can guarantee that will be all the workout you need.

Reactions: Lazer
At an amateur level if you can practice Falkenberg drills and do footwork correctly and staying low during gameplay that should be all the fitness workout you need for table tennis. Why waste time doing boring exercises when the best most enjoyable workout, table tennis, is already there for you? If you try playing at a pro level intensity I can guarantee that will be all the workout you need.
Agreed, specially for oldtimers like me... :)

Cheers
l-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I am older now, so no 45 mile bike rides on Saturday morning and table tennis multiball at the club in the afternoon. I think regular exercise of all types is good for everyone. I do not think for example 7 days of table tennis a week is a good idea for most of us (not a pro, so cannot speak to that). I try to do a mixture of cardio or weights for 3-4 days a week with 3 days of table tennis. Usually work or general fatigue wipes out a day. If I get to retire i can see doing another workout on days I play table tennis, but currently no. I lift, jog, walk, indoor bike. Do what you enjoy.

Reactions: SleepyMaster
I can recommend you this website here for sample training programs: https://peakperformancetabletennis.com/routine/

It's not what I do myself as I have the remnants of powerlifting strength I want to maintain, but I can tell you the guy who created the website knows what he's talking about and his knowledge concides with the most current accepted training science.
I did not know the website/man but Zhang Jike's images say it all. I was able to "admire" these "live" in 2011 in Rotterdam and I must admit they were impressive. Should I make a top 3 of solid leg muscles I would say top ice skaters, top cyclists and top table tennis players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
i think some understated benefits of additional exercise for table tennis are increased endurance for long tournament days/weekends, injury prevention, and addressing the imbalances created from playing a highly-repetitive game centered around a dominant hand/side.

some grouping/variations of push ups, pull ups, squats would make a difference for many people who don't do these exercises and benefits transfer over to everyday life.

i think riding a bike is beneficial and easier on the body to incorporate into a routine than running for example. jumprope/agility ladder also good imo.

always an argument over how much strength is needed for the game, but I don't think the overall benefits should even be a question, only the opportunity cost of time/training compared to more table time/practice when planning a routine

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Can you imagine, that someone will find enjoyable lifting weights too. You always can try something else besides “boring exercise”, and why not to do both?

Lifting will help you with injury prevention, and will slowing muscle loss that are progressing with age. It will make you faster. This is a scientific facts. Of course you can only play tt as your only type of exercising - you just don’t get full benefits out of “only this type is of training” that you could possibly get, but it’s okay if you don’t need those. Everyone has its own goals and capabilities for such things