Is there a way to fix the top ply or stop it from splintering? (Photos attached)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
The top layer is koto, the layer underneath is carbon. I’ve sealed it but it splintered regardless and I don’t want it to splinter more.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 49
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Koto is a hard wood that doesn't splinter often. With sealing the blade it would be unbreakable you would think
It's more brittle than limba, so can break from the edge. Limba splinters are usually in the middle, usually due to removing the rubber. If you hit on the edge it kinda just craters, but doesn't splinter. Koto doesn't splinter from rubber removal, but some contact on the edge often can cause splinters (it kinda just breaks off). Usually it doesn't spread though, so I haven't had issues with Koto blades with edge imperfections.

I’m a bit dense on this topic. Do I fill the cracks with that and is it supposed to act as a sealent?
If it’s really small glue is enough.

If it’s on the face and small cover it with several layers of news paper under a clamp. Then Dario off the news paper as much as possible, and sand it level.

If it’s bigger cut it even and fill with a small wood ply. Clamp it under news paper that you can rip off and sand it level.

Cheers
L-zr

Do I just fill those places with wood glue and let them dry?
I would use superglue if the intention is to just use glue. But I would clamp it under news paper as I said before. That way the clamp won’t be fixed to the blade. And since it’s on the face the looks doesn’t matter.

Cheers
L-zr

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
1) That is so small, I would just ignore it.
2) It is a tiny thing at the edge of the blade. That probably came from the edge of the blade hitting something as dingyibvs has allready said. If you hit the edge of the blade into something like the edge of the table, it is not really possible to stop things like that from happening.
3) Since it is at the edge of the blade and not where you contact the ball, you should not worry about that. You don't have to do anything. You could put a tiny bit of wood glue. Some have suggested super glue....it would serve the purpose as well. You could even just dab a bit of wood sealant on that area. But....IF YOU DID NOTHING, it still would be fine.

What blade is it: brand, model? I am just curious but it does not matter to the issue at hand.

Reactions: Robin0910
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2023
1) That is so small, I would just ignore it.
2) It is a tiny thing at the edge of the blade. That probably came from the edge of the blade hitting something as dingyibvs has allready said. If you hit the edge of the blade into something like the edge of the table, it is not really possible to stop things like that from happening.
3) Since it is at the edge of the blade and not where you contact the ball, you should not worry about that. You don't have to do anything. You could put a tiny bit of wood glue. Some have suggested super glue....it would serve the purpose as well. You could even just dab a bit of wood sealant on that area. But....IF YOU DID NOTHING, it still would be fine.

What blade is it: brand, model? I am just curious but it does not matter to the issue at hand.
Joola Classic Carbon

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl