How many layers of glue? (To prevent the blade from splintering)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Hello again!

I just want to know what's more safe for the blade to prevent splintering (again).

It's a DHS Hurricane 5 (W986) blade.
The rubber is a Loki Rxton 5.
It's sealed with 1-2 very thin layers of wax oil (from the brand clou).
It's a latex glue from imperial.

I was thinking to do 1 layer on the blade & 2 on the rubber (like i read it so much on the internet & 2 german pros show it like that to on YT) but maybe because it's sealed, the glue, the rubber, the limba wood it would be different..

I really don't care about boosting effects or something like that.. it's just about the higher/lower chance the wood would start splinter. For me now that's all what matters!

Thank you very much for reading this & may someone of you guys can help me out (again) :)

Greetings

The reason you may need more layer s on the rubber is that it absorbs the glue in a higher degree than wood, specially if it has pores. 1 layer on blade and 2 on the rubber works most of the time

For blade splintering one or two layers of varnish helps, rough it up a little with sandpaper when it has dried. Also when removing old rubber do it against the grain or from side to side NOT top to bottom.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Deku and BaRanchik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
The reason you may need more layer s on the rubber is that it absorbs the glue in a higher degree than wood, specially if it has pores. 1 layer on blade and 2 on the rubber works most of the time

For blade splintering one or two layers of varnish helps, rough it up a little with sandpaper when it has dried. Also when removing old rubber do it against the grain or from side to side NOT top to bottom.

Cheers
L-zr
Thank you very much for your answer.

Because it's only 1-2 very thin layers i don't use sandpaper.
I just ask myself if more or less layer on the blade/rubber would be better (sealed, limba, latex glue, Loki Rxton 5 rubber).

So you say like most of the other people 1 on blade & 2 on rubber should work fine? So that's the best option with all the information i write down here that the blade don't start splintering?

Thanks

I don’t think the number of glue layers will affect splintering. As long as your blade is sealed and you remove the old rubber against the grains carefully you have done everything you can to prevent it. I use revolution 3 glue and almost never have a problem.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don’t think the number of glue layers will affect splintering. As long as your blade is sealed and you remove the old rubber against the grains carefully you have done everything you can to prevent it. I use revolution 3 glue and almost never have a problem.

Cheers
L-zr
correct, number of glue layer doesn't makes a different.