Search results

  1. What materials or compositions give the feeling of holding the ball?

    There are also two different concepts here that are important to distinguish, as they can cause some confusion. They are similar but not the same: crispness and hardness. For crispness, I would say that it's almost exclusively related to the top ply, yes, but it's not the same as hardness. You...
  2. What materials or compositions give the feeling of holding the ball?

    "Dwell" time has to do with the whole composition, but the core plays a big part, especially on medium-hard shots. It may or may not, again, it depends on the whole composition. Stiffness is the biggest responsible for the arc of the blade, higher stiffness = lower arc. But this can be...
  3. What materials or compositions give the feeling of holding the ball?

    Tung is not used in TT blades at all, that was a translation error that propagated and taken as true. The core on the Acoustic is Kiri.
  4. Large Hands And Flared Handles

    None of them come close to this beast 😅
  5. New blade - Stiga Pure

    I really admire Stiga's marketing department (really, no joke!). What we have here is another standard 7 ply composition, nothing special about it (at naked eye). The handle is made from fineline (reconstituted wood), trying to mimic Zebrano. It does look nice, and at first I really thought it...
  6. Composition of Cybershape Wood

    It's Limba / Ayous / Kiri
  7. Large Hands And Flared Handles

    From a blade builder perspective, most of my customers with large hands request straight handles, some of them anatomic and I think the least percentage would be flared. In fact I don't remember ever making an exceptionally large FL handle, but I did make some very big straight handles. A FL...
  8. What materials or compositions give the feeling of holding the ball?

    What's underneath the top ply has a much bigger impact on feeling, than the top ply itself, namely the medial ply and core. Kiri is softer than Ayous, that's why your V5 holds the ball well despite having an Ash top player. Since wood has such a big variation, even two blades with Ayous cores...
  9. SDC Handmade Blades

    Something like that, although it comes more from the medial layer. Spruce in the medial usually creates a sharp sound, but I think that having balsa in the core magnified it.
  10. SDC Handmade Blades

    Mahogany is extremely heavy to be used as a core, yet this blade only weighs 74g (with a low balance). How?! It is something I wanted to make for a while now, and it's the first "not so legal" blade I put for sale here. The central layer of the blade is actually made from two woods, the playing...
  11. SDC Handmade Blades

    The lineup is already very strong, some of these fibers may not make the cut to be in the final team 😅. So I will do some testes first and report back.
  12. SDC Handmade Blades

    Speaking of fibers, just received an order 😁 There's some new stuff in here, excited to experiment!
  13. SDC Handmade Blades

    I guess it's a reflection of what people want, probably around 80% of my custom orders are fiber blades.
  14. SDC Handmade Blades

    Note to self: when making a transparent handle, don't forget to erase all the pencil marks on the blade 😅. It's a stiff, hard and fast blade with little to no vibration. Available FS. - Koto / Carbon / Kiri / Carbon / Koto - 89.6g - 6.1mm - 157x150mm - FL (100x25.2-23.2mm) - 1593Hz -...
  15. SDC Handmade Blades

    Another stab at a faster WSC, this time closer to the original structure but replacing the soft-carbon layer by a higher density version. Medium soft-carbon seems a more appropriate name for this fiber than Super soft-carbon (as I've used previously), it's not as soft as soft-carbon, but also...
  16. SDC Handmade Blades

    Old school style defensive blade. Five plies of similar thickness, the vertical plies are European Cypress and the horizontal plies are Ayous. European Cypress is not bouncy like Asian Cypress, and it's actually a good replacement for Willow (which I find hard to get nowadays). The blade feels...
  17. SDC Handmade Blades

    Imagine being an EJ and also building blades for a living 😅. I'm actually not an EJ, I know very well what I like in a blade, but I'm also very curious! There was a time when I was experimenting a bunch of blades and it really hurt my game. I don't test custom orders unless specifically...
  18. SDC Handmade Blades

    I hadn't even noticed it 😅
  19. Miwa Harimoto ALC?

    It's happening!
  20. SDC Handmade Blades

    The goal was to make a thin, but stiff and hard outer fiber blade. It is indeed very stiff for its thickness, as the frequency suggests, but surprisingly not that hard! It has a compact head size, with a compact feeling as well, and it should be good for a more direct, close to the table play...
Top