Search results

  1. Japan Open 2019

    Oh I think their even selecting her for this assignment spoke spoke very loudly (after all, her team ranking doesn't justify it). Ishikawa is being blocked out by the forces of reality. If you have told me this a year ago I would have been very cynical but it is happening in real time. She...
  2. Japan Open 2019

    Can we place that bet and for how much? Comparing a kid who isn't 16 yet to one almost 2 years older always leads to interesting perspectives.
  3. Japan Open 2019

    This is a great and weird tournament, reminding us simultaneously of how strong China is and how strong the challengers are. Both on the men and the women's side. Tomorrow will a good day.
  4. Japan Open 2019

    More importantly, Lin Yun Ju has his legit first CNT A win (Wang Chuqin is not as solid). CNT coaches have their work cut out.
  5. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Looks like ttmonster was right about Sun Wen.
  6. Japan Open 2019

    This might be choreographed to help FZD remain in the top, given he has been falling earlier in a lot of events. OKay, more seriously, Ma Long may just have his bad match and not lose.
  7. Japan Open 2019

    All these results. Good stuff at the Japan Open. Getting Harimoto out of the top 4 is likely a big CNT goal.
  8. Japan Open 2019

    Defensive pessimism? Honestly An has no chance. Ma Long can lose to him as much as Ma Long can lose to Harimoto.
  9. Japan Open 2019

    Yang Haeun is back!
  10. Japan Open 2019

    Shows how imbalanced some people's games are. A reminder of what it truly means to be higher ranked than another player as Mima Ito would kill Wu Yang.
  11. The "old" blades - still a valid option or not

    Filip Szymanski uses this combination and he is one of my idols. He is one of the reasons I gave up on carbon blades. I don't have fun when I use then even though I know I play faster with them.
  12. Japan Open 2019

    At 19 you are supposed to be uneven. If you aren't you are especially mature. When you are a former top tier CNT member with fluctuating results that are confusing, that is a different story. But you are right, maybe the result says more about WCQ than YA.
  13. Japan Open 2019

    Yan An and Fang Bo are those guys who sometimes forget how to play and then remember when to play when they really should forget.
  14. Is it worth serving short ? - for amateurs

    There are good reasons not to serve sidespin to an advanced pips player but even then I agree 100% with your post. I remember that I have some sidespin serves that when I use them, if the opponent returns my ball with the stroke I expect him to, he is toast. The problem is that an advanced...
  15. Is it worth serving short ? - for amateurs

    Why not? In fact serving short to a defender is a great way of forcing them to come in and play over the table so they cannot get back as quickly to defend. The issues one may have to with defenders on serve return are not about the short serve. In fact serving long may let them get a bigger...
  16. Is it worth serving short ? - for amateurs

    This is why I love amateur TT. Anything can work up to a certain level. The real issue is whether you are playing amateur TT with a view of getting better and playing at a semi-professional level or with a goal of looking like a semi-pro. Because I'd you want to have a chance against a...
  17. Is it worth serving short ? - for amateurs

    Depends on your game. Paul Drinkhall serves long a lot but it suits his style. In general, short topspin and short no spin are strong.
  18. ITTF 2019 Hong Kong Open June 4-9

    No doubt about this, when I was first responding I hadn't seen the match. After I watched it, I felt Ito had nothing to bring that would have fixed the score. I do feel that returning long backspin serves with pips is fixable, and she is going to have to make her pivot more aggressive - maybe...
  19. ITTF 2019 Hong Kong Open June 4-9

    The level of the forehand determines the level of the player is not old fashioned at all. It has its limitations but I think you will get general agreement amongst all good players that you can only go as far as your footwork and forehand will carry you at the top level. Even the good backhand...
Top