Ma Long for Grand Slam Champion?

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone!

What a weeks table tennis! I hope everyone enjoyed the TableTennisDaily coverage of the event! Thanks for everyone who took part in the discussions.

Ma Long's extraordinary performance and persistence has got me thinking. With the Rio 2016 Olympics just around the corner, could Ma Long go on to be a grand slam winner now he has that world title?

When Zhang Jike won the WTTC in 2011 he went on to win the world cup later that year and then finally winning the London 2012 Olympics making him the first player in history to win all three competitions simultaneously.

Could Ma Long match this record? Ma Long would need to win the World Cup later this year in Sweden (October) and then the gold medal in Rio 2016.

So Ma Long fans will he achieve this?

Reactions: MDanielCRO
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Its really tough to tell, in Rio FZD will be even more mature, Fang Bo is ready to kill them all and of course ML an ZJK are still the best in terms of experience in my eyes. I believe that LGL will not include FZD for Rio he is too young and will have even more opportunities in the future, even for a double grand slam. Im curious to see what will happen to XX he participated in all three events clinching gold in two but lost to FB.

I dont want to sound harsh, but I think XX's strokes and footwork need refining, the way he plays he stands no chance against players with smaller motion and more explosiveness like the above 4. Even shibaev exposed his weaknesses from FH to BH and vice versa. Fact is if you can put an active block on his first loop he is under pressure because of his own strokes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
If Fang Bo or Patrick Franziska continue to improve at this rate, no chance :D

In all seriousness, barring injuries affecting World Ranking/form, I think he's a safe bet for reaching the finals of the Olympics. Whether he wins that is not that easy to say if he's facing ZJK, otherwise he has a pretty good chance.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, now that Ma Long is a World Champion, the competition between him and Zhang Jike may get even better. It would be great to see an Olympic Gold Medal Match between Ma Long and Zhang Jike. But, by then some of the younger guys may catch up to those two.

By they way, Liu Gouliang does not choose who goes to the Olympics. Olympic trials determines the first two players and World Ranking determines the player who gets to team after a country has two players qualified for singles.

The first qualified player is the first one qualified for singles. The second is the #2 qualified for singles. Nobody else can play singles. And The only way LGL could determine who is by not sending other players. But I believe he will at least send his top 4 to try and qualify. Then it is warrior rules. If you qualify you are in.

This user has no status.
And by this determination, if Ma Long and Xu Xin qualified for singles only then it is like 99-100% it will be one of them for Gold, and if things goes fine then even the other will have the silver, so if Ma Long does his hard work training and winning it will not be difficult for him to qualify with another one then it will be between them 2 only who will win the Olympics gold medal in the final, less stress than another titles where more Chinese players are in[volved].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
This is a huge confidence booster for him, he knows that he can do it now. Before perhaps he was questioning whether he had the mental stability to win a major event like Worlds or Olympics. He was dominant at WTTC, no doubt about it. He peaked at the exact right time and had a determination to see it through.

If we see this same Ma Long or a better Ma Long at the next Olympics then I think we will have another Grand Slam Champion to celebrate and I think he deserves it, he's been at the top long enough and for a long time he really was a head above the rest until Zhang Jike started stepping it up. I would love to see Ma Long achieve it for sure. I think as generations pass we will probably see more and more Grand Slam Champions emerging potentially too.