Muscle exercise for table tennis?

This user has no status.
Hi there!
I'm just attending table tennis camp here in Czech Republic.
We have in our hall of residence a fully equipped gym, so I wonder which exercises in gym are beneficial and suitable for table tennis (in addition to proper at the table /by the table training. What do you think,what would you suggest?
Cheers,
Alex

Odesláno z mého C1905 pomocí Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Thanks!
And which back exercises would would you recommend?
What about using dumbells?
Is there any particular exercise for "topspin muscles", developing right, strong and faster spin (in fact it could be counterproductive strengthening arm muscles, couldn't it ?) I think I have quite slow and weak topspin - I reckon I have my arm muscles too much stretched, too rigid - how to make the stroke more relaxed and faster? - is there any way how to relax my arm especially my forearm?

Sorry for too many questions, I'm curious if there is any way to improve this, or I have just bad /useless /unsuitable hand and I can't do anything about it - sometimes feel like that :)
Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
My rutine is this:
10 min tredmill as a warmup.
15 min rowingmachine = GREAT for getting speed up in your arms and legs (imo)
45 sec legmachine x 5
45 sec pulling up your back over the workout bench, with weights x 5
Circle gym for the remaining time of my hour..
The stepup board is my fav.. Do as many passes as you can during 45 sec.. (both feet on the ground, up on the bord and down again, passing over the board.)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A lot of footwork drills like ladder footwork drills. Side plank work gets at the muscles in the side of the body that you use to loop. Any abs work is good.

But the biggest thing would be exercises that strengthen your legs while making them faster and connect your legs to your core and incorporate changes of direction. So those ladder footwork drills are ideal.

A lot of the stuff in this video:

A lot of the stuff without the weights is great for TT.

All of the stuff in this next video helps strengthen the muscles in your sides that help the power of your loop but the last one, which starts at about 7:20 is the most important one.

That kind of side plank work really helps those muscles develop.

But as much work that makes your feet faster and helps you use the power of turning your hips. So table tennis footork drills done as shadow footwork drills really actually help you strengthen exactly what you need for TT while developing the Cardio you also need for TT.

Here is more:

So many things to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Just make sure to work BOTH arms. Don't be like kreanga

Kreanga.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just make sure to work BOTH arms. Don't be like kreanga

View attachment 7845

Hahaha. Yep. And when doing shadow drills, it actually helps to do them lefty too. Balances things out some. But it is interesting that trying to learn them backwards helps you do them better forwards. That has to do with left-right brain communication and the nervous system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, powercleans, presses, etc. Lots of Basic heavy compound barbell lifts. You just need to work with an actual strength coach (not a personal trainer) to teach you to do them correctly so you don't hurt yourself.

I tried EVERYTHING to improve my athletic performance when I was younger, but nothing helped more than adding 100 pounds to my squat and deadlift.

I understand that this is not a popular opinion though, and I took some heat for it on one of the other forums. :)

But I guess whatever you do, it's better than sitting on your butt all day.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I took a 4 year work/play/party/train trip to korea and it did wonders for me... just sayin'

... and if anyone on this forum doubts SchemeSC, they can run into me on a dark or well-lit alley with all their friends, makes no difference to me.

Daniel goes way back in the TT foruming world and is not a rookie poster talking out his tail.

Hey SchemeSC, I move to Virginia in 2 days and will play mostly at Smash TTC, it is considerable far from you, but occasionally, you could come there to make trouble with me.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. I agree that anything that makes your legs stronger is good. Those exercises where you jump up from the ground onto something about as high as you can jump are good too. Jumping for distance also is good. Those give your legs that fast impact strength.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I took a 4 year work/play/party/train trip to korea and it did wonders for me... just sayin'

... and if anyone on this forum doubts SchemeSC, they can run into me on a dark or well-lit alley with all their friends, makes no difference to me.

Daniel goes way back in the TT foruming world and is not a rookie poster talking out his tail.

Hey SchemeSC, I move to Virginia in 2 days and will play mostly at Smash TTC, it is considerable far from you, but occasionally, you could come there to make trouble with me.

Der_Echte

I'm actually only about 70-75 mins from Smash TTC. I was going to do a tourney there a couple weeks ago, but it got canceled at the last minute! They've rescheduled to a date that I (probably) can't make. We definitely need to meet up there sometime, though... maybe for one of the league nights or one of the Sunday mini-tournaments.

By the way, I'm horribly fat and out of shape right now, so I have no problem with anyone ignoring any advice I dish out on the topic of physical fitness. I would ignore me, too. Hah!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
SchemeSC is bang on the money, it's all about squats. Even when playing forehands you'll be using core muscle strength that you aren't aware of such as abdominals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
one leg squats are great also, especially for your "weak" leg. The nerve system "learns" how to balance in extreme situations. If you have the time to do strength exercise on a regular basis, I would suggest mixing it up all the time. Squats are great yes but you need the horizontal ladder thingy (the one that lays on the ground and u step between the "ropes") also for flexibility which is also important in table tennis. Torso rotation exercises help also, they are great for topspins