Difference between better and worse players?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm thinking the strokes aren't really a big deal and that it's being in position for the stroke thats the real mastery. Footwork, I think, is the biggest difference. Also an understanding of what good position is..
If you really want to get pro, ask your coach for footwork sessions without a bat, so you can reall focus on developing a one-step shuffle from any position to any other position :)

This is evident in training usually. As a pro you gym it out a LOT. As a casual you just come to the club to play. You can also see how casual players can have pro shots in training but break up in a game, with all those training shots never appearing. It's cuz of the footwork and not being quick to recover positionally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoch
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I'm thinking the strokes aren't really a big deal and that it's being in position for the stroke thats the real mastery. Footwork, I think, is the biggest difference. Also an understanding of what good position is..
If you really want to get pro, ask your coach for footwork sessions without a bat, so you can reall focus on developing a one-step shuffle from any position to any other position :)

This is evident in training usually. As a pro you gym it out a LOT. As a casual you just come to the club to play. You can also see how casual players can have pro shots in training but break up in a game, with all those training shots never appearing. It's cuz of the footwork and not being quick to recover positionally.

Well, it probably goes hand in hand. Since without the basic strokes, it won't matter if you're in position or not to swing at the ball!

I also see people drilling a shot from one specific location with the same position each time. So when a ball during a game goes to a different location, they are not used to moving there or swinging at the new angle. Such as looping pushes from your backhand corner, but being weak at doing so from your forehand corner. In fact, I had a coach tell me this recently. He recommended hitting more balls to most people's forehand corner since it is a common problem for many. Myself included!

Of course at high levels... this would be a mistake! Since they can rip-loop that baby home!

Last edited: