Yelling When a Point is Won

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
am writing on behalf of MANY of my fellow Table Tennis Players to object to what is creeping into Table TennisOne stand out performer is Harimoto
He shouts out when he wins a point & I am told when the opponent misses
We all consider this a sneaky way of CHEATING as it is designed to put the other player off their game
Some might say this is just showing emotion but I can assure you it unnerves his opponent
If this is left unchecked the result will be people not bothering watching matches.
Next thing every player will SHOW THEIR EMOTION & spoil the game for the spectators
Tennis is grunting & I have spoken to many who say they just turn off the sound
I can envisage that happening with Table Tennis being a room full of yellers

Reactions: bobpuls

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hahaha choooo!
But why the best player Jan Ove Waldner did never yell?
Took too much energy to yell. Plus Swedes are not that big on displaying a lot of emotion, afaik.

The comparison with tennis is stupid. In tennis players grunt or scream or shriek, DURING the points. That is borderline cheating. In TT a player who does this is Dima, although for some reason the forum trolls have no problem with him. Also there is the common foot stomping on serve to mask the sound.

Yelling cho after a point, regardless of how the point ended, only affects an opponent to the extent that he is very mentally weak. To call it cheating is absurd.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
The problem with Harimoto's yelling probably isn't his opponent as they are expecting this to occur. Its the other matches going on in the same playing hall. Those players could be in a middle of a point which is punctuated with Harimoto's scream from a table or so away. That can't be great for those players. There have been times I'm watching an ITTF match and all of a sudden you hear Harimoto screaming from some other table.

I don't like Dima's grunting during a point and personally find it more irritating than Harimoto's scream. I find it irritating in tennis as well.

For those defending Harimoto's screaming, how would you feel if every player did this on every point. Imagine 8 or more tables in the playing hall with matches going on and every single player screaming at every point. I wouldn't find that to be a very enjoyable viewing experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
[...]
For those defending Harimoto's screaming, how would you feel if every player did this on every point. Imagine 8 or more tables in the playing hall with matches going on and every single player screaming at every point. I wouldn't find that to be a very enjoyable viewing experience.

Sure, I'm with you. Definitely not a fan of loud screaming after every point. Just that Tomokazu is 15 so, you know - a kid basically ... I can't imagine him shouting like that, when he is 20 though ...

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
AS what I said many time, the shouting of Harimoto is not really too much, he does not doing it during the point, he shouts after the point. He shouts not scream, it is a way to encourage himself and tell himself what he does during the point is right. If you watch soccer, the other team even celebrate when the opponent make mistake to make a own goal. They scream, they run all over the pitch.....etc. Karate, Martial Art ....they all make a bit of sound before they start their movement. Different people have different way to react what they achieve during the matches. At the stadium, there are many cheering sound, applaud sound, players should get used to it, again, no sound during the point anyway.
Not like tennis, some make a lot of screaming and shouting during the games.
Many people beat Harimoto even he shouts.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Took too much energy to yell. Plus Swedes are not that big on displaying a lot of emotion, afaik.

The comparison with tennis is stupid. In tennis players grunt or scream or shriek, DURING the points. That is borderline cheating. In TT a player who does this is Dima, although for some reason the forum trolls have no problem with him. Also there is the common foot stomping on serve to mask the sound.

Yelling cho after a point, regardless of how the point ended, only affects an opponent to the extent that he is very mentally weak. To call it cheating is absurd.

This is a misconception, I think it has more to do with transference of weight, which the foot stomp assists with on the serve. Agreed with your other points, even though I don't like choing myself. The way Harimoto cho's however I think is respectful and everyone says how respectful Harimoto is as a player.. from professional coaches to players. Sure, if I played against him, the choing would get to me, but I would also understand that it's nothing personal and that he only uses it to pump himself up.

Some kids have cho'd directly at me in a disrespectful way and it's a horrible experience. But this is absolutely not the case with Harimoto, all one needs to do is watch how apologetic he is on edge or net balls in addition to how much respect he shows to his opponents after the game, in interviews and so on.

As a spectator I think Harimoto brings a lot of energy to the game, it's enjoyable to watch and hear how passionate he is. But it's definitely not something I'd want everyone to do. In some sense it suits Harimoto.

It's a shame people have to complain about it so much, so many unnecessary posts. What's the point of complaining about it on here? You're not going to change anything. Accept it or ignore it. Harimoto isn't going to change his choing because a couple of people on an internet forum are upset. Still, I get it, it's understandable that it gets to people as it's obviously not that pleasant being on the receiving end of loud choing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
It's so great to start 2019 with such an interesting and unusual discussion. I'm really looking forward to many more of these throughout the coming months.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Honestly, the writing and formatting feel like this thread was started by a bot trying to mimic how kids write nowadays...

Nice 1st post 1 and half year after registration! Must've taken a lot of courage!! All thanks to Harimoto!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Honestly, the writing and formatting feel like this thread was started by a bot trying to mimic how kids write nowadays...

Nice 1st post 1 and half year after registration! Must've taken a lot of courage!! All thanks to Harimoto!!!

Heh ... you might be right @Zeio ... Freaking AI age ...

WLQ must be eating his heart out - all that chooing and fist pumping and no reaction on TT forums. But as soon as a little kid does it, that's it - the sport has been ruined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Z4fdc7Ygk

Oh come on, WLQ does not even compare as he chooes only once, not three times ... Thanks for the video anyways, haven't seen him for a while. Such a firm forehand stroke ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This is a misconception, I think it has more to do with transference of weight, which the foot stomp assists with on the serve. Agreed with your other points, even though I don't like choing myself. The way Harimoto cho's however I think is respectful and everyone says how respectful Harimoto is as a player.. from professional coaches to players. Sure, if I played against him, the choing would get to me, but I would also understand that it's nothing personal and that he only uses it to pump himself up.

Some kids have cho'd directly at me in a disrespectful way and it's a horrible experience. But this is absolutely not the case with Harimoto, all one needs to do is watch how apologetic he is on edge or net balls in addition to how much respect he shows to his opponents after the game, in interviews and so on.

As a spectator I think Harimoto brings a lot of energy to the game, it's enjoyable to watch and hear how passionate he is. But it's definitely not something I'd want everyone to do. In some sense it suits Harimoto.

It's a shame people have to complain about it so much, so many unnecessary posts. What's the point of complaining about it on here? You're not going to change anything. Accept it or ignore it. Harimoto isn't going to change his choing because a couple of people on an internet forum are upset. Still, I get it, it's understandable that it gets to people as it's obviously not that pleasant being on the receiving end of loud choing.
Agreed 100% about what you said about Harimoto.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi