Last chance to find a coating that suits me before giving up

Hello, in relation to my difficulties in playing table tennis, there is also the rubbers which poses a problem to me apart from blade.
My big problem is that the technique does not imprint itself on my body as a player. I think I played too long with plastic rackets in the garage and since I wanted to play in a club with real equipment, it completely destabilized me and I can't do it because of the effects of the rotation of the ball.
For push during exercise, I can't get the right angle of shot, so either I have too much angle and it bounces too much, or it's not enough and it goes into the net, Or maybe I miss the ball.
Same for the tops: I can't get the feel for the ball to brush it, as a result I often miss it or hit it. No matter how much I train, nothing works.
I don't know if short or long pimples could help me, and here again you need to know what thickness of sponge to take...
And to those who constantly say that you have to eat ball and train, that's what I do, but I still can't do it. Even the coach doesn't care about me anymore since I can't do it and all I can do is hit flat.
So in a situation with uncertainties, when the opponent makes backspin, by the time I realize it, it is too late and I give the point to the opponent either by putting the ball in the net or out of it. the table is too high and the opponent smashes. And even if I try to push and I'm lucky that the opponent made a cut serve, well because of the bad angle I still make the mistake.

Finally, the coach told me that I only had to put on two antitops, and that there was no longer any point in me coming to training. Because for him, ping-pong is a sport that doesn't appeal to me, that I will forever remain a camping player...

• Sad
Reactions: Crillo
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One thing (actually three in one) you can try to do to make it easier to handle spin and make control is to make a really loose grip at impact and try to impact the ball several cm from the bounce with only a small motion - no crazy movement or long swing, it isn't needed.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Maybe your racket is still too fast for you. I would first try a hardbat racket as it has very good control and needs some force to move the ball. Then go faster from there. Something like this from colestt.com or similar. Maybe watch some hardbat videos and assess whether you usually play like this.

2024_0208_1623_31_nxa11113.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
HI TOBIAS
given your statements you need to find the humility to start at the very beginning:-

Using your current racket teach yourself to bounce the ball 50 times without error. Then do the same with the other hand.This will show you can control yourself and the ball.

Succeeding in this proves that you have the potential to learn from coaching if you are patient and humble.
Don't be in a hurry.
A lifetime learning to play tt is an enjoyable and interesting journey to make whatever level you reach

Maybe your racket is still too fast for you. I would first try a hardbat racket as it has very good control and needs some force to move the ball. Then go faster from there. Something like this from colestt.com or similar. Maybe watch some hardbat videos and assess whether you usually play like this.

View attachment 28346
Ok, i will look for that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
How long have you been receiving coaching?

I couldn't hit a consistent topspin FH shot for the life of me for most of my first year training. I had a coach, I hit the ball spinner all the time, and just never got the feel for it. I played VR TT for like two years over covid and it was all over the table quick reaction flat hitting for the most part, so I had to unlearn a lot of that.

Only a few months ago did it really click and now I can 'feel' the ball on my racket. Even though my mind knew what to do, there was a huge lag time between that and my body actually doing what I wanted it to do (use weight transfer, don't initiate motion with my arm, accelerate through the ball, etc.). It wasn't slow and steady progress but more like I didn't know how to do it until I suddenly could.

So if you've only been training for less than a year, I think there's still hope. If it's been many years now, then maybe you can consider doing something drastic. Not everyone needs to be Loopy McLoopface on the table, and there are a lot of different styles that might click with you better.

Reactions: blahness and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I think that you have to go your own way too and not try to adjust to something that is not working for you.
Go for something more controllable and not spin sensitive like some medium or short pimples rubber with softer sponge, or a Giant Dragon Submarine, a slow rubber with lots of control and no catapult effect what so ever. Check out Chinese rubbers. They are most often very linear and quite cheap as well.

Everyone plays in their own way, so just try to find what setup could make your playing style shine :)

Reactions: lodro
Everyone plays in their own way, so just try to find what setup could make your playing style shine
Yes, it's a long road, and I'm going to have to take it upon myself and test things to rediscover the pleasure of playing because not achieving my goals leads to frustration. Finding the types of rubbers that are not magical but would help me gain confidence is not so simple. Because between the thicknesses and hardness of the sponge, the stickiness of the topsheet, the tackiness of the covering, the release angle, etc. it's very complicated. (it's like when I go to a store to buy clothes, I'm poison for the salesman because I'm so complicated and not up to standard !)
Well, it's not ideal to go home after training and be grumpy towards others when you fail.

About the rubber Giant Dragon Submarine, according to user feedback, there is a big quality problem where certain rubbers bubble or come off after only a few hours of play. And as an alternative, there wouldn't be much of an equivalent, which is a shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: mocker88
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
ping-pong is a sport that doesn't appeal to me, that I will forever remain a camping player...
So what ??? Even if you are a "camping- or garage player" you probably could still beat roughly 8 billion people in a match.

Also, you might never fit in a club that is made up from highly competitive players. Look for a club that has a good mix of competitive players and recreational players then you will find a level that will be fun to play and if you persist you will gradually improve your game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Yes, it's a long road, and I'm going to have to take it upon myself and test things to rediscover the pleasure of playing because not achieving my goals leads to frustration. Finding the types of rubbers that are not magical but would help me gain confidence is not so simple. Because between the thicknesses and hardness of the sponge, the stickiness of the topsheet, the tackiness of the covering, the release angle, etc. it's very complicated. (it's like when I go to a store to buy clothes, I'm poison for the salesman because I'm so complicated and not up to standard !)
Well, it's not ideal to go home after training and be grumpy towards others when you fail.

About the rubber Giant Dragon Submarine, according to user feedback, there is a big quality problem where certain rubbers bubble or come off after only a few hours of play. And as an alternative, there wouldn't be much of an equivalent, which is a shame...
No it's not simple at all, but I think your current rubbers might be a bit bouncy and grippy for you if you have difficulties returning spinny balls etc. I can only speak for the rubbers I've tried myself, and Giant Dragon Submarine is an odd rubber. It's a bit tacky, but kind of kills some spin and speed from incoming balls. And I think it was some years ago Giant Dragon had most of these problems. I've sold quite a few of these and didn't hear anything yet. And I play with this in 2.0mm on an offensive blade, but it's not my first choice as I'm more of an attacking player and usually have a faster spinnier rubber on my backhand.

729 Geospin (GS) is also a nice slow rubber with a good price tag. Tacky but not that spinny and lots of control.

There's also a short pips rubber in 729 Mystery III 802 that you could get with a 35 deg softer sponge and as thin as 1.7mm sponge. Something like this could fit you as well.

But if you want to continue to play table tennis, it's essential that you learn how to handle spin in all ways possible. You just need to use rubbers that let you get an easier start with this issue.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Stop over thinking it. Watch some tutorials, go in, try them out, and if they don't work just have fun and play the game. Don't sweat it.

How long have you been playing with proper equipment? If you haven't played for long it makes sense that you can't do what you want. I couldn't play stable fh topspins until I played for 3 years. And 8 years later, my bh has just become stable.