Equipment assistance

So as displayed probably in my signature, I am currently using a Timo Boll ALC with xiom vega pro on my FH and donic acuda S3 on my BH. Long story short, I would like to change my FH rubber to a Chinese rubber, probably a variant of Hurricane 3. I've been playing and training table tennis since a decade. I've used the H3 commercial when I first learned table tennis, and changed to donic bluefire M1, baracuda, and finally to vega pro, for my FH. The main reason of why I wanted to change back in using Chinese rubber is that it to some extent fits my playing style. I am an all-rounder who prefers to loop, and drive, for which I can brushes the ball decently. I don't like and would avoid the idea of flat hitting. I'm decent in any distance rallies.

I am better in brush looping the ball with my FH, and hence using a Chinese tacky rubber might help me to amplify the effect more. Also the xiom vega pro doesn't give me the gear I desire. I always lose to long-distance rallies from my opponent, due to the lack of gears that I can put into for my speed and spin. But I feel like I can improve more on putting more speed in my loops and drives.

After hearing all these, wish someone would give me some guidance or recommendations of which Chinese rubber I should use. Considering that I'm planning to change from a xiom vega pro to a Chinese rubber. Probably something not too hard in the spectrum.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Reactor Tornado v5 is slightly less tacky hurricane 3 alternative. Get it in med-hard sponge, and its dirt cheap. If not that, whats wrong with just sticking with hurricane 3? You can also look at skyline 3 if youre interested in emphasizing loops and rallies

As I used a Chinese rubber when I first learned table tennis. I guess this shaped my looping and forehand movement. I would want to stick with DHS, as more people are using it from my club, and hence I might get more advice from them regarding my skill paired with the rubber. The commercial H3 is also notorious for their hardness, so I would avoid that considering I that'm changing from vega pro.

Also what's the difference between hurricane and skyline? Apart from hurricane being more commonly used than skyline.
And another question, what's the difference from orange sponge and blue sponge?

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
After hearing all these, wish someone would give me some guidance or recommendations of which Chinese rubber I should use. Considering that I'm planning to change from a xiom vega pro to a Chinese rubber. Probably something not too hard in the spectrum.

HzM5s45.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Battle 2 or Bloom Power?

I have the Bloom Power on one of my loaner bats, noticeably faster than H3. The 47 degree version is harder than H3, but it comes in different sponges.

I had a brief hit with a clubmate's Tibhar MX-S, not as hard as Chinese rubbers, but much faster and should give you the gears you want.

I want something medium to high hardness, and tackiness. I would want to avoid jumping to very hard, or something with least tackiness. But I also don't want rubber with tackiness topping the chart, just like the Battle 2 rubber you suggested.

I'm interested in the H3N provincial BS.

but hearing what I've said, does it fits me?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I don't use tacky rubbers but having read yogi_bear's reviews, you should check out the one of the Sanwei Target - I think the name is - Pro 90, the one with the red cover (in the softer sponges). I know he's made this recommendation several times, for people in your situation.

Edit: here it is.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?20791-New-Sanwei-Target-90-Red-Provincial-amp-Target-Pro-Blue-National

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Isn’t the whole point of Chinese rubbers to be cheaper, hard, and tacky?

I would recommend one of the newer batch of ESN 50+ degree rubbers such as Xiom Omega 7 Asia or maybe even Tenergy 05 Hard

Last edited:
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
The battle 2 is too hard and tacky for me to adjust to. This might drastically impair my performance when I struggled to put in the speed.

Well money isn't a problem for me.

If money isnt a problem and you want to try the h3 provincial (neo or not) just buy it. Sounds like you were looking for more of a confirmation of a plan you already had.

I personally like even the normal/commercial h3n, not sure about durability since I have not played with it that long but performance is what people have described, especially this "pang" sound it makes when I flat hit thats like saying "No, bad, dont hit like that ya twat".

This user has no status.
Goodness, what's with all these recommendations of random no name brands. Alright, I get it 729 is a decent brand, but if someone wants to try Chinese rubber, just recommend H3 or a variant of it.

OP, it's as simple as this. Do you plan to boost or not. If not, get a H3N 39 degree (commercial or provincial) and orange sponge is fine.

If you plan to boost, get the equivalent versions in either H3 or H3N.

Forget other tacky rubbers. I'm not aware of any Chinese coaches here that recommend anything other than H3.

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
You can get Battle 2 all the way down easily to 38deg and you are only able to easily get about 37ish hurricane.

The problem if you want a Soft Non-Tacky chinese rubber. Thats is the entire point of chinese rubbers. Maybe hurricane 3-50 but its still tacky.

If you want a semi hard low tacky rubber then you are looking for Butterfly Spin Art or if thats too chinese then MX-P.

Good luck!

What i'm looking for is a tacky and hard rubber, but not too extreme. As i hv trouble creating spinny short serves. Also i noticed that people who use the hurricane have a more abnormal loops and rallies, the ball just have a lower arc once they bounce on the opposing table. I want that effect.

So i would want to ask for a h3 guide, which variant suits my case more.

This user has no status.
Lol yea. I'm leaning towards buying the h3 or its variant. More people from my club use those, and so i can get advice from different people more easily. On top of that i received multiple recommendations to change to hurricane.

I have heard that the national ones are actually fake. Because if you think about it, national means the rubbers are made to be used by the national team exclusively, right?(I could be wrong). If it is,doesn't the act of selling you a national version violate the point of the national version? Why should you be able to use that? Where do they smuggle it from?

It just sounds fishy to me. Yes, even the fake(national blue sponge/ provincial) ones might play better than commercial ones but they just inflate the price to a ridiculous degree because they make it sounds like it is the real one that would have been used by the national team but stole it somehow and sold it to you.

But even if it is real, I wouldn't be able to afford it. In short, if you are absolutely fixed on DHS, just buy the commercial ones and boost it if you want to. If not, you would have to break in manually.I don't really get what "break in" means either but I guess it means hitting the dead hard sponge with balls to make the sponge softer eventually.

I find the Nittaku hurricane pro III turbo blue (50 deg hardness) to be the closest to the DHS hurricane but with better quality control and factory boosting from my research(I want to try it but I haven't have the chance yet.). If you don't know yet, the DHS quality control is pretty crappy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
The provincial and national versions are not fake (especially if you buy them directly from DHS). Think of them as different QA levels where you get the best piece of sponge and topsheet when you buy national version. It's however (most likely) not the version that the CNT uses.

I guess it depends on what our definition of "fake" is but thinking of N>P>C in terms of quality is a good way to think of it.
Do you know what the official DHS website is? Is it this one? http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/rubbers
h3.jpg
But it just told me to visit TT11 which is a legit website but really?? That doesn't seem like a very direct channel, unlike for example, butterfly, which has its own online shop.

Am I on the wrong one?