ok Who is the greatest chinese player,,,obviously waldner is the best ever euro

This user has no status.
After a great debate on who is the greatest Waldner or Ma long....

Lets see who people think is the GREATEST ever chinese Male player....

here s a decent list to be going on with...if you can think of others please put them on list. ..

1 Guo yue huo
2 chuang tse tsung
3.Wang liquin
4.liu guo liang
5 Kong ling hue
5 ma lin
6Jiang ji liang
7Wang hao
8jaing zhike
9.ma long
10.he zhi wen Took ma long and wang liquin to 4-2 and he s fifty and plays with short pips...
11 wang tao
12chen xinhua

My personal favorite and a player who along with bengtson inspired me to take up the bat is guo, who probably only lost about 5 times over 6 years....

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Well Waldner only played Guo Yuehua twice and he lost both times, his win ratio against Jiang Jialiang was 4-8. Guoliang was 4-5. In my mind it is between these three players.

Gold Medals in Singles
Guo Yuehua: 2 World Championships, 2 World Cups, 1 Asia Games
Jiang Jialiang: 2 World Championships, 1 World Cup, 1 Asia Games
Liu Guoliang: 1 World Championship, 1 Olympic Games, 6 ITTF Pro Tour Events

From this I think it's fair to say Guo Yuehua is the best chinese player, as remember the first Olympics to host table tennis were Seoul, Korea in 1988 which were won by Yoo Nam Kyu. Jiang and Guo never competed in an Olympic Games. Wang Liqin is also a hard player to fit in, he won 3 World Championships, but it's hard to say he is the best Chinese player ever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Well Waldner only played Guo Yuehua twice and he lost both times, his win ratio against Jiang Jialiang was 4-8. Guoliang was 4-5. In my mind it is between these three players.

Gold Medals in Singles
Guo Yuehua: 2 World Championships, 2 World Cups, 1 Asia Games
Jiang Jialiang: 2 World Championships, 1 World Cup, 1 Asia Games
Liu Guoliang: 1 World Championship, 1 Olympic Games, 6 ITTF Pro Tour Events

From this I think it's fair to say Guo Yuehua is the best chinese player, as remember the first Olympics to host table tennis were Seoul, Korea in 1988 which were won by Yoo Nam Kyu. Jiang and Guo never competed in an Olympic Games. Wang Liqin is also a hard player to fit in, he won 3 World Championships, but it's hard to say he is the best Chinese player ever.

I agre. wang liqin definetly isnt the best ever- he hasnt even got to the final of olympics- i would actually say that ma lin is better than him. but have to agree on the point of guo yuehua being the best.
i think we should have threads on this for loads of different countries, like japan korea and england (they used to be good) imo its: dont know for japan, Korea is tough but id say yoo na kyu kim taek soo or joo se hyuk personally, england probably des douglas as he was the onl english player ever to beat waldner (i think..)

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I can certainly relate to Guo Yuehua. He lost the semis to Klampar in 1981 worlds in Kuala Lumpur. My late father took me to the national stadium to see that match, I was 12. Klampar went on to win the title beating another chinese Saike. Back then we all know Guo by his native name Kuo Yao-Hua. A great competitor. He went to several schools in Kuala Lumpur to promote TT after the games, and my coach Li introduced us all to him.

Here's the video of the finals 1981

Reactions: Giangt
This user has no status.
Some great points raised, maybe the question should be who is the most succesful player or your favorite player, but I think were looking at records here.I am really looking at the most succesful in world tourneys etc ....
Any way a few replies.
jiang lost to erik lindh from sweden in1988 olympics in four games, lindh defeated Klampar 3-1 for the bronze.
Klamper beat xie and guo in the world cup not the officail world champs ,guo beat cai zhenhua in 81..to win his first ,he done the same in 83...
crickey I cant believe I did not put in ma lin, he and wang were my fav chinese over last ten years....
I know Alan Cooke and he beat Waldner a few times , but never in big ones, cookie says wadldi is the best player he ever came across...
Great replies guys..what about other great players like teng yi, and li zhen zhi who now lives in usa....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Some great points raised, maybe the question should be who is the most succesful player or your favorite player, but I think were looking at records here.I am really looking at the most succesful in world tourneys etc ....
Any way a few replies.
jiang lost to erik lindh from sweden in1988 olympics in four games, lindh defeated Klampar 3-1 for the bronze.
Klamper beat xie and guo in the world cup not the officail world champs ,guo beat cai zhenhua in 81..to win his first ,he done the same in 83...
crickey I cant believe I did not put in ma lin, he and wang were my fav chinese over last ten years....
I know Alan Cooke and he beat Waldner a few times , but never in big ones, cookie says wadldi is the best player he ever came across...
Great replies guys..what about other great players like teng yi, and li zhen zhi who now lives in usa....

I still stick with Guo yuehua for this one. Also we have missed out some decent players that have represented other countries...arent a lot of the hong Kong players chinese natives? As in not from Hong Kong, obviously I know it's in china...
An interesting debate would be who is the best player...EVER? Thats bound to raise a few eyebrows on the forum :)

This user has no status.
He Zhi Wen is on the list as he won the world cup in 83 beating all the chinese, he still competes at world level for Spain, he is 50 years old..I seen him push Wang liquin all the way at the English open, he recently took Ma Long 4-2 all very close games... An incredible feat,.I seen him destroy Boll in 98 Euros after Boll had defeated Waldner in the first round of the Euros.He was 37 then . He plays with short pips on one side...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I just can't get it how on earth is Ma Lin not on that list instead of players like Zhang Jike and Ma Long who are like beginners compared to him?? How can they be on the list when they can still hugely improve and aren't the best they can be yet?
I can imagine a 23-year old Ma Lin giving them quite a ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: LethalForehand
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When nice thread. Fun how all over eh place it is.

He Zhi Wen is pretty amazing. Not the best Chinese player ever but pretty, still, what he can do at his age is amazing.

When Wang Liqin was at the top of his game he was outrageously dominant. There were just two periods where he was more dominant than anyone else. Between September 2000 and September 2002 he was virtually unbeatable; and again from May of 2004 through January of 2007 he was close to unstoppable, except at the the Olympics. :) The way he beat people down with his forehand was pretty impressive.

Mar 2011
Yeah Carl, given any other day, I would've said Wang Liqin hands down..but unfortunately he never got the big ones (world cup and olympics). If he did, I would say he was the greatest in the world of all time.:) In 2001, he won the singles and doubles (with Yan Sen), and in 2005 & 2007 he won the singles and mix doubles (with Guo Yue) in WTTC. And that's a record by itself. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Well Friends I really don't have enough knowledge about it even I've seen just few of those and a few matches but about it all I'd like to say i mean I'll vote Guo yue huo that's the best as my opinion...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Zhang Xielin is the greatest upsetter back then.
The greates through achievment could be Guo Yehua.
I don't know if he is the greatest upsetter though. He completely dominated the Japanese when he first came up with LPs and his new defensive penhold chopping, but he never had much success against his national teammates zhuang zedong and li furong. And he never won a big world title.