What's the cause of overshooting ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha, I hope not. I never changed blades the last 10 years.
But it's a bit silly to search for all solutions in rubbers and discarding the blade.

I just wanted to experience an all wood blade because in 25 years of table tennis I never played with one.
And 29 Euro for a classic blade like Primorac isn't a big waste.

Good to know this isn't about the EJ journey and having the EJ virus.

Since that is the case, if you wanted to try:

Korbel
Korbel SK7
Clipper
Extreme S
Acoustic
Tenor
OSP Ultimate II
OSP Martin
Stratus Power Wood
Samsonov Force Pro

There are more. Anyone who wants to add some faster all wood blades to the list can go ahead. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
A friend of mine has a brand new Ma Lin Extra offensive I could try for free but I have no clue if that is faster or slower then the Primorac.

I'm not sure if it's worth trying out

What are you going to loose by trying? Worst case scenario, you don't like it, and going to drink a beer with a friend.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A friend of mine has a brand new Ma Lin Extra offensive I could try for free but I have no clue if that is faster or slower then the Primorac.

I'm not sure if it's worth trying out

Ma Lin Extra Offensive is a pretty hard blade. Primorac has much more control. Even though I was joking around, all the blades I listed above have a Limba top ply which is the same top ply as the Primorac and much softer than the top ply of either the Viscaria or the Ma Lin Extra Offensive. Ma Lin Extra Offensive is definitely faster than Primorac.

But, still, it is worth a try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
A common sense way to look at this is:
if you are an overshooter then its more likely that your shots that DO land on the table will be deep and deep shots will pressure opponents more

So :

a quality ball is a deep ball
aim high to go deep
try to pay attention to how deep your topspin lands. Its good for your shot to land close to the end line. If your shot lands mid table its poor length because its easier for opponent to step into it.
This is a basic technique in all raquet sports

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A common sense way to look at this is:
if you are an overshooter then its more likely that your shots that DO land on the table will be deep and deep shots will pressure opponents more

So :

a quality ball is a deep ball
aim high to go deep
try to pay attention to how deep your topspin lands. Its good for your shot to land close to the end line. If your shot lands mid table its poor length because its easier for opponent to step into it.
This is a basic technique in all raquet sports

But having control of the depth is valuable. And being able to land balls close to the net that still have pace has its advantages. If a ball is deep, you cannot create as wide an angle. The closer you can land a ball to the net because of the arc on your shot, the wider an angle you can create. :)

It is valuable to be able to do both.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
But having control of the depth is valuable. And being able to land balls close to the net that still have pace has its advantages. If a ball is deep, you cannot create as wide an angle. The closer you can land a ball to the net because of the arc on your shot, the wider an angle you can create. :)

It is valuable to be able to do both.

I certainly agree that very short balls can be good length. But usualy they are backspin serves or pushes. Very short topspin balls on the other hand can be dealt with very easily by the opponent.
One of the exercises i give my pupils is to play steady forehands to the same place mid table. Once they are in a rhythm i send a surprise ball to the endline. The effect of this to immediately test the pupils footwork so (s)he has to step back in order to produce the next shot with good weight transfer. If the surprise ball is shorter instead then the adjustment is much easier. This perhaps the simplest way to illustrate 'good length'.
The next step is to develop the pupils ability to develop good length. a chalk line six inches from the end line is useful for this. Pupil is require to play steady topspin while noting whether his ball lands in the good length area. Over some months practice pupils will become comfortable with playing consistently closer to the endline. The same principals apply to quality in lobbing.
One common fault is to try to achieve depth by hitting harder. In fact its better to aim higher with a good arc. Over months of practice one acquires the feeling of how hard or high to hit the ball to consistent good length.
if the pupil persists in hitting harder rather than higher., one of the effects is that is partner is able to pressure a deep return which he may not be able to handle because the pupil took away his own time by introducing speed without quality

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, it sounds like you may have missed my point. Someone who is choosing to land the ball long and can land the ball with control, where they want is different from someone who keeps missing long and cannot land the ball where they want. And someone who has the potential to land the ball short or long, can create bigger angles because, if you land the ball near the end line, you cannot get the ball to angle anywhere near as much to the side as if you can land a ball that is angling to the side and exits the sideline closer to the net than to the end.

Again, the choice, having the control to land the ball where you want. And if someone is consistently shooting long and can't land the ball short, something is going on that needs to be adjusted.

So, yes, if you are shooting more in the middle of the table, between the sidelines, long, near the end line has some value. But having the control to put the ball where you want should be part of that.

And, I have noticed, in match play, when someone is very used to bang, bang, bang where all the balls are very fast, a really spinny slow loop, without changing depth can mess a player's timing up. A slow loop that bounces near the net and just clears the end of the table (hand breaker length) can be a real weapon. And being able to do that means you can make KRAZY angles that bring your opponent wide enough that the table is wide open. Especially if you have a hook on the wide angle to make it even wider.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
To me, it sounds like you may have missed my point. Someone who is choosing to land the ball long and can land the ball with control, where they want is different from someone who keeps missing long and cannot land the ball where they want. And someone who has the potential to land the ball short or long, can create bigger angles because, if you land the ball near the end line, you cannot get the ball to angle anywhere near as much to the side as if you can land a ball that is angling to the side and exits the sideline closer to the net than to the end.

Again, the choice, having the control to land the ball where you want. And if someone is consistently shooting long and can't land the ball short, something is going on that needs to be adjusted.

So, yes, if you are shooting more in the middle of the table, between the sidelines, long, near the end line has some value. But having the control to put the ball where you want should be part of that.

And, I have noticed, in match play, when someone is very used to bang, bang, bang where all the balls are very fast, a really spinny slow loop, without changing depth can mess a player's timing up. A slow loop that bounces near the net and just clears the end of the table (hand breaker length) can be a real weapon. And being able to do that means you can make KRAZY angles that bring your opponent wide enough that the table is wide open. Especially if you have a hook on the wide angle to make it even wider.

my bad carl
i was really just expounding on the principals of good length which is a hobby horse of mine , as opposed to challenging your post

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I certainly agree that very short balls can be good length. But usualy they are backspin serves or pushes. Very short topspin balls on the other hand can be dealt with very easily by the opponent.
One of the exercises i give my pupils is to play steady forehands to the same place mid table. Once they are in a rhythm i send a surprise ball to the endline. The effect of this to immediately test the pupils footwork so (s)he has to step back in order to produce the next shot with good weight transfer. If the surprise ball is shorter instead then the adjustment is much easier. This perhaps the simplest way to illustrate 'good length'.
The next step is to develop the pupils ability to develop good length. a chalk line six inches from the end line is useful for this. Pupil is require to play steady topspin while noting whether his ball lands in the good length area. Over some months practice pupils will become comfortable with playing consistently closer to the endline. The same principals apply to quality in lobbing.
One common fault is to try to achieve depth by hitting harder. In fact its better to aim higher with a good arc. Over months of practice one acquires the feeling of how hard or high to hit the ball to consistent good length.
if the pupil persists in hitting harder rather than higher., one of the effects is that is partner is able to pressure a deep return which he may not be able to handle because the pupil took away his own time by introducing speed without quality

You're right about it being more difficult to move backwards, re-set and execute a shot
but I think that a good length ball is one that causes an opponent trouble wherever it lands on the table!!!!

This depends on where the opponent is / isn't and this is where the shorter ball comes into play for additional width and angles that can be created.

I've had similar training sessions but we use a cloth on the table, with maybe 250mm of the end of the table uncovered, to encourage good (long) length, but the coach also makes us play differing depth / shorter balls, balls with more / less spin / speed, sometimes height, so we get a really good 'feel' for the stroke and control of the stroke
Generally though the emphasis is on a good long length ball with the variation being spin and speed.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
my bad carl
i was really just expounding on the principals of good length which is a hobby horse of mine , as opposed to challenging your post

Fair enough. And it is completely true that it is always easier to move forward when you need to move in. And harder to move back. :)