fixing the bad habit of straightening the upper body during looping

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
Tony is right as always, you have to fix the technical issue before going to multiball.
yes, but currently the technique is wrong
wrong technique going into multiball, will just make a bigger problem
so the first thing is to get a teacher..
or he can go my way - I self-taught RPB by watching youtubes, train with the robot and fix myself little by little. But it would take much longer than finding a teacher :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi,

had a group coaching session yesterday, and the main issue for me according to the coach was that I tend to „get up“ from my nice low starting position and straighten my upper body during the looping motion, like I was getting up from a chair. my loop is fairly powerful but this costs me stability, and its easy to overshoot since my body goes forward + upwards

Do you have tips on how I can break this habit of mine? All I can do is try to constantly remind myself during play, but that doesn‘t seem to click well for my brain.

Looking forward to your ideas, thanks!
HI DOPPEL
plenty of good advice here.
my suggestion is to do shadow play with a mirror. You can experiment with the problem technique and compare with how it feels and looks when you stroke correctly.
Mirror in this instance is better than camera because feedback is immediate,
go for it!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
had a group coaching session yesterday, and the main issue for me according to the coach was that I tend to „get up“ from my nice low starting position and straighten my upper body during the looping motion, like I was getting up from a chair. my loop is fairly powerful but this costs me stability, and its easy to overshoot since my body goes forward + upwards

Do you have tips on how I can break this habit of mine? All I can do is try to constantly remind myself during play, but that doesn‘t seem to click well for my brain.

I like to train "BH/FH" to a good blocker who give balls to the BH and then to the FH, regularly first, and at the end randomly (I always to his BH). There is not much time (which is also a point), and sometimes I don't have time to properly put weight on the right foot, to take energy back from it by pushing it. In such case you can take the energy a bit by going "down" with the body a bit. Like this going down with the body a bit gives this energy to go up and forward with the arm. Kind of counter-action ;-) Well, this is also counter-action, because your problem is going "up" ;-)

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Telling yourself to not do something while you play seldom works. So forget about not straightening up. You have to find a positive statement of what you can do that fixes the problem.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I like to train "BH/FH" to a good blocker who give balls to the BH and then to the FH, regularly first, and at the end randomly (I always to his BH). There is not much time (which is also a point), and sometimes I don't have time to properly put weight on the right foot, to take energy back from it by pushing it. In such case you can take the energy a bit by going "down" with the body a bit. Like this going down with the body a bit gives this energy to go up and forward with the arm. Kind of counter-action ;-) Well, this is also counter-action, because your problem is going "up" ;-)
Good blockers are hard to find. only Players that use body properly can block well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Good blockers are hard to find.

Agreed.

only Players that use body properly can block well.

Disagreed ;-)

Edit: He's a bit older, and I play to one place at his BH (if it goes well). He doesn't really need to move much. Has great hand. Hard to beat when we count ;-)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
While implementing the techniques mentioned here you will probably still stand up a great deal more than you think you do, because your feeling for height isn't good.

For immediate feedback have someone stand next to you and hold their hand (or broomstick or whatever..) above your head in a way that you have to stay low. Try to hit many shots on both sides in a row without bumping your head. Then once you feel the new height of your 'ceiling', then use all the techniques to move optimally in it.

Example (the preview picture already shows the idea, the clip doesn't add much more):