Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Oh well. Congrats China. Ironically I think Ishikawa played the best on Japan's side. Maybe Kihara, Nagasaki, and another fetus born from a peach can take home gold next olympics.

Hina Hayata should be there in Paris. I'm also high on ZYL killer, Miyu Nagasaki. I watched some of her Asian Champs qualifier matches. Her strokes are fluid, efficient, and can generate a ton of power when needed. She went through Hitomi Sato without breaking a sweat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
In my opinion Hayata is not as dynamic as LYJ, She does the strawberry alright but she still tries to hit Hard and outrally the other Player like the average CNT Player, so barring some shock wins from time to time, I don't see her doing much.
As for Pavade, I've not watched her for some time but yeah she is good, but she can only Challenge China with good funding, world class coaches and world class teammates - like Japan's program, I don't see France having that (esp the teammates part ngl in a long time) and it'll stunt her progress.
The biggest threat is still Ito for now, my issue with her game today is she focused too much on serve and free points in the first 2 set, Also missed a couple of Sitters, a little too much unforced error , Shasha Wasn't giving her much sugar on the receive, only towards the end of the 2nd did she Explore variations, In the 3rd she was on classic variations Mode and Sun had no answers, 4th Sun had an early lead and tightened the noose.
Ito on 100 percent with serve, tricks and variations in free flow is still their biggest threat, Also she was working on matching the Chinese in the rallies, And She was getting some results, now bar some few spectacular points, She seems a bit hesitant on the rallies, like she knows She'll lose it or something and then she over plays it out

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Apparently, LSW elbow not too "injured" to prevent her from clapping in the stands.

she literally had a surgery on her elbow 1 year ago. I'll let you do the maths on how bad must an injury be for an athlete to opt for a surgery 1 year before the Olympics. Getting really tired of dummies with a hate boner for China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

she literally had a surgery on her elbow 1 year ago. I'll let you do the maths on how bad must an injury be for an athlete to opt for a surgery 1 year before the Olympics. Getting really tired of dummies with a hate boner for China.

I don't hate China.

You can believe what you want to believe. I'll do the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Germany has to win the doubles 2morrow, if not i don't see them winning 2 matches

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018

I do not have the slightest hatred for China ... This is a great country ...
And I have great respect for Chinese players, including those who played back in 1960-1970 ...
As for L.S.W. specifically, she is my idol, like Mima Ito and Hina Hayata ...

(and her tears are here, after the defeat in the final - and my tears ...)

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Been glued to the big screen the whole day since Hong Kong had a chance at medaling in 3 sports, ultimately succeeding in 2.

H2H before Tokyo 2020
Soo Wai Yam vs Han Ying 0-0
Soo Wai Yam vs Shan Xiaona 0-2
Doo Hoi Kem vs Petrissa Solja 3-5

but H2H is useless for Olympics/WTTC

Rio 2016
QF GER 3-1 HKG
(3) Han Ying/Petrissa Solja/Shan Xiaona
(5) Tie Ya Na/Doo Hoi Kem/Lee Ho Ching

Tokyo 2020
Bronze HKG 3-1 GER
(4) Doo Hoi Kem/Lee Ho Ching/Soo Wai Yam(all home-grown players for the very first time)
(3) Han Ying/Shan Xiaona/Petrissa Solja

https://tokyo2020.sportsroad.hk/2021/08/【東京奧運】領港女乒力爭銅牌-重溫李靜歷年十大/
https://orientaldaily.on.cc/content/體育/odn-20210804-0804_00286_012/搏盡無悔釋放自己創佳績
https://tokyo2020.sportsroad.hk/2021/08/【東奧直擊】蘇慧音成變陣奇兵:對得起「搏盡無/
During 3-1 against Brazil:
李静:「X,你企喺中間喇。」
Li Ching: "F***, stand in the middle already!" (directed at DHK, and caught on live TV)

After 3-1 against Romania:
李静:「不過女仔有時係咁㗎啦,見到幸福要夠膽攞先得。」
Li Ching: "Girls are like that sometimes, they gotta be brave to seize happiness when the chance presents."

After 0-3 against Japan:
李静:「我諗睇多啲鬼片喇,膽生毛就有夠膽贏。」
Li Ching: "They should watch more horror movies. They will win when they have the nerve."
杜凱琹:「我們是處於下風,畢竟對手還是以同樣陣容出戰,韓瑩依然是難以應付,我們要想一想怎樣排陣,希望全力爭勝。」
Doo Hoi Kem: "We are the underdog. Germany will stick with this lineup, and Han Ying will be difficult to handle. We will come up with a lineup and hope for the best."
蘇慧音:「積極備戰最後一場比賽,搏盡無悔。」
Soo Wai Yam: "Will be well-prepared for the last match. Will go all out. No regrets."

After 3-1 against Germany:
李静:「奇兵出奇蹟。」
Li Ching: "Surprise troop(lineup) leads to surprise event(miracle)!"
杜凱琹:「你遠比自己想像中厲害,心態很硬淨,不用再懷疑自己。」
Doo Hoi Kem: "You are far stronger than you think. You have a very solid mindset. Never doubt yourself again."
蘇慧音:「其實我都被結果嚇一跳,因為我之前與兩個對手交手是慘敗收場,結果能在第一場單打贏出已經感到不可思議。」
Soo Wai Yam: "I am actually surprised by the results. Since I never won against the two of them and it wasn't even close, I could not believe it when I won the first singles."

https://tokyo2020.sportsroad.hk/2021/08/【東京奧運】帶領港女乒首踏頒獎台-李靜再爆金句/
「靜哥」賽後表示:「奇兵出奇蹟!蘇慧音面對兩名德國選手都贏得好精彩,雙打五五波,第3場杜凱琹狀態比對方好少少,今日要盛讚蘇慧音,一個人獨取2分,為團隊打下基礎,我們會繼續努力,這個奧運會完結,交了一個好滿意的答覆給大家,希望接下來的比賽會有更多獎牌。」他以「奇兵」來形容年紀最細的蘇慧音:「今日德國隊兩名對手,蘇慧音以前都未贏過,今日可反勝,尤其今日在第一局落後,對方可能大意了點,但奧運會就是這樣,個波是圓的,好難講。」

李靜日前曾叫球員多看鬼片,問到他是否真看了,阿靜反而說:「你要問她們,我就不敢看,反正我覺得她們今日是『膽生毛』,打的時候真是亂來的。」一手把香港女乒帶上頒獎台,「靜哥」坦言:「比我自己拿(獎)更加高興、更加激動,這次比賽她們真的盡心盡力,非常好的表現,多謝一點運氣,香港市民對我們的支持,亦好感激中國國家隊同我們訓練,才有今日的成績。當然多謝的人好多,香港乒總、香港體院,但最緊要多謝我自己,因為我自己的付出更加多。」

至於李靜老拍檔、另一教練高禮澤就表示:「在現場見證港隊奪牌好開心,要恭喜運動員,『阿蘇』打得好好,將水平發揮出來。其實做教練難過做運動員,運動員自己打就可以,教練自己要做好更要同運動員溝通,對我和『靜哥』都是大挑戰,她們今日表現無可挑剔,陳總(總教練陳江華)親自落場同『阿蘇』陪練,同樣功不可沒,希望她們日後贏取更多獎牌,下屆3年後可以更上一層樓。」香港乒乓球隊總教練陳江華則謂:「今日的戰果是意料之外,蘇慧音打得如此出色,對我們是驚喜。日前不敵日本大家都很失落,但能夠在短時間內『大翻身』,今仗贏得有價值,相信香港看比賽的觀眾都會很興奮。雖然只是世界第3,但這場是我任教女隊以來,打得最有激情、發揮得淋漓盡致的一場。」
"Brother Ching" said after the match: "Surprise troop leads to surprise event! Soo Wai Yam's wins against the 2 German players were spectacular. They were 50/50 in doubles. In the 3rd match, Doo Hoi Kem was in better shape than the opponent. Today, I want to praise Soo for taking 2 points alone, laying the foundation for the team. We will continue to work hard. This Olympics is over, and I have submitted a very satisfactory answer to everyone. I hope there will be more medals in the next competition." He describes Soo Wai Yam, the youngest on the team, as the "surprise troop": "Soo had never won before against the 2 German opponents. She turned the tables today, especially when trailing behind in the 1st game today. Han Ying might have been a little careless, but the Olympics are like this. The ball is round and you can never tell."

Yesterday, Li Ching advised his players to watch more horror movies. When asked if he really watched them. Instead, "Ah Ching" said: "Ask them, I don't dare to watch. Anyway, I think they were fearless today. Their games were so reckless." Bringing the Hong Kong Women’s table tennis team to the podium, "brother Ching" frankly said: "I am happier and more excited than when I won (a medal). They really did their best and performed very well. My gratitude to a bit of luck, the support from the people of Hong Kong, and the CNT for training with us, all of which have a part in achieving today's results. Of course, there are many others, the HKTTA, the Hong Kong Sports Institute, but the most important thing is to thank myself, because I have given even more."

As for Li Ching’s old partner, coach Ko Lai Chak, said: “I'm glad to witness team Hong Kong win a medal on the spot. Congratulations to the athletes. "Ah Soo" played so well and performed at her level. In fact, being a coach is harder than being an athlete. The athletes just focus on playing well. The coaches must do a good job and communicate with the athletes. It is a big challenge for me and "brother Ching". Their performance today is impeccable. Boss Chan(Head Coach Chan Kong Wah) personally practiced with "Ah Soo", and deserves credits. I hope they will win more medals in the future, and that they will reach a higher level in the next edition 3 years later.” Chan Kong Wah, the head coach of the Hong Kong Table Tennis Team, said: “Today’s results are unexpected. Soo Wai Yam played so well. It’s a pleasant surprise for us. We were all very disappointed after losing to Japan, but we "got back up" in a short period of time. This victory is worthwhile. I believe the Hong Kong audience watching the match find it very exciting. Although we come in 3rd, this has been the most passionate and incisive match in my time leading the women's team."

CM/WMY vs Ishikawa/Hirano
Ishikawa: I serve (the CNT), therefore I am.

SYS vs Ito
3:0, 3:1, 4:2, 6:6, 6:8, 11:8. 5 straight points for SYS!
1:1, 4:2, 4:4, 5:4, 5:5, 7:5, TO for JPN, 11:5. 6 straight points for SYS!
1:1, 1:5, 2:6, 2:9, 3:9, 3:11
2:0, 2:1, 4:1, 4:2, 7:2, 7:3, 11:3

WMY vs Hirano
1:0, 1:2, 2:2, 2:3, 3:3, 6:3, 6:4, 10:4, 10:5, 11:5
3:0, TO for JPN, 3:4, 4:4, 4:7, 8:7, 8:9, 11:9
3:0, 3:1, 6:1, 6:3, 11:3

Hayata: 🤮

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Hayata might challenge the Chinese but alas I think the younger players are not of the same class. Kihara or Nagasaki seem to me less strong than the current JNT members

As much as I like Hayata, her picture will go up on the CNT training hall wall and that will be that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Funny how Harimoto didn't face a Chinese Player, yet he played in 2 tournaments, who'll have thought, He must have spent hours practising combinations and possible tactics against the CNT

Reactions: AndroidRX93
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I do not have the slightest hatred for China ... This is a great country ...
And I have great respect for Chinese players, including those who played back in 1960-1970 ...
As for L.S.W. specifically, she is my idol, like Mima Ito and Hina Hayata ...

(and her tears are here, after the defeat in the final - and my tears ...)

Lot of LSW fans so upset no singles but obviously coaches had their reservations if seperation of federations was going to be enforced anyway. I think this scenario happens next time they will think twice, interesting case as China nearly won the XD events so if fortune would have been different could be seeing LSW with 2 gold right now

Who do you think will replace Jun Mizutani as Mima Ito's Mixed Doubles partner?

​​​​​​Who do you think China might be eyeing as their next Mixed Doubles pair for Paris 2024?

​​​​​

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Something tells me Japanese men put all there energy into that Semi Final which is nothing wrong with that, South Korean's to take out the Bronze

This user has no status.
Whether LSW can opt out and be replaced, it is not what CNT can simply control by themselves. They need to send an application, get an assigned third-party institute to check her physical condition and make a professional judgement. When she is allowed to be replaced, that means her physical condition has been verified to be eligible to be replaced.

From the result of competition, we can see that China ladies team is so strong. If LSW was still fine for the competition, CNT was only slightly compromised, I don't think it would change the result of the competition.

From any perspective, this suspicion is worth nothing.

Jan 2018
LSS/JYS vs Mizutani/Niwa
1:7, 2:7, 2:8, 4:8, 4:9, 7:9, 7:10, 9:10, 9:11
1:0, 1:1, 2:1, 2:2, 3:2, 3:3, 5:3, 5:4, 6:4, 6:6, 8:6, 8:8, 11:8
0:3, 1:3, 2:3, 2:4, 4:4, 4:5, 5:5, 5:6, 6:6, 6:7, 8:7, 8:8, 9:8, 9:10, 10:10, 10:11, 11:11, 11:12, 12:12, 12:13, TO for JPN, 13:13, 13:15
1:0, 1:1, 2:2, 2:4, 3:4, 3:5, TO for KOR, 3:7, 4:7, 4:9, 5:9, 5:11

JWJ vs Harimoto
0:2, 1:2, 1:4, 2:4, 2:8, 3:9, 7:9, 7:11
3:0, 3:2, 4:2, 4:4, 5:4, 5:5, 6:5, 6:6, 9:6, 9:7, 10:7, 10:8, 11:8
1:0, 1:1, 3:1, 3:3, 6:3, 6:4, 7:4, 7:5, 8:5, 8:7, TO for KOR, 8:8, 8:10, 9:10, TO for JPN, 10:10, 10:12
0:1, 1:1, 1:3, 2:3, 2:4, 3:4, 3:7, 4:7, 4:8, 6:8, 6:10, 7:10, 7:11

JYS vs Niwa
4:0, 4:1, 6:1, 6:2, 10:2, 10:3, 11:3
1:0, 1:2, 4:2, 4:4, 5:4, 5:7, 10:7, 10:8, 11:8
1:0, 1:2, 5:2, 5:3, 6:3, 6:5, 9:5, 9:6, TO for KOR, 10:6, 10:7, 11:7

JWJ vs Mizutani
1:0, 1:1, 3:1, 3:2, 4:2, 4:4, 6:4, 6:5, 7:5, 7:6, 8:6, 8:7, 9:7, 9:10, 11:10, 11:11, 12:11, 12:14
0:1, 1:1, 1:3, 2:3, 2:6, 3:6, 3:7, 4:7, 4:8, 6:8, 6:9, 8:9, 8:10, 9:10, 9:11
1:0, 1:3, TO for KOR, 1:5, 2:5, 2:9, 4:9, 4:10, 8:10, 8:11

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Whether LSW can opt out and be replaced, it is not what CNT can simply control by themselves. They need to send an application, get an assigned third-party institute to check her physical condition and make a professional judgement. When she is allowed to be replaced, that means her physical condition has been verified to be eligible to be replaced.

From the result of competition, we can see that China ladies team is so strong. If LSW was still fine for the competition, CNT was only slightly compromised, I don't think it would change the result of the competition.

From any perspective, this suspicion is worth nothing.

I don't think CNT will go through a big process to make that decision, the feeling is she is done from any future representation in mixed doubles or any event involving her wearing team colours.

I wouldn't be surprised if she has been told already to clear her locker out once she gets back to the training gym

This user has no status.

I don't think CNT will go through a big process to make that decision, the feeling is she is done from any future representation in mixed doubles or any event involving her wearing team colours.

I wouldn't be surprised if she has been told already to clear her locker out once she gets back to the training gym

Like I said, this is not something that CNT can decide to do it or not to do ti. It is a rule of ITTF, it is compulsory. Organizer will assign a third-party institute to check it, CNT can't reject it.

LSW was not the only one withdraw because of injury, Hungary’s Georgina Pota withdraw as well.
https://www.ittf.com/2021/07/29/tok...ate-injured-pota-withdraws-womens-team-event/

Notes for LSW is here:
https://www.ittf.com/2021/08/01/liu-shiwen-withdrew-tokyo2020/
In the note, ITTF said:The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has reviewed the documents and confirmed the replacement.

LATE ATHETE REPLACEMENT (LAR) POLICY is here:
https://www.uci.org/docs/default-so...-late-athlete-replacement-policy---update.pdf
It says:
'After the sport entries deadline, where there are medical conditions preventing participation of an athlete, proven Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV), a positive COVID-19 test, isolation or quarantine due to a COVID-19 infection or other exceptional reasons, the IOC, after consultation with the relevant IF and IOC medical experts (when deemed appropriate by the IOC), may authorise a permanent replacement of an athlete by another athlete only in the same sport and discipline and event.'
It is IOC's responsibility to ensure the replacement is eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Like I said, this is not something that CNT can decide to do it or not to do ti. It is a rule of ITTF, it is compulsory. Organizer will assign a third-party institute to check it, CNT can't reject it.

LSW was not the only one withdraw because of injury, Hungary’s Georgina Pota withdraw as well.
https://www.ittf.com/2021/07/29/tok...ate-injured-pota-withdraws-womens-team-event/

Notes for LSW is here:
https://www.ittf.com/2021/08/01/liu-shiwen-withdrew-tokyo2020/
In the note, ITTF said:The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has reviewed the documents and confirmed the replacement.

LATE ATHETE REPLACEMENT (LAR) POLICY is here:
https://www.uci.org/docs/default-so...-late-athlete-replacement-policy---update.pdf
It says:
'After the sport entries deadline, where there are medical conditions preventing participation of an athlete, proven Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV), a positive COVID-19 test, isolation or quarantine due to a COVID-19 infection or other exceptional reasons, the IOC, after consultation with the relevant IF and IOC medical experts (when deemed appropriate by the IOC), may authorise a permanent replacement of an athlete by another athlete only in the same sport and discipline and event.'
It is IOC's responsibility to ensure the replacement is eligible.

Thats fine but don't be surprised seeing her being faded away slowly. Given covid globally surprised if we see much of them