Gavin Rumgay in TTD Shirt (VIDEO)

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily member and Stiga's Gavin Rumgay won the Bribar Bristol Grandprix on the weekend just gone defeating Mike O’Driscoll in the final! Gavin has recently been appointed as an ITTF commentator and commentates ITTF World Tours. He regularly plays in the World Tours too and represents Scotland as an international table tennis player. Gavin uses TableTennisDaily regularly as he quotes at the weekend, "TableTennisDaily gives me everything I need from one website, I find out whats going on in the table tennis world instantly".

Below you can see Gavin Rumgay in the final against former European Junior Champion Mike O'Driscoll.

rumgayttdshirt.jpg

Thanks to etta.co.uk for write up

Gavin Rumgay repeated his victory at the 2011 Bribar Bristol Grand Prix by claiming the title from the South West once again with a comprehensive final victory over surprise finalist Mike O’Driscoll.

Rumgay’s passage to the final was straightforward compared to his final opponent’s. The Scot beat Ed Slot, Shaun Hall and Denis Bernhard 3-0 before completing a remarkable turnaround against Tees Sport Newcastle Grand Prix winner Chris Doran in the semi-finals.

After losing the opening two games 11-4 and 14-12 he saved two match points in the third to eventually win it 12-10. When he leveled the match with an 11-8 fourth game the comeback was on and, despite throwing away a 5-1 lead in game five, he still managed to win it 11-7 and reach the final.

If that sounded dramatic, then O’Driscoll’s passage to the final was nothing short of impressive.

The Band 1 runner-up from Saturday first beat fourth seed Matt Ware 3-0 (12-10, 16-14, 11-8) before defeating second seed Darius Knight 3-1 (9-11, 11-9, 12-10, 11-8) in the semi-final.

ODriscoll.jpg

Mike O'Driscoll completes his second shock against Darius Knight

Unfortunately, O’Driscoll was unable to reach the levels he attained against Ware and Knight in the previous matches as an inspired and pumped-up Rumgay raced home in a one-sided 3-0 (11-5, 11-2, 11-7) final.

Rumgay is the fourth victor already in this season’s Grand Prix season with the Scot joining Irishman Paul McCreery, Welshman Ryan Jenkins and Englishman Chris Doran in leaving with the Grand Prix crown.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The video is top drawer Dan- I loved the slow motion action too!! It was a fabulous day in Bristol and it was a pleasure to play the legend himself Mike ODriscoll! In some ways it is easier to play players that I respect highly- I compete harder and treat each point as another opportunity for success.

Thanks for the great footage TT Daily! Gavin Rumgay (Gavin Rumgay Racket Sports-London)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This was a great performance from Gavin as he kept up the momentum, was there giving some advice for Gavin, and glad he got his rubbers sorted as you were unsure of the feeling...but good players find a way ;)

Haha love the quote, 'good players find a way' :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
saw them play in the club i'm playing at last month, they played a winner take all game with 6 players including both of them, neill cameron and another scottish player and 2 of the clubs managers..gavin won and mike in 2nd place..great respect for mike, as a leftie myself, and learned hasnt played for years and just returned playing.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
saw them play in the club i'm playing at last month, they played a winner take all game with 6 players including both of them, neill cameron and another scottish player and 2 of the clubs managers..gavin won and mike in 2nd place..great respect for mike, as a leftie myself, and learned hasnt played for years and just returned playing.

is that a club in scotland daxx101?