Plastic Balls Date

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1. Plastic balls will be used at ITTF Sanctioned events from 1st July 2014 (reference: ITTF BoD decision 2012)

2. As an exception celluloid balls will be used at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games (reference: ITTF OPC decision 2014) and at four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events taking place after 1st July 2014 but before the 2014 YOG (reference: ITTF EC decision 2014)

Here is the list of the four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events exceptionally using celluloid balls in the period between 1st July and 15th August 2014:

- 2014 Korean Junior & Cadet Open, 30 July - 3 August
- 2014 Hong Kong Junior & Cadet Open, 6-10 August
- 2014 Guatemala Junior & Cadet Open, 6-9 August
- 2014 El Salvador Junior & Cadet Open, 12-15 August

Note and clarification: 2014 Chengdu Junior & Cadet Open (30 June-4 July) will have celluloid balls, because it starts BEFORE the implementation date.

Here is the list of the ITTF event types where plastic balls will be used after 1st July 2014:

- World Table Tennis Championships
- World Junior Table Tennis Championships
- World Cups (Men’s, Women’s and World Team Cup)
- World Tour events including the World Tour Grand Finals
- Global Junior Circuit events including the GJC Finals – except 4 tournaments specified in 2014

- World Cadet Challenge
- ITTF-Continental Championships and ITTF-Continental Cups
- Olympic Games including qualification tournaments
- Youth Olympic Games including qualification tournaments – except 2014 YOG

All the other tournament organisers can use any ITTF approved balls, plastic or celluloid.

Judit Farago
ITTF CEO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think just to point this out - All the other tournament organisers can use any ITTF approved balls, plastic or celluloid.

So guys, don't fear come 1 July that your old balls/rubbers/blades will not be good any more.
It will likely take 6 months to 2 years for many national federations to migrate to the new ball.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I think just to point this out - All the other tournament organisers can use any ITTF approved balls, plastic or celluloid.So guys, don't fear come 1 July that your old balls/rubbers/blades will not be good any more.It will likely take 6 months to 2 years for many national federations to migrate to the new ball.
I don't think that there will be a 6 months delay to migrate to new ball. As far as know federations are always up to date ( At least in Iran). National federations send players to international events so they have to be up to date.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think that there will be a 6 months delay to migrate to new ball. As far as know federations are always up to date ( At least in Iran). National federations send players to international events so they have to be up to date.

There is no rule from ITTF that states you must migrate to new ball.
All ITTF approved balls is valid
Certain world events will only use the new ball.

And trust me,lots of country will take months to move over. Some times it is due to the league/session that is in place during the July month.
Plus, not that many people play in international events compared to the playing public.
And I won't be suprised many national teams don't use it, and only experience the new ball at world events

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
There is no rule from ITTF that states you must migrate to new ball.
All ITTF approved balls is valid
Certain world events will only use the new ball.

And trust me,lots of country will take months to move over. Some times it is due to the league/session that is in place during the July month.
Plus, not that many people play in international events compared to the playing public.
And I won't be suprised many national teams don't use it, and only experience the new ball at world events
You are right about leagues that are running at July.
But everyone i have talked to them about new balls said they will play with them as soon as they will be ready to sell because everyone wants to be up to date here.
Also national team is going to play in world events and if they want to play good they will train with new balls.
Anyway i don't see any bad thing about new balls. They are just different and i'm sure players will adjust quickly to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You are right about leagues that are running at July.
But everyone i have talked to them about new balls said they will play with them as soon as they will be ready to sell because everyone wants to be up to date here.
Also national team is going to play in world events and if they want to play good they will train with new balls.
Anyway i don't see any bad thing about new balls. They are just different and i'm sure players will adjust quickly to them.

Yeah, the fuss is defiantly not that big, especially for us "normal" people.
Not like we earn our living by the points we get on the table.

with 38mm to 40mm balls, it did take many months
even years afterwards, you still get people playing 38mm ball

so don't be surpised that old 40mm ball is in the market long
imo, its just going to be confusing, as a lot of people still don't know about this new ball

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Yeah, the fuss is defiantly not that big, especially for us "normal" people.Not like we earn our living by the points we get on the table.with 38mm to 40mm balls, it did take many monthseven years afterwards, you still get people playing 38mm ballso don't be surpised that old 40mm ball is in the market longimo, its just going to be confusing, as a lot of people still don't know about this new ball
Agree with you. There are so many people that doesn't know anything about new ball and i, personally, will do my best to promote new ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
The two highest leagues in Sweden will only use the new ball. Hope to see it on the market soon to try it out!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
interesting... I am curious how it is going to look like - If it changes style of the game but mainly if it changes results of tournaments. Do you think that it could causes some changes in top10? or in national leagues?
You know that trainers often say that key of success is not in equipment but it is in your quality, training, selfconfidence... I definitely agree but I think for some players it could be good change and for some no. I think it changes the order little bit but between recent toptenplayers...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
interesting... I am curious how it is going to look like - If it changes style of the game but mainly if it changes results of tournaments. Do you think that it could causes some changes in top10? or in national leagues?
You know that trainers often say that key of success is not in equipment but it is in your quality, training, selfconfidence... I definitely agree but I think for some players it could be good change and for some no. I think it changes the order little bit but between recent toptenplayers...

Good question I am also curious to this. We will soon find out..