A question about boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Read 3 reviews
So, I heard that we can break in a sponge either by using boosters or by playing with the rubber long enough... If I use a booster that lasts for let's say 4 weeks, would the rubber, after 4 weeks of use need booster again, or are 4 weeks enough to break in it?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
So, I heard that we can break in a sponge either by using boosters or by playing with the rubber long enough... If I use a booster that lasts for let's say 4 weeks, would the rubber, after 4 weeks of use need booster again, or are 4 weeks enough to break in it?
If the rubber really needs breaking in, then this will happen whether you boost it or not.
If you boost you will slowly adapt to the boosted rubber AND you will also adapt , without even noticing it, to the diminishing boosting effect. Some say that there will always be some remaining small boosting effect left . Nobody ever proved this...........but it works for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
If the rubber really needs breaking in, then this will happen whether you boost it or not.
If you boost you will slowly adapt to the boosted rubber AND you will also adapt , without even noticing it, to the diminishing boosting effect. Some say that there will always be some remaining small boosting effect left . Nobody ever proved this...........but it works for me.
Well, boosters are oil based, and oil doesn't evaporate, so your rubber is never gonna be the same. But then again, a rubber that's been played for 4 weeks is never gonna be the same as new anyway, so not sure how much that matters.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Well, boosters are oil based, and oil doesn't evaporate, so your rubber is never gonna be the same. But then again, a rubber that's been played for 4 weeks is never gonna be the same as new anyway, so not sure how much that matters.
Well, this is exactly what i have been trying to say : It does not really matter. 🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Whenever someone(I don't particularly mean you) speaks about breaking the sponge I always think about the chinese (and not only) players who seem to play with brand new rubbers in every match. These rubbers are anything but broken in......so the only logical answer is that they rely heavily on boosters

Reactions: Aizen and Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Paraffin oil evaporates but paraffin oil is a very light oil. Put some paraffin oil on your hand an it will be gone in no time.

Reactions: lodro
Whenever someone(I don't particularly mean you) speaks about breaking the sponge I always think about the chinese (and not only) players who seem to play with brand new rubbers in every match. These rubbers are anything but broken in......so the only logical answer is that they rely heavily on boosters
Have you seen how professional players warm up before matches? With their power it's enough to 'break in' the rubber in a couple of hours training, and they surely do that before any competition.

Ma Long for example uses H3 on both sides and to 'break in' the red side he sometimes twiddles the blade and uses red on the FH for several minutes.

But that doesn't mean that they don't rely on boosters. They do, very much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is 2 elements to breaking in.

one is the sponge and yes, booster does help with it.
the other is top sheet and booster does not help with it.

Breaking in the rubber can also attribute to testing the rubber, testing the glue job etc.
There could be times where the rubber is just not right and maybe a fresh gluing could be required.
Majority of the time, is to just getting used to the new rubber.

After a few hits, the topsheet will loosen up a bit, and allow for more grip.
You would require impact on the topsheet though and the time varies. Most are fine with a or two session of (high level) training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Absolutely agree with Tony's that warming the topsheet is crucial, especially with the very tacky ones, in my case H3. Unfortunately I don't always have time to loosen the top before match and really feel the difference between the beginning and the end of the evening