A somewhat flexible composite blade with a soft feeling

Edit: The spell checker screwed up the title and UpsideDownCarl fixed it, Thank You.

I am mostly using all wood blades and the reason for that is most composites makes the blade too stiff. That is not the case with basalt, it’s a hard but flexible material.

TT11 had this on sale recently:

It’s ridiculously expensive but I broke down and ordered it. Hopefully it’s not a speed demon… For starters it’s gonna be a test blade for Chinese rubbers, but hope it will end up on top together with my SDC blades.

First out is a dirt cheep blue sponge Happiness 729. It’s under boosting right now, The tackiness on this one is low just about the same as Glayser09C.
We’ll see what happens.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
The blade feels great, but I love and hate the handle at the same time.
I just love this handle. It’s a little short but I don’t think that’s gonna be a problem. It’s wider than most And I that I like. A little less flared too. Like a mix between flared, straight and round. One of SDC blades have a similar form but it is standard length.

Cheers
L-zr

Ive built a few basalt blades by myself and i can confirm, that these are spin monsters!
But also nice for blocking as i am using Kiri core which absorbs some energy.

I suggest everyone with some tools at home to try diy blade building. It isnt that hard and is fun as well!
This one has spruce as a top layer. Soft like Hinoki. It would be nice to know the other layers if anybody knows.

Cheers
L-zr

Edit: de spellingcontrole heeft de titel verprutst, zou flexibel moeten zijn.

Ik gebruik meestal alle houten bladen en de reden daarvoor is dat de meeste composieten het blad te stijf maken. Bij basalt is dat niet het geval, het is een hard maar flexibel materiaal.

TT11 had onlangs deze in de aanbieding:

Het is belachelijk duur, maar ik ging kapot en bestelde het. Hopelijk is het geen snelheidsduivel... Om te beginnen wordt het een testblad voor Chinese rubbers, maar ik hoop dat hij samen met mijn SDC-bladen bovenaan komt te staan.

Als eerste is er een spotgoedkope blauwe spons Happiness 729. Deze wordt momenteel versterkt. De kleverigheid van deze is laag, ongeveer hetzelfde als die van Glayser09C.
We zullen zien wat er gebeurt.

Proost
L-zr
Lol, that price!:oops:
Haven't you asked Sergio to make a similar yet?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I'm curious about your experiences with this.
me too Wonder how it compare with this here little miracle.
Please pay special attention to the description of the layers.

IMG20230728074122.jpgIMG20230728074122.jpg

Reactions: Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Edit: The spell checker screwed up the title, should be flexible.

I am mostly using all wood blades and the reason for that is most composites makes the blade too stiff. That is not the case with basalt, it’s a hard but flexible material.

TT11 had this on sale recently:

It’s ridiculously expensive but I broke down and ordered it. Hopefully it’s not a speed demon… For starters it’s gonna be a test blade for Chinese rubbers, but hope it will end up on top together with my SDC blades.

First out is a dirt cheep blue sponge Happiness 729. It’s under boosting right now, The tackiness on this one is low just about the same as Glayser09C.
We’ll see what happens.

Cheers
L-zr
You ready to leave ALL+ all wood blade?

I don't think you are asking for opinions. There are some affordable inner carbon blades I like or "not-too-fast" blades that I like.

Yes SDC's wait time for blade right now is six months. I have been waiting forever for Sergio.

You ready to leave ALL+ all wood blade?

I don't think you are asking for opinions. There are some affordable inner carbon blades I like or "not-too-fast" blades that I like.

Yes SDC's wait time for blade right now is six months. I have been waiting forever for Sergio.
A month ago I had no intention to play with Chinese rubbers but this changed. All my current blades are busy so I need a couple of extras.

I already got them ranging from all up to off++ so no big deal. You just have to watch out so that the combo does not get too fast or too slow.

With Bloom power on my Donic New Impulse 6.5 I get wonderful spin (not anymore but when the rubber was new) but it’s too slow to put any real pressure on my opponent. I want something that plays little bit more effortless but not too extreme.

The Donic I got for its top layer (hard rubber and soft blade). My Alser all+ are flexy and nice but not really soft. The Donic new impulse and this one are less flexy but soft. So they will take real hard rubbers better (for me).

So I wanted a faster blade with a little flex and a soft feel…

This gives me:
3 Alser all+ to test ESN and jap style faster rubbers. These blades are wonderful with a rubber like Tibhar hybrid MK, but I imagine not so much with a rock hard and slower rubber.

A Donic New Impulse and a Nittaku basaltec for real hard chinese rubbers.
The New impulse is great for hard rubbers but needs them to be a l little, faster, that’s where the basaltec comes in.

My 2 SDCs, One stiff, soft and a faster than the all+. The other with a little more flex, a little harder and even faster. My goal is to eventually return to the faster of these two.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: latej and JJ Ng
Ive built mine with kiri, abachi, basalt and limba.
Plays nice.
I will try cypress as outer veneer next time (hinoki is hard to get)...
This one probably has a kiri core as well. The basalt is kind of heavy I guess.

Cheers
L-zr