Advice needed! frustration near...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LP without sponge (known as OX) is for staying close to the table and punching underspin or soft blocking topspin, then using killer FH to finish. Many players inexperienced vs this surface will pop up a LOT of your cuts from your LP that are really knuckle balls that you finish on FH powersmash. When you get a little high cut underspin, you open blade and punch the ball with your LP to give back a medium fast drive with some degree of topspin.

LP with sponge is for chopping, killing spin, handling serves, and changing the spin on chop defense, then sometimes attacking loose high balls. That is not the only way to play, but most play that way with sponge LP. Thinner sponge for more control and less ability to manipulate spin or attack.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any ideas? Does anyone knows what is the difference between pips with and without sponge? More control with sponge?

A good idea to learn more about pips may be to go to Ooak forum where there are a lot of pips players. It seems like not too may people are giving you the advice you need about different kinds of pips setups. So far, it seems only Der_Echte has given you good info on the Long Pips question. On Ooak there would probably be several who will give you advice on the subject and even different brand names and models of rubber that may be good.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OOAK and Pimp My Blade are two dedicated Pips TT forums for sure. We can go on and on about what LPs work for what, but one has got to slap an LP on ones blade and go at it to know for oneself. Sometimes it is as simple as that, then you discover some stuff, which piques Ur interest and you ask a million good questions then at that point when it can mean more to you.

This user has no status.
I think your current BH is very good, in my region it is becoming very popular for BH as it has good control, fast enough and good spin.
I use a kind of softer rubber, Xiom Sigma II Europe, which makes my BH very reliable as well. I cannot give you my opinion regarding your blade but I would not change your playstyle by moving to long pips, if it is just for fun ok, but I guess it will be not easy to reach good results.