All Wood Defensive Blades Vs Carbon Defensive Blades. What Are Peoples Thoughts?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi DG89,

I have used a few defensive blades, but I’m not a defender or pips player.

The 3 mainstream defensive blades I have used are
Stiga Def Pro - 5 wood + 2 carbon (5+2)
Drinkhall Defensive classic - 5 ply all wood
Nittaku Resist 2 - 5 ply all wood

I also have 2 bespoke (almost identical) 7+2 ply blades made by Sergio (SDC), there is about 5-19Hz frequency difference.

I’ve used a variety of Rubbers on them, from the likes of MXP/MXS, R48, Donic Barracuda, Rakza Z, H8-80, Friendship battle 2 provincial Etc.

Personally I prefer some carbon in there somewhere!!! More for trying to get a larger sweet spot!!! Rather than speed. A slightly more crisp feel.

The Def Pro is a great blade for a modern defender, good speed when you need it, and of course it’s user friendly regarding control, as are defensive blades in general!! Quite thin. Liked this blade.
At the moment it’s set up as a practice blade for coaching, with Nittaku Sieger PK50 on FH & RITC 563 MP on BH

Drinkhall Defensive Classic was ok but nothing special slightly softer feel. Used it for maybe 6 months with MXP/MSX, haven’t used it since.

The resist 2, I used with the Battle 2, has a nice feel with this rubber. From memory the outer plies are white willow. Perhaps a little slow with the tacky battle 2

The SDC blades have white willow outer plies as well. These are what I currently use. One is set up with Rakza Z & Rakza Z EH the other with R48 and Donic Barracuda.

Regarding the use of pips (of any description) I’m not really able to comment as I don’t use them, regarding using attacking fast rubbers on slow blades, then I feel some of the ‘top end’ rubbers become easier for you to control, yeah, you lose some speed, but hey ho, for close to the table attacks,(when opponent is close to table as well) they are easily quick enough, and for mid distance, depending on your ability, still quick enough. Away from the table, great for chopping/lobbing/fishing, not so hot for loop to loop!!!

Reactions: DG89 and hclnnkhg
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hi DG89,

Personally I prefer some carbon in there somewhere!!! More for trying to get a larger sweet spot!!! Rather than speed. A slightly more crisp feel.
I agree 100 % and especially now with the modern defender style it is good to have some "umpf" for counter attacking.
I am not a defender but with my limited skills I am often forced into this kind of play.
My blades now are generally Inner layers with some kind of hybrid composite like Carbo/kev. They are in the 1250 HZ range.
I do have my trusty TSP Blockman II , one of the slowest blades available, probably about 800HZ. I play this one with boosted H3 and can still generate decent speed with FH and nasty BH flicks. But of course, not like FZD 😂

Reactions: DG89
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Here's a thought...
I know a particular Xiom blade ( the name escape me at the moment ) is constructed asymmetrically where one side is with carbon ( stiff ) for attacking and the other without and softer for defending. Would this blade be the ultimate modern defense blade? I wonder...

Reactions: DG89
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Here's a thought...
I know a particular Xiom blade ( the name escape me at the moment ) is constructed asymmetrically where one side is with carbon ( stiff ) for attacking and the other without and softer for defending. Would this blade be the ultimate modern defense blade? I wonder...
It might well be. Xiom Icecream the blade you mean but they made quite a few asymmetrical blades if I remember correctly. I always wanted one of them but they are too expensive for me.
My alternative was the DHS HurricanG with Koto on one side and Limba on the other . These are more affordable to just experiment with . I tried twice to get one but now they are only offered as pen-hold grips.