Amicus Prime Users

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello Everyone,
I have been using Butterfly Amicus Prime robot for my practice. I would like to connect with other players in this forum who are using Amicus prime and share experiences while using and maintaining the robot.

Thank you, KM1976

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
I don't have an amicus but i have its twin - the power pong 5000. Had the robot for 1.5 years now and it is still going strong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello Everyone,
I have been using Butterfly Amicus Prime robot for my practice. I would like to connect with other players in this forum who are using Amicus prime and share experiences while using and maintaining the robot.

Thank you, KM1976
Hello KM1976,

I used to own the Amicus Professional when it first came out. I used it like 3 or 4 times and couldn't figure out how to use it as there were no real instructions. Everything was analog and knobs that was confusing to me. I ended up selling it but now want to purchase one for my son who's 6 and half. I would also like to play and practice on it so I'm curious if it's worth the money and whether it's easier to use with the digital display. Can you please share your thoughts and experiences with me? I'd appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Zayno

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So I'm not clear on what you mean by premium version with tablet. Is that a subscription that needs to be purchased for the tablet? I thought once you buy the Amicus Prime the tablet has it's own software that you can use to setup various drills, etc... ? What exactly is required after purchase of the Prime that will make user friendly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
oh, i was just refering to the three available versions, where only the most expensive one got a tablet. The other two cheaper versions (amicus expert and amicus start) have a manual control deck only.
If you really buy the most expensive version (which is the "prime" version) then yes you got the tablet that will make it easier to use and you wont need a subscription.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
oh, i was just refering to the three available versions, where only the most expensive one got a tablet. The other two cheaper versions (amicus expert and amicus start) have a manual control deck only.
If you really buy the most expensive version (which is the "prime" version) then yes you got the tablet that will make it easier to use and you wont need a subscription.
Thank you Jk for the explanation. How much learning curve is there to get the Prime to do the drills when you first begin? Is it really as easy as the YouTube videos showing you where you can touch different parameters on each ball and it will serve like that? Also for beginner players can the balls be delayed for like 15 to 20 seconds in between? I want to make sure my son who is just learning can keep up with the serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thank you Jk for the explanation. How much learning curve is there to get the Prime to do the drills when you first begin? Is it really as easy as the YouTube videos showing you where you can touch different parameters on each ball and it will serve like that? Also for beginner players can the balls be delayed for like 15 to 20 seconds in between? I want to make sure my son who is just learning can keep up with the serves.
There isn't much of a learning curve, it's like the YouTube videos show. I think the minimum balls per minute is 4 or 6, so 10-15 second delay max.

I've had it for almost 5 months now, and it's helped me a lot. Here's a rough pros and cons list:

Pros:
1) Easy to set up, easy to use.
2) 3 spin wheels capable of a wide variety of spins and insane spin quality.
3) Fairly programmable, able to generate fairly complex drills.
4) Deflector mechanism to change ball directions (also a con) which makes knowing where the next ball is going much harder, more like a real game in this regard.
5) Capable of very fast pace, 120 balls/min. Even pros doing multiball only train at a max of a little over 100/min.

Cons (longer list, but keep in mind that most other robots will be longer):
1) Limited in speed, though that's an issue with almost all robots since wheels can't generate as much speed as a paddle can.
2) Limited in service origination location, though this is an issue with all robots that are attached to the end of the table. You'd need a table-top robot to overcome this.
3) Deflector mechanism to change ball directions (also a pro) which gives all balls that are not straight a sidespin which can be difficult to overcome when a ball is served to the corner.
4) Can't tell the spin if you randomize it, but that goes with all robots since you can't use the opponent's racket action to judge spin.
5) Random limitations for no reason: e.g. maximum 10 different serves per drill, I sometimes want more variations per drill; minimum 10 serves per drill before it autostops, sometimes I just want it to serve a single ball and then stop e.g. when I'm doing return board training; maximum of 8 drills per drill set, haven't needed to use more but I don't see why there's a limit; 5 backspin and 7 topspin levels, sometimes I want a spin in between (especially between +5 and +6 topspins) and I don't see why we're limited to 12 discrete steps of spin, etc. etc.
6) Gunk build up on the deflector, which would affect the ball trajectory. I think this is an issue with all robots, so get used to cleaning them.
7) Not the most reliable software. There are little bugs all over the place, like sometimes a drill's name won't save after you change it, or the bluetooth controller can no longer start a drill until you exit it and re-enter it. Mostly minor annoyances, but Butterfly hasn't updated the software in like 2 years so they're clearly not interested in fixing them.

Due to the last con, I'd recommend getting the Powerpong robot instead. It's the same hardware, but they're actually interested in customer support and update their software. It's also slightly cheaper. I went with the Amicus Prime because of the Butterfly name, but if I had to do it again I would've bought the Powerpong Omega instead. Butterfly is a big corporation of which its robot is just a small part, I'd go with a company that cares about its robot products instead.

Reactions: jk1980
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Wow you are such a life saver JK. I can't thank you enough for taking the time and your honesty with the robot. I really would have been disappointed for the second time purchasing the Amicus Robot had I not read your review. I bought the Amicus Professional when it just got released I think it was 2015 or 16. Long story short I had horrible time figuring out the knobs and making it stay on the table. After using it like 2 or 3 times I sold it for $1200 which was a loss of almost 1K. Anyway I'm going to research the PowerPong Omega and see what that's all about. More then likely I will refrain from the Amicus after learning all the Cons from your review. Thank you so much JK. BTW I'm from northern Ca. Where are you from?

Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello KM1976,

I used to own the Amicus Professional when it first came out. I used it like 3 or 4 times and couldn't figure out how to use it as there were no real instructions. Everything was analog and knobs that was confusing to me. I ended up selling it but now want to purchase one for my son who's 6 and half. I would also like to play and practice on it so I'm curious if it's worth the money and whether it's easier to use with the digital display. Can you please share your thoughts and experiences with me? I'd appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Zayno
Hi Zayno77,
Thank you for reading and replying to my post. I would say that powerpong and amicus are made by same manufacturers. Honestly, I expected a much higher quality after paying top dollar for a Butterfly product. Nevertheless, it is a very good robot and it works very well. Previously, I had placed a robot in a rented house where there was a interference from WIFI router, this interfered in the working of the robot and sometimes unexpected thing happened. But, now I have placed it where there no interferences and it is working fine so far. Which one should you buy between powerpong and Amicus? As I mentioned, both are same and made by some Hungarian company, hence, which one works out cheaper or gives you a sweet deal is the one to go for. Hope I am able to help you.

Keep practicing and keep progressing. Cheers!

This user has no status.
Hello,

I have a question about the amicus, is it possible to let the robot and its net installed on the table and to fold the table ?

Maybe it is a stupid ask, I am very interested by the amicus, but I need to fold my table in my garage between each practice because of place, so if I can't let it on the table it is not practical to install / uninstall it each time and maybe the Tibhar genius should be better (because it stand alone). But if It can, I will prefer the amicus as I think it is way better about type of balls he can deliver.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Hello,

I have a question about the amicus, is it possible to let the robot and its net installed on the table and to fold the table ?

Maybe it is a stupid ask, I am very interested by the amicus, but I need to fold my table in my garage between each practice because of place, so if I can't let it on the table it is not practical to install / uninstall it each time and maybe the Tibhar genius should be better (because it stand alone). But if It can, I will prefer the amicus as I think it is way better about type of balls he can deliver.
I can only fold 1 side of the table. For both sides you would need to take off the robot.

Reactions: Romson