Best way to clean rubbers?

My best results are with water and a drop of ordinary dishwashing liquid, brush with soft kitchen paper, once with the dissolved drop of washing liquid, then with pure water.
Brushing with the palm works during play to get out the dust, but its not exactly "cleaning", especially for the grippy tensors. Palm brushing may visually be effective, but in fact it may fix sweat and fat on the grippy rubber.
When dirty the grippy tensors feel smoother when dry and "rougher" when wet, and when clean - the opposite - smoother when wet and "rougher" when dry.
I like very much the Xiom topsheet protectors - when they and/or the rubbers are not clean, they don't stick even if pressed, when both are clean they stick perfectly without pressing, so its a good test for the quality of cleaning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
While I don't have any question about cleaning methodologies, what do people think about rubber protection sheet? I've heard people recommending against them because dust could stick to them and you use the dusty side to cover your rubber.

I personally don't use rubber protection sheet and just always store my blade in a bat case. Have never really had any issues.

I think dust really shouldn't be a concern if you clean the protection sheets before you actually put them on the rubbers. At least that's what I always do. Protection sheets provide a good protection against dust and oxidation, so I guess it really wouldn't hurt using them.

Although it might be more necessary for tacky rubbers in order to keep them tacky as long as possible.

You should use them on tacky Chinese style rubbers.

On grippy euro/japan style rubbers they are not that important, but won't hurt either. Although I personally don't use it on my BH

Another thought to consider is that if you use aluminium box style case where the blade is planted into the foam they shouldn't be as useful as if in a regular fabric case, because in the former the rubbers don't touch or rub with fabric and on later they are brushing against the inner lining of the case.

On non-tacky rubbers protection sheets can be useful too, especially with all these factory pre-tuned rubbers.
When the booster evaporates it doesn't only evaporate through the sponge but also through the topsheet.
So putting these sheets on can slow down the evaporation process and hence prolong your rubbers' life.

But Lula and Carl have a point too. Once a rubber is dead it is dead.
All these rejuvenation methods like using a bit of oil or wd40 can only bring back life for a very short period of time and after that the rubber will be even deader than dead. So might be worth replacing the rubber after a certain amount of playing hours.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I use Joola bat cleaner and a Butterfly two-sided sponge (firm one side, very soft on the other) after each session, wipe off any excess moisture with a Halfords chamois pad (sold for demisting car windows) then put protective foils over the clean rubber. Keeps them nice and grippy. If you never clean your rubbers you'll have a problem, especially if you frequently use new balls which will leave white powder all over the surfaces.
How do you clean your Butterfly sponge after cleaning the rubber with it? I have noticed mine has gotten dirty and smelly after some period of time because I do not know the right way to clean this Butterfly sponge. I use the same sponge as yours.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
How do you clean your Butterfly sponge after cleaning the rubber with it? I have noticed mine has gotten dirty and smelly after some period of time because I do not know the right way to clean this Butterfly sponge. I use the same sponge as yours.
Being a bit of a lazy old devil, I confess that I don't - I wait until it gets a bit rank and then I bin it and open a new one !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I just wash mine in the sink with some hand soap and water. It's still just a sponge after all.