Blade advice needed

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Viscaria Light. Photino Light. Photino Light is pretty fast though, and it is Zylon with no carbon so, probably the Viscaria Light is more close to what you are looking for.

Also, all blades come in a range of weights. There is no reason you can't ask a place what weights they have for a bunch of different blades. Like sometimes you can find a Viscaria that is 79 grams and sometimes you can find a Viscaria Light that is over 86 grams.

Sent from MountDoom via TheRingOfPower

This user has no status.
Waldner Senso Carbon. It is not that headheavy.
Timo Boll Spirit also.
If budget is not a problem, check acoustic carbon. Truly amazing. im using 2 rakzas 7 and looking foward to Fastarc G-1 and S-1. With the pair of rakzas it is not head heavy. My blade is about 88gr tho.
I hit with the Xiom Vega Pro blade last week. Felt really good. 157x148 headsize i think. Very controlable. Very linear blade.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi guys, I am looking for a light, thin, carbon blade, ideally not head heavy, around 80g, the head could be a little smaller, than normal off- to off speed. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance,
Which Carbon blade have you played with and what characteristics are you looking for?

Reactions: Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Someone pls excuse me while I go out back and puke... then run to the loo to personally reduce my syndrome of "too full of crap" by making a 2 lb brown deposit into the porcelain.

Why do they call it "taking" a crap when you are actually LEAVING some crap?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you didn't already know, Der_Echte is famous for liking heavier blades that weigh upwards of 100 grams.

He is also famous for taking blades that have a hollow handle and weigh 85 grams and adding 15-30 grams of weight to the handle to make it solid and handle heavy.

That is how he rolls.

And one thing that I can say for sure is that if you take two rackets, say, two Viscarias, and everything else is the same, but one is 10 grams heavier than the other--barring defects--the heavier one, 99.99% of the time will play better. It will have better feel. It will be more solid and have more pace and umph behind it. While the one that is 10 grams lighter will feel like a cheap imitation.

I have tested this theory. I have yet to find things to come out different than just stated.

A heavier blade of the same model will just about always feel and play better than a lighter one.

But what is your reason for wanting a lighter blade? If it is injury, it could make sense. Even though, often a little extra weight in the hand is more useful in that circumstance also.

Why do I say that. As a kid I played baseball. We would rotate pitchers because you can't pitch every day. The team had three other pitchers. I would pitch on the fourth day or if we had a day off, the fifth. When I pitched a full 9 innings with a hardball, the next two days my arm would be sore. But it would be a normal version of sore. And it would recover by the third day as long as I didn't throw too much or too hard in between.

Every so often, in my back yard we would play a game like baseball with 1, 2 or 3 players per team. We would pitch with a tennis ball as if it was a hardball. And every time I would pitch with that light azzed tennis ball, the next day it would feel like someone had take. A drill and drilled holes in my elbow and shoulder. It wasn't sore. Those joints had damage done. The reason? The lighter ball with the whipping action of the arm, that just isn't good for those joints.

This is similar to how it hurts more for a boxer to throw a punch and miss than to land a punch. And throwing and not meeting that extra weight and resistance can damage your shoulder and elbow joints.

So I am willing to bet that a 90-95 gram racket with heavy rubbers would be less likely to cause tennis elbow than a 75 gram racket with light or medium weight rubbers.

Sent from TheSecretHideout using TheInfamousNSASpyPhone

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Someone pls excuse me while I go out back and puke... then run to the loo to personally reduce my syndrome of "too full of crap" by making a 2 lb brown deposit into the porcelain.

Why do they call it "taking" a crap when you are actually LEAVING some crap?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Haven't you noticed that sometimes it splashes back? I suppose in that situation you are "taking" it..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I agree about the weight of a raquet and it pros.
The feel of being 'head heavy' or not depends mostly of the handle shape you use. Try a straight form i would suggest for a lighter feel.

Most of the blades made by modern TT companies come with hollow handles. Der_Echte takes apart the handle, fills in the hollow space with glue, toothpicks, nails, bolts, screws, depending on how much weight he wants to add. When he has filled the hollow space and reglued the handle back on, the blade invariably plays way better. We did several before and after tests. When a blade has a solid handle and an extra 20 grams in the handle, it actually feels more solid, plays faster and FEELS LIGHTER, because it is really, fully, handle heavy. It doesn't matter what kind of handle it is. When he gets finished with it, it feels solid.

Here, have a look.

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9048-Re-Building-the-BEAST

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Guys calm down ... I want lighter blade because of the totally opposite reason. I compete in Men's Physique (kind of bodybuilding) and that is not the best thing to add table tennis touch ;) I actually placed 4th in Slovakia's natiaonal championship my first try beeing the youngest there so you see I am not going to stop :) But I love table tennis and I won't stop playing it either :) By putting more mass on i got slower and lost a bit of touch, started to hit unusuall amout of edges .... As for the blade, I like the good mid way, not too flexy, not too stiff ... linear feeling so being slow in low power shots but having a decent power on full power strokes(extreme power not needed, just decent) I am going to put Acuda P2 blue 1.8 on both sides. I hope that 's perfectlly good explanation for you and good enough to try actually help me insted of "pooping" and making some blade even faster .....

Last edited: