Butterfly should update thier looks.

This user has no status.
I've been looking around and I notice that Butterfly haven't changed the molds of thier rubbers, as you can still see the old, old Butterfly logo on Sriver and the old one on Tenergy.

Also, they should update the handles on blades. Personally(this might upset a few people, sorry in advance) I hate the colours on the Viscaria handle. Its so dull and boring. And some blades such as the Boll Spirit's designs are a bit outdated, especially the plastic tag on the front of the handle.

All I'm proposing is that Butterfly could add the option to get the new logo on old rubber eg. The butterfly logo thats on Dignics, glayser and Rozena on a Tenergy. It would look a lot more slick and trendy. But only put this as an option so the people who want the old logos can have them. Im tired of seeing a new slick bat that has the wonky Butterfly logo on Tenergy. It just ruins it for me.

Also the option to put a new blade handle on an old blade eg. The new Viscaria Super ALC handle(which looks good) on the Viscaria. Also maybe design a variation of the boll blade series handles to go on the Boll Spirit. But again, only add these as options so the people who want the old ones can have them.

Maybe it doesn't have to be Butterfly, as they might not want to risk this move until they know that it is popular. Maybe it could be an ESN company who are a bit more experimental such as stiga, who already have experimented with CWT.

Look, I know that aesthetics don't help people play, but they help boost confidence in the bat for people like me. I don't want to spend £150+ on a blade for it to not look good. So I want options.

What do you think about this? Do you think its a good idea. Do you like the old looks? Maybe the new options might be a bit more expensive, but that won't matter for those EJ's out there.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
or they could offer Tenergy in Pink / Fushia
or Dignic in Purple / Mauve.

IMG_6710.jpeg

Imagine how many more giggly high school girls will take take up TT if BTY intro retro-pink rubber.
IMG_4376.jpeg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Lol... my wish list is just for them to manufacture a D09c with extremely good durability.

05 is hard to control af in the short game and also has a little less looping spin than 09c - I consider 09c to be a better FH rubber than 05.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Lol... my wish list is just for them to manufacture a D09c with extremely good durability.

05 is hard to control af in the short game and also has a little less looping spin than 09c - I consider 09c to be a better FH rubber than 05.
D05 doesn't need to be that good in the short game eg. Touches and pushes, because it excels at flicks and loops, then the countering game. This is why it is so popular with the pros.

Reactions: blahness
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Regarding making changes to the old rubber design. ITTF M4 forbids any re -design of molds unless the rubber is going to be re-listed to LARC as a different product.

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
unless the rubber is going to be re-listed to LARC as a different product.
That's what i am proposing. Either they rename the old products(if they can, i am not sure) to like 'Tenergy 05 OL'(Old Logo) or release a new series with new logos. What about blades? Can they add new designs?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
That's what i am proposing. Either they rename the old products(if they can, i am not sure) to like 'Tenergy 05 OL'(Old Logo) or release a new series with new logos. What about blades? Can they add new designs?
Please visit SDC's website. It looks like blades do not need to be ITTF approved (but yet in order to compete in Japan, the baldes have to be JTTA approved.

This user has no status.
Please visit SDC's website. It looks like blades do not need to be ITTF approved (but yet in order to compete in Japan, the baldes have to be JTTA approved.

I have visited before; I am a fan of his work. I was considering getting an innerforce clone from him but then I realised that maybe it wouldn't feel then same.

So then i thought maybe i should get an innerforce then send over the blade to him so he can put a custom handle on for me. But the price just got too high as i would have to ship over the blade to Portugal, pray it doesn't get lost, then wait for it to come back. A lengthy, expensive process.

In the end I bought a Ovtcharov ALC from a Taiwanese shop, and i love the handle so i am not willing to change it. I love custom blade makers like SDC, they often have great prices and are great quality. But for me they are too sparse for them to be efficient.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Butterfly's response: "We listened to the TT community and agreed that our designs are outdated. In October 2024 we will be launching an updated series for our rubbers and blades. Customers will be able to order the new designs for the same product, ONLY for an extra $40 per sheet of rubber, or $65 per blade! Pre-order now and get a $2 discount!"

In reality, redesigning and updating a product costs money, and doing so just to sell the same exact product would be a risk. And expect to be charged extra for that same product.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
HOW FRESH are THE BUTTERFLY RUBBER PRODUCTS as found on marketplace.
The shape of Butterfly logo will tell you how old the rubber product is. Symmetry of the wings indicates a newer product. Assymetric wings signify an obsolete product manufactured anywhere prior to 2015. Looking for freshy rubbers by Butterfly? The newly designed dustcover with varicoloured rings is the guide to follow .

Butterfly logo.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding making changes to the old rubber design. ITTF M4 forbids any re -design of molds unless the rubber is going to be re-listed to LARC as a different product.
DHS re-listed over a dozen of 20+ year old rubbers with new molds
So, this is not even a problem. Just small technicallity for the product manager to deal with LARC

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have visited before; I am a fan of his work. I was considering getting an innerforce clone from him but then I realised that maybe it wouldn't feel then same.

So then i thought maybe i should get an innerforce then send over the blade to him so he can put a custom handle on for me. But the price just got too high as i would have to ship over the blade to Portugal, pray it doesn't get lost, then wait for it to come back. A lengthy, expensive process.

In the end I bought a Ovtcharov ALC from a Taiwanese shop, and i love the handle so i am not willing to change it. I love custom blade makers like SDC, they often have great prices and are great quality. But for me they are too sparse for them to be efficient.
I am a fan of his work. His current waitlist is about 6 months long.

Quite honestly, I want a blade from him as a piece of art work and will ask for the most bling bling out handle. I have little interest in actually playing the blade for serious competition. I have plenty of blades as of now.

I also have a daughter and a son who are 11 and 9.5 respectively. I am thinking about ordering them some custom blades with very cute handles to get them into table tennis a bit more. :) :)

This user has no status.
I am a fan of his work. His current waitlist is about 6 months long.
6 months!?!?! Wondered how a man could keep up with so many orders, and now i know why. I agree that you want a blade as a piece of artwork though, if i had a blade that beautiful, i would never cover it up with rubbers!

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
6 months!?!?! Wondered how a man could keep up with so many orders, and now i know why. I agree that you want a blade as a piece of artwork though, if i had a blade that beautiful, i would never cover it up with rubbers!
Yes I would probably just frame it! When it is so good looking, why cover it up with rubbers?

His price overall is not bad. I can see how all the add-on's like carbon on each side and a very very complicated handle can push the price to $150-$200 a blade easily. But I rather buy that than spend $360 on say, Butterfly Fan Zhendong Super ZLC.

I have EJ'ed a lot of blades. I like my cheap blades. I don't care about handles. For example I have a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon and a Buttefly Viscaria but my main blade right now is $40. I care more about how it plays than how it looks.

But if I were to buy one from SDC six months later, yeah, I will pay up and keep it as a work of art!