Camera for making youtube videos

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello! i want your help again!

It would be fun to try to do youtube videos, but i do not want to spend big money on an expensive camera if i feel that i do not want to continue or if no one is watching.

Do you guys think it will work with the camera of my cellphone? Of course it depends on the cellphone. I have a pretty new phone and i think the picture is pretty good.

or do you guys have any tips on cheaper cameras?

And do you know any good free edit programs.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Most smarts phones are good enough
problem is battery and heat, should you want to use it for long

key thing is the tripod, to keep the camera/phone steady

Thanks! i already have a tripod and a thing where you put the phone! Bought it for players to use at my trainings but no one uses it! :(I think it is very good to film yourself. easier to see why you miss.

I read that you did some videos and felt that it took to much time. How long time did it take to edit things in general?

thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The first thing that you can benefit recording you, because you can see your mistakes, and try to fix them, it doesn't matter if other see it, but for coaching or do advices, if you want earn money on YouTube you should think about it again.

By otherside you never said what phone do you use, so it's difficult to know if you bought a rebranded Nokia 1100 or an iPhone X, anyway if your phone cam has 1080p you can do it without issues, even 720p is enough, if your phone has 4k even better.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The first thing that you can benefit recording you, because you can see your mistakes, and try to fix them, it doesn't matter if other see it, but for coaching or do advices, if you want earn money on YouTube you should think about it again.

By otherside you never said what phone do you use, so it's difficult to know if you bought a rebranded Nokia 1100 or an X, anyway if your phone cam has 1080p you can do it without issues, even 720p is enough, if your phone has 4k even better.

I read about earning money on youtube and it seems to be very difficult, but not impossible. But maybe tabletennis is to narrow subject. But i feel that there are videos from coaches and players that get alot of views very fast, and i think that some of the coaches are not crazy good. That sounds wrong, i do not mean that they are bad, but i more like that i do not feel like a worse coach than they are. Almost better than some. But maybe they explain really well and do all the others stuff really well. Feel that it must be difficult to know what points to focus on in every stroke, there are so much you can say.

I tried to write that i have a new popular phone but the forum did not let me write the whole word correct. Why do the forum tell me but not you? haha, not fair. EDIT: i have the phone that Steve jobs created. how in hell could you write that word? tried several times now. Why is it not allowed to write it? EDIT AGAIN: i needed to remove the word from your message here aswell.

Anyway thanks for the answer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
The smartphone Steve Jobs helped bring to market is probably used in a lot of spam messages, that's why it's blocked here.

A fun side-effect is that the signature from the mobile forum app can contain this word and when you try to full quote someone you can't post it until you remove it from the quote :rolleyes:

If you just want to cut or just pre-cut your videos I suggest you try AviDemux http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

That's what I'm using and the main benefit it that you can remove video content by cutting from one keyframe to the some other keyframe and then can save this video without needing to re-encode it. This can help you save hours of time.

I'm not sure if it works with your Steve Jobs phone video format though, but it even works with 4k 60 fps videos:

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks! Who are you in the video?

This user has no status.
Phone should be fine if it's new, but memory and battery can be a problem for long high definition videos.

I think having 60fps really sets you apart from other videos btw and is key for table tennis. Most YouTube videos don't have it which is a shame but yours would stand out. Depending on how serious you are using it for coaching and how much money you have a spare a dedicated camera which can film 1080p 60fps would be a good investment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I know the avatar quality on this forum is pretty low, but surely you should be able to discern between the older gentleman with gray hair and the _other_ player :rolleyes:

Haha! Yeaah i missed the picture! Now i know!

I think you have pretty nice technique for your level or any level But feel that you miss somewhat much because you misread the spin and Do not move so much so you need to play to many different shots which is unsafe or miss.

It also seems like the other Guy is using longpimples? And if he plays like that it is proably not so much friction. So you should not play so much sidespin serves, the ball Will Come nasty back. More backspin and topspin so you can decide What kind of ball you are getting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Haha! Yeaah i missed the picture! Now i know!

I think you have pretty nice technique for your level or any level But feel that you miss somewhat much because you misread the spin and Do not move so much so you need to play to many different shots which is unsafe or miss.

It also seems like the other Guy is using longpimples? And if he plays like that it is proably not so much friction. So you should not play so much sidespin serves, the ball Will Come nasty back. More backspin and topspin so you can decide What kind of ball you are getting.

*advances further into off-topic territory* :rolleyes:
Thanks for your feedback! It's always welcome.

I already know that my footwork is lacking, that's why I'm called StehTischtennis, which is German for "Stand(ing)Tabletennis" :cool:

Judging by your long pimples comment, I guess you've mainly watched the first 2 sets, which I lost until I did exactly what your suggesting. Removed the spin from my serves and attacked his and managed to win in the end. :)

I'm thinking about opening a dedicated thread to get some coaching feedback on my videos, but I don't know if people would be interested in that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I already know that my footwork is lacking, that's why I'm called StehTischtennis, which is German for "Stand(ing)Tabletennis" :cool:

Judging by your long pimples comment, I guess you've mainly watched the first 2 sets, which I lost until I did exactly what your suggesting. Removed the spin from my serves and attacked his and managed to win in the end. :)

I'm thinking about opening a dedicated thread to get some coaching feedback on my videos, but I don't know if people would be interested in that.

Nice nickname!

I think people is very helpful here as long as you are humble and have a nicee attitude. So go for it! Atleast you can try! I think it is best if you show some exercises or just warm up, easier to see how the strokes are then i think. But i think you need to try the tips on your own then and maybe be a bit source critical or what it is called.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

Of course, I'm interested at least, btw I'm not coach but I can learn from your successful strokes, and perhaps can give you some words, and several guys will add their opinions or coaching

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks! i already have a tripod and a thing where you put the phone! Bought it for players to use at my trainings but no one uses it! :(I think it is very good to film yourself. easier to see why you miss.

I read that you did some videos and felt that it took to much time. How long time did it take to edit things in general?

thanks!

I didn't edit it much, but when I used to do videos, I had very slow internet. ADSL 6mb down, and 512kb upload.
so a few hundred mb video would take hours to upload.

you can check my youtube channel tony's table tennis
last upload was 2013 I think

but now I have 100/25mb fibre, but no time to film lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I do most of my recordings at 60 FPS and sometimes 120 FPS. i_Phones can record at 120 FPS but lack memory. I use an 128GB iPad. There is plenty of room. What I like about using a tablet is the screen size. I can review the video on the spot easily. At the Stellan training camps, Angie walks around with an iPad recording play and then showing to the students so they get immediate feed back. They can see what they are doing wrong so they can correct themselves immediately.
I have a tripod and an adapter so I can mount the iPad on the tripod. I use iMovie to edit. I usually don't do more than cut out the time between rallies. Think the camera angle is important. Even the elevation. I like the camera to be down low just above table height. I also like to angle the camera across the FH corner so I am not recording the near players back side.
For training I move the camera off to the side on my FH side but inline with the back edge of the camera. I like to check how the angle of my paddle is changing during my stroke.

Editing is a pain. I have lots of videos that need to be edited.

I was given GoPro 3 black for Christmas a couple of years ago. Go Pros are not right for recording table tennis.

It is easier to tell the guy in green is playing with long pips than to notice is hair.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I do most of my recordings at 60 FPS and sometimes 120 FPS. i_Phones can record at 120 FPS but lack memory. I use an 128GB iPad. There is plenty of room. What I like about using a tablet is the screen size. I can review the video on the spot easily. At the Stellan training camps, Angie walks around with an iPad recording play and then showing to the students so they get immediate feed back. They can see what they are doing wrong so they can correct themselves immediately.
I have a tripod and an adapter so I can mount the iPad on the tripod. I use iMovie to edit. I usually don't do more than cut out the time between rallies. Think the camera angle is important. Even the elevation. I like the camera to be down low just above table height. I also like to angle the camera across the FH corner so I am not recording the near players back side.
For training I move the camera off to the side on my FH side but inline with the back edge of the camera. I like to check how the angle of my paddle is changing during my stroke.

Editing is a pain. I have lots of videos that need to be edited.

I was given GoPro 3 black for Christmas a couple of years ago. Go Pros are not right for recording table tennis.

It is easier to tell the guy in green is playing with long pips than to notice is hair.

Okey, thanks for the great information! How is Stellans camps? Any good? My first training camp in Falkenberg had Stellan as a coach. Can not remember much so do not know how it was really, i was so young.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Tonys tabletennis! May i ask where you were born? Are you from south africa? I think you look asian, and i also notice you are holding penhold. If you are asian, how come you came to south africa? Sorry if this is to personal, i am curious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Okey, thanks for the great information! How is Stellans camps? Any good? My first training camp in Falkenberg had Stellan as a coach. Can not remember much so do not know how it was really, i was so young.
I just visited a camp in Salem Oregon for a couple of hours and watched. The people taking the lessons liked it and I thought the immediate feedback provided by Angie and the iPad was great. The camp is 6 hours a day. I am over 60 and would be wiped out after a few hours let alone the 3 or 4 days of the camp. There is some standing around watching demonstrations but there is also a lot of playing against other students. One of my practice partners took the class. He liked it but blamed a knee injury on the class because at the time floors were concrete. Since then there have been red floor mats installed. I think this is more a function of the facility than the camp itself. I know some people that have taken the class multiple times. The class fills up quickly. The classes are divided into levels. Below and above 1600 USATT.