Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Hahaha. OldSchool thought that, when you said you had been in a rut, it meant you had been not well or ill in some way. I guess Cornel saw that and did not see what you wrote.

But what you wrote was an indication that you had been in a cycle of not playing well, rather than not feeling well.

I almost made a comment. But.....

Well, now you know why the whole world is sending you flowers and get well cards. Hahaha.

"Hey, Shuki, I hope you get better fast! Practice, Practice, Practice. That is all it takes to get better!" "Oh, yeah, and a few self affirmations." Hehe.

I've actually read Shuki's post, but it seems that I've misunderstood what he meant in this sentence :

Shuki said:
Played sick today.

I thought he said that he was ill while playing, but in fact he meant that he just had a poor day. Lesson learned. My English has just got a little bit better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey I have rheumatoid arthritis too. Have you tried Humira? It helped me tremendously and I literally feel normal again. Notice a huge difference when I'm off it. If you want I can give you more info but tbh talking to your doctor about it is the way to go. But totally recommend it!!!!
Yes, I am looking at it. Thanks - it's definitely a possibility.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As some of you know, Brett has been in my city this week. Doing some training and learning some advanced things that I may never be able to do. But it is always fun to learn ;).

A clip from one of the general clinics he gave the club. He does some specialized sessions with TTEdge members but he and others will have to review those before I feel I can post anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I've actually read Shuki's post, but it seems that I've misunderstood what he meant in this sentence :

Played sick today.

I thought he said that he was ill while playing, but in fact he meant that he just had a poor day. Lesson learned. My English has just got a little bit better.

Actually i interpretted the same way, however, showing my age, 'sick' in this context doesn't mean he had a poor day as witness his 11-2 record. Sick in this case meant he played very well.

I'm 51, and in my day, 'bad' was used in the same way... generation or 2 after me uses 'sick' ... 'phat' (pronounced as 'fat') also is also used by the younger generations, phat i know, sick i know also, but misread the context

LOLOL at me

Deepest apologies Shuki and Cornell!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello TTDers:

Last night, played pretty much nonstop 3 hrs ... very tired and sore all over today... at my age, it takes longer to recover LOL ... normally while waiting on a table i would have a break, but it worked out as i finished on one table and called next on another, they finished and my turn came up

1) played J., a shakehander, who is generally defensive... tricky spinny lobs, sidespin loop, hit with him once before, but his back acted up and he took a break, last night, warmed up with him, he was already warmed up and he won 1st game at 7, but then i think he said his knees were acting up and he took a break ... i thanked him for the game

2) played a traditional Japanese penholder grip next (he lost to my first opponent J. in 3 straight, but close games) ... ~1800, steady player, super sidespin loops, can smash, excellent backhand (which somehow has a little sidespin on it) ... played him one other time, and we had close games then but i lost 3-1 with 2 games of the games at extended deuce... used my old racket then) ... last night with my new racket, lost 3 straight and again, all close games at 8 and 9 and last one at deuce. Some points were classic me, he's a slower style player, i served fast no spin to his backhand, he pops it up surprised by my speed and i smashed for a winner ... another point, i smashed and he lobbed and i smashed to other wing for winner ... he is either my age or a little older, so not sure if it's my explosiveness/speed on smashes that gets him or he is used to playing opponents who have a slower paced game or if he doesn't play mostly smashers ... i lost last night mostly because i missed my loops (still trying to loop the modern short stroke loop vs my oldschool windup-behind-the-back loop)

3) A gentleman I usually play, we both know each other's games by now ... i have never beaten him, but we have close games, generally i lose 3-0, but once in awhile i'll lose 3-1 or 3-2, easily 1600, may be 1800 or so

Weapons-wise he has more as he is a modern ph ... steady, can attack, generally plays away from table, can play some defense ... he eats my pendulum sidetop serve, before he ever played me, i don't think he ever served down the line to opponent's fh, after we played and i get a few aces from that serve, he has added it to his service repetoire and aces me from time to time LOL

If we push, i generally have better control and angles to set up loop ... he generally loops his first with slow topspin, i generally time it and smash it, sometimes for outright winners and sometimes for extended rallies with me winning the point more often than not ... as i type this up, i just had an epiphany, force him to loop so i can smash them ... LOL at me

One point he reverse bh me good! I served fast nospin to his bh and he expected it or timed it right ... he got me good! I move him side to side mostly. He 2nd ball loops fast to my fh catching me flatfooted. I lost 3-2. All close games.

He speaks Mandarin and I speak Cantonese, despite the language barrier in Chinese dialects, we have the common language of Table Tennis and after my losses, I AM ALWAYS SMILING FROM EAR TO EAR AND HE AS WELL ... we both know we have good close matches. I enjoy playing him as he is a good challenge.

4) A gentleman i only played once before was next... SH, has a good fh smash, plays away from table ... the last time we played he was winning 2-1, i was too tired to continue and apologized to him and called it a night

Last night, i was starting to fatigue, i eked out a win and won 3-2. lost most my points on my missed loops. served fast nospin to his bh and i was able to smash mostly winners. He ate my pendulum side top as well as my short sidedown. i ate some of his serves. I'm not a defender and if i let him attack me, i lose.

5) My friend M2 saw an open table and said, "Let's hit.", told him i was pretty tired, but he quipped, "I'm trying to help you lose weight" ... lol ... M2 peaked at 2300, currently he's rated 2000, but i think he's ~2200. With him, we generally hit for 15-30 mins. Last Monday, first time, he said let's play a game and he spotted me 4 points... says he doesn't think he can spot me 5.

Last night, we just hit and chatted at the same time. A better table opened up, we moved. R. was sitting on side and watched and I was hitting spastically, fh to fh ... R. commented that i move my racket too much and it's not steady at the same angle. My friend 42andbackpains pointed that out to me in the past. In my mind, i think i'm hitting with the same form/stroke, but i see the hits

M2 says loop from my fh side to his bh... so i tried to loop the short stroke ... he says to relax, and i'm still trying to find the stroke/timing and am tense... when i loop the longer stroke i'm generally more relaxed ... he asked me to try his sh racket ... the side i hit with had Yinhe Max Tensor (or some similar-sounding name... i don't know the new rubbers yet)... either the weight of the 2 rubbers and/or the shakehand blade or the rubber, i seemed to loop better ... M2 says i shouldn't use the DHS H3 and use that rubber he has, also mentioned i probably should add a backsheet for weight ... i'm not used to the weight

Maybe hit only 30 mins or so and then closing time. Walked home ~30 mins.

REFLECTIONS

* may try the Yinhe Max Tensor (if i have name right) instead of sticking to DHS H3
* lost most of my points on missed loops
* started last night with intention of 3rd ball loops and 2nd ball - mind was willing, body wasn't... executed about 60% of the time, lost about 50% of the points based on bad looping
* have not started to shave my racket handle more yet, but will soon ... i can't 'turn' from my fh to my bh on some points

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Just a couple of thoughts, what I am doing these days is to always have a couple of banana's handy in case somebody wants to keep playing when I am drained . Generally, helps me in lasting longer ... and the other thing is the warm down stretching ... if you can take some time and do some stretching after you are done playing , it definitely helps in coming back fresher the next day ..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Generational lingo changes. I'm surprised how big of a difference it could make in my writing haha.

Anyway, I'm about to go play with 2 broken legs and a few kidney stones. That means I'll be playing pretty well for you old timers. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know if it is generational. I'm 51. I didn't even register the word sick because I knew what you meant.

As a kid I spent a decent amount of time in Massachusetts. And back in the 1970s in Massachusetts, "Sick" and "Wicked" both had the same slang usage as Shuki's. So perhaps, regional or cultural. Not sure.

"That was a wicked shot. Totally sick!"

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just a couple of thoughts, what I am doing these days is to always have a couple of banana's handy in case somebody wants to keep playing when I am drained . Generally, helps me in lasting longer ... and the other thing is the warm down stretching ... if you can take some time and do some stretching after you are done playing , it definitely helps in coming back fresher the next day ..

Thank you for the advice on bananas... i generally have 1 or 2 protein bars with me, but it was almost no break, and was so in the moment of playing, that i didn't remember to have one.

Yeah, i'm a righty, as i rotate to my left mostly, i stretch by rotating to my right to 'counter' ... also, don't do enough of cool down stretching as i should but generally do a little at the club as well as once home

Thank you again!

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Bananas are good for quick energy so good suggestion.

Stretching after helps soooo much.

So, two good ideas.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am righty too and table tennis being an asymmetric sport , that coupled with my day job which consists of sitting all day in from of a laptop is not really the best thing for the body .
Plus, my left knee was injured in a freak accident while playing soccer around 12 years back .. and I am 220 pounds. So technically I am 35 but in reality around 50 I would say ...

So what this does is essentially , stress my hips , especially the hips and my leg muscles . I have found out that if I can spend around 30 minutes in the evening after play , doing stretches , shoulder , arms , neck , hamstrings , hips etc. it really helps me to go back to the club the next day ... sometimes I am lazy , sometimes I am busy , but what I try to do is multitask, lets say I have a call, I will put it on speakers or on ear pods and try to stretch at the same time :) . Bananas do help in energy because of the carbs , it also aids muscle repair. I have also found Carrot juice to be useful ...

Carl has posted a lot of helpful stretches in threads all over the forum , and even the regular straightforward ones we learnt as kids help.
Thank you for the advice on bananas... i generally have 1 or 2 protein bars with me, but it was almost no break, and was so in the moment of playing, that i didn't remember to have one.

Yeah, i'm a righty, as i rotate to my left mostly, i stretch by rotating to my right to 'counter' ... also, don't do enough of cool down stretching as i should but generally do a little at the club as well as once home

Thank you again!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
M2 says loop from my fh side to his bh... so i tried to loop the short stroke ... he says to relax, and i'm still trying to find the stroke/timing and am tense... when i loop the longer stroke i'm generally more relaxed ...

Two ideas:

1) Choose your times to work in short stroke. But don't be attached to the idea. Some people are good with big strokes. I have a friend who is penhold+RPB. He is about 1900. His FH strokes are gigantic but it works for him.

2) For working on new technique, I like to grove it with shadow strokes till it feels natural. It is not the same as working at the table against a real person and tracking a ball. But it helps get the technique into muscle memory.

Here is a story about the first TT lesson I ever took. It was with Alex Pérez. This is maybe 2010. Alex was playing a match and complaining about back problems. So someone told him he should come to me, that I could "fix" him. Not exactly accurate. But what I do can be helpful for a lot of different back issues.

Anyway so, Alex came to me and said, "Can we do a trade?" I liked the idea. Before he did his lesson with me he watched me play. And he said: "My back, it's not so good, but it's not so bad as your table tennis!" Hahahahaha.

So he brought me into a room with a mirror and he worked with me till I had a shadow stroke for FH and one for BH that, to him seemed technically proficient. And he told me: "You do 1000 FH and 1000 BH looking in the mirror every day from now till next week when I give you a lesson. I will know if you did it or not!"

I definitely did what he asked and probably more. And when I did the lesson with him he definitely could tell and I could too. The effectiveness of the practice has caused me to continue using shadow work to this day. And I promise my footwork would really be bad if I did not practice shadow stroke/footwork drills as well.

Many people have seen my video shorts on shadow footwork drills. But I filmed them to post them on TTDaily so.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Very cool Carl! Thank you!! I don't have access to a big mirror. I do 'shadow fighting' (i train Filipino martial arts) and do my stickwork along with the footwork, much like what you did in the videos. Sometimes i do the shadow fighting to feel the form (like you said), sometimes i do the shadowfighting vs imaginary opponent. I don't do it enough for TT though. Generally my 'trigger' for smashing is serve sidetop, see ball pop up, explosive 3rd ball smash ... i'm trying to transfer that explosiveness into triggering my body for looping and not nowhere near there yet LOL

Ages ago i used to shadow serve and shadow 2nd/3rd ball attack ... since unretirement, while waiting for a table, i sit by table and flick my wrist for pendulum serves, with and without my racket... i also punch/push block seated, as well as fh 'pick' or whatever that stroke is called ... against you back in june, i tried picking a lot and gave you many points LOL

There's a lot of crossover between MA and TT ... lol at me for not making the connection earlier.

and LOLOLOLOL at "My back, it's not so good, but it's not so bad as your table tennis!"

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
and LOLOLOLOL at "My back, it's not so good, but it's not so bad as your table tennis!"

Yep. Alex made me laugh big time. And I have told that story many times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Btw: shadow training can be done without a mirror too. I'm sure you would be fine without the mirror.

yeah, typed incoherently... meant i don't use a mirror for my martial arts shadowfighting, so i can do the shadow TT drills, but as it's a new technique for me, it would be better with a mirror

will see if i can set up my phone to vid me as an alternative

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yeah, typed incoherently... meant i don't use a mirror for my martial arts shadowfighting, so i can do the shadow TT drills, but as it's a new technique for me, it would be better with a mirror

will see if i can set up my phone to vid me as an alternative

Bathroom mirror to check form of stroke. Then you don't need a mirror after that.