Defender inverted rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Hi,

I have played for a couple of years now and currently playing as an offensive player, but i tend to go into defensive positions because i enjoy chopping.
After our current season, i would like to switch to a more defensive playstyle since i enjoy it way more than the standard offensive one, its fun being creative with the defensive plays.
I have tried longpips, shortpips and anti rubbers a couple of times, but i dont enjoy it, i would like to play defensive with normal inverted rubbers, so i would like some suggestions.

Currently i have been looking at Butterfly Tackiness Chop & Giant Dragon - Submarine, but since this is not the most common playstyle, its hard to find opinion on rubbers. So this is what i need help with.

Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Butterfly Tackiness is great for what youre planning, but more importantly you need a blade that you feel comfortable with. Defensive blades have very different "feels" and feedback sensations. Also what throw height you enjoy. Lots of variables. Good starting point is the donic defplay senso, it's cheap, flexible and fast enough when you hit hard.
The German store ttdd.eu sells the marder series which is similar to Butterfly wackiness, but cheaper and bit more modern. But that's nuances.

Reactions: Dosprompten
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Butterfly Tackiness is great for what youre planning, but more importantly you need a blade that you feel comfortable with. Defensive blades have very different "feels" and feedback sensations. Also what throw height you enjoy. Lots of variables. Good starting point is the donic defplay senso, it's cheap, flexible and fast enough when you hit hard.
The German store ttdd.eu sells the marder series which is similar to Butterfly wackiness, but cheaper and bit more modern. But that's nuances.
Thank you so much for the advice, i was thinking about using one of these as a defensive blade since i already have these laying around at home.

Butterfly Maze Advance or Butterfly Zoran Primorac, what do you think?​

Ganna Gaponova plays Tackiness Chop on FH (with LP on BH) and I really love her style and because of it I already tried Donic Defplay Senso + Tackiness Chop II combination, but I obviously don't understand that rubber neither on BH nor FH side. It somehow slows a game on BH, but it's dead on FH, slow topspin is max, but no real power. It's possible to smash, but it consumes a lot of player's energy. BH pushes are not dangerous neither. Maybe it needs a faster blade like Diode V, or it's only great far away from the table, I don't know. So, be careful with Tackiness Chop, especially combining with Donic Defplay Senso ;-) It's an old fashioned rubber, IMHO even Andro Hexer Grip SFX fits better to BH side today. In fact I'm getting much better chops with Glayzer 09C or Rakza Z (even with EH version).

Have you played donic defplay senso + tackiness chop? I don't think so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I've tried Giant Dragon Submarine a bit. Though it isn't my play style, it felt really nice in many ways. It's a bit tacky and grippy but isn't that spin sensitive. It really kills a bit of the incoming power from the opponents attack and it's super in the short game. Easy to make your opponent think that serves have more spin than they really have :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
Have you played donic defplay senso + tackiness chop? I don't think so.
No I have not. your right, but I played it with chinese tacky rubber on forehand and curl p1r on the BH. Which are not very fast either. It also depends if you even want to chop on the forehand.
I suggested the defplay because it's the cheapest blade, that pros played and it's easy to handle.

No I have not. your right, but I played it with chinese tacky rubber on forehand and curl p1r on the BH. Which are not very fast either. It also depends if you even want to chop on the forehand.
I suggested the defplay because it's the cheapest blade, that pros played and it's easy to handle.
Thank you for your honest reply. In addition, it also depends which type of defense Dosprompten would like to play. Close to the table or far from the table? My guess is 'close to the table' as he's an offensive player, who already tried short pips. And here's the difference, Ganna Gaponova plays Joo Saehyuk blade, which is recommended for far from the table defense + BH Feint Long 2 [long pips] + FH Tackiness Chop. This setup works. Joo Saehyuk is no more available, Diode V is the only recommended substitution AFAIK.

Panagiotis Gionis is a similar chopper, but with more active game. He plays Korbel + Feint Long 2 + Tenergy 05. He doesn't play Tackiness Chop.

Donic Defplay Senso is a great blade and obviously it's OK with your LP on BH. One year ago I started my transition from a boring long pips chopper to some more aggressive player and that setup was my first transitional one (having Gaponova and Gionis on my mind) - Defplay Senso / Tackiness Chop 1.5 mm / Tenergy 05 1.9 mm (I know, don't laugh please :) I noticed I can't play it like Ganna Gaponova, I could only use Tackiness Chop on my BH side in a passive long pips mode. It's a still playable setup for me, blade is great for a sudden attack and I can control T05 with it, but this is not what I was looking for. BTW, for a total defense Defplay Classic Senso is probably even better, same price.

I checked revspin, this guy obviously enjoys Donic Defplay Senso + Giant Dragon Submarine + Giant Dragon Dragon Talon (LP) setup, so maybe this is a better choice?! But again, there are long pips on BH :)