Long Pimples Sponge Thickness 0.5mm or 1.0mm ? Modern Defender Chopping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Anyone know which sponge thickness is the "best" for modern defender playstyle chopping far away from the table? I am planning to use the Barna Original Legend Long with a 0.5mm sponge thickness because of this video showcasing it (
Guy in the video was using 0.5mm sponge thickness. My question is which sponge thickness should I go for and what are the main differences between these two sponge thicknesses?

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Stable chopping 0.5 is best.

Going up in sponge thickness means more ability for spin manipulation at the cost of the LP becoming faster and less easier to handle control-wise.

Japanese coaches usually start their kids with 0.5 and keep at or around this thickness, whilst Korean philosophy is to go as high a thickness as one can handle as soon as possible.

As a side note Chinese philosophy is the use of SP for best spin variation.

Reactions: ai_yo and JJ Ng
says Feeling blue
says Feeling blue
Sep 2023
Is there any rule about any maximum sponge thickness for that matter, pimple or smooth ?
I am NOT talking about total maximum allowed rubber thickness of 4.0 mm or total maximum top sheet thickness of 2.0 mm (pimples out or in) . And no, 4 mm-2mm= 2mm is not the correct answer,because you know Max sponges are like 2.2 mm or so

Thank you.
I just remember that OX sponge is not allowed, otherwise, I can't remember the minimum thickness of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Its only personal preference
Yes! I started out with 0.6mm and gradually moved to 1.4mm TSP P1-R.
Thicker sponges will absorb more energy so the rebound won't be so fast. The thicker sponge will let the ball sink in so there should be more friction that can be useful if the chopper really likes to chop by "brushing" on the bottom side of the ball.

0.6 is a good place to start. After that it is a preference. The thinner rubbers will allow one to play more of a pushblocker game if the chopper is not mobile enough to get back from the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Yes! I started out with 0.6mm and gradually moved to 1.4mm TSP P1-R.
Thicker sponges will absorb more energy so the rebound won't be so fast. The thicker sponge will let the ball sink in so there should be more friction that can be useful if the chopper really likes to chop by "brushing" on the bottom side of the ball.

0.6 is a good place to start. After that it is a preference. The thinner rubbers will allow one to play more of a pushblocker game if the chopper is not mobile enough to get back from the table.
So basically, thicker sponge for long pips = more control
thinner sponge = more deception = harder to control
OX = most deception = hardest to control?

Does this summarize it well?

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
So basically, thicker sponge for long pips = more control
thinner sponge = more deception = harder to control
OX = most deception = hardest to control?

Does this summarize it well?
Yikes… this is… wrong yet could still be correct under the right assumptions… except thinner sponge, this is completely wrong. ~0.5/0.6 is usually suggested as the starting point as it gives high stability and ease of use.

No doubt you’re passionate and eager to learn so I suggest you direct your energy to the OOAK forum and start educating yourself there. Also noppen-test with the help of inbuilt browser translator if you don’t understand German.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Yikes… this is… wrong yet could still be correct under the right assumptions… except thinner sponge, this is completely wrong. ~0.5/0.6 is usually suggested as the starting point as it gives high stability and ease of use.

No doubt you’re passionate and eager to learn so I suggest you direct your energy to the OOAK forum and start educating yourself there. Also noppen-test with the help of inbuilt browser translator if you don’t understand German.
Yes, more control for WHAT is the key question. If you are far from the table trying to chop back a fast loop, a thicker sponge offers more control. If you are at the table trying to receive a spinny serve, OX is easier...

As you say 0.5mm is a decent middle ground between the two, which is why it's often recommended.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Yes, more control for WHAT is the key question. If you are far from the table trying to chop back a fast loop, a thicker sponge offers more control. If you are at the table trying to receive a spinny serve, OX is easier...

As you say 0.5mm is a decent middle ground between the two, which is why it's often recommended.
Okay this makes it much clearer to me now, thank you all for replying!

This user has no status.
Here is an interview with Masato Shiono. https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=24574
He was one of the rare professional choppers who used 0.5mm sponge thickness. Usually at a pro level they play with thicker sponge (Gionis, Filus, Kang Dangsoo...)

In the end, it comes to personal preference and feeling.
Completely agree, I think with 0.5 it’s probably slightly easier to read the amount of spin so you probably have to be prepared to play a few more shots compared to the variations of the thicker sponge, but definitely down to personal preference and style.