dhs long 3 vs fan zhendong alc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
hey, so I have an option of going for the fzd alc and dhs long 3. My current blade was ma lin carbon and I have played with tb alc too which i found to be quite controlled with lots of spin and okay dwell time(except i didnt like the handle, its quite small for my hand). So what would you guys recommend given that the dhs long 3 isn't a carbon blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Play with a friend's outer ALC blade for a bit. Then play with a 7 ply Clipper like blade for a bit. Which one do you like better?

If you have no friends with those, buy a $35 Yinhe or Sanwei ALC outer blade and $35 Yinhe PD-437 (7-ply). Which one do you like?

Then get the expensive Butterfly and DHS versions. Or keep the cheaper versions if you are satisfied with them as they play relatively the same with the biggest difference being finishing (and price of course).

Reactions: kindof99 and ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Play with a friend's outer ALC blade for a bit. Then play with a 7 ply Clipper like blade for a bit. Which one do you like better?

If you have no friends with those, buy a $35 Yinhe or Sanwei ALC outer blade and $35 Yinhe PD-437 (7-ply). Which one do you like?

Then get the expensive Butterfly and DHS versions. Or keep the cheaper versions if you are satisfied with them as they play relatively the same with the biggest difference being finishing (and price of course).
alright, I shall test them out. Have played with many of my friend's alc's, just need to test out what long 3 would feel like. Still, I'd like to know what people think who have played with both these blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
alright, I shall test them out. Have played with many of my friend's alc's, just need to test out what long 3 would feel like. Still, I'd like to know what people think who have played with both these blades.
Long 3 is a 7 ply clipper like blade. If you have friends with a Stiga Clipper try that out. The PD437 I mentioned is a similar blade and recommended because it's best value for price. There are other blades that might approximate the characteristics like a Yasaka Falck W7 or Xiom Solo.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Long 3 is a 7 ply clipper like blade. If you have friends with a Stiga Clipper try that out. The PD437 I mentioned is a similar blade and recommended because it's best value for price. There are other blades that might approximate the characteristics like a Yasaka Falck W7 or Xiom Solo.
ok i will, but would you recommend it over the fzd alc?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
ok i will, but would you recommend it over the fzd alc?
I can't recommend you get either blade unfortunately. Both are expensive and you don't want to spend that sort of money without knowing what will suit you better. I recommend you wait until later and keep playing with Ma Lin carbon until you have a firm grasp of your options.

Reactions: kindof99 and nablaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
I can't recommend you get either blade unfortunately. Both are expensive and you don't want to spend that sort of money without knowing what will suit you better. I recommend you wait until later and keep playing with Ma Lin carbon until you have a firm grasp of your options.
alright, I'll test out my options.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
long 3's handle is perfect, if you find tb alc too thin. But it's completely different blade, no carbon, top limba, 7ply thick blade, which you may like or not. TB alc or FZD alc (5+2 carbon, koto top) is also quite different from Ma lin carbon (3+2 carbon, limba top)
if you want outer alc, there should be some other blades with larger handles.
For me first you may choose which combination you want to play then you can find a blade with optimal handle for you.

Reactions: kindof99 and sawbz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
long 3's handle is perfect, if you find tb alc too thin. But it's completely different blade, no carbon, top limba, 7ply thick blade, which you may like or not. TB alc or FZD alc (5+2 carbon, koto top) is also quite different from Ma lin carbon (3+2 carbon, limba top)
if you want outer alc, there should be some other blades with larger handles.
For me first you may choose which combination you want to play then you can find a blade with optimal handle for you.
is long 3 faster than the alc?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
is long 3 faster than the alc?
No, tb alc is faster, stiffer, more direct.

3+2 primorac carbon
5+2 koto (tb alc) >
5+2 limba (bty inner series, long 5) >
7 hard wood >
7 soft top wood (long 3, clipper) >=
5 ply hard top (yasaka extra offensive, stiga rosewood etc) >
5 ply limba/soft top (nittaku acoustic, bty korbel, primorac etc)

Generic scheme is like above, of course there are some exceptions.

More layer -> faster
Carbon (5000 > zlc > alc) -> faster, larger sweet spot
Hard wood top -> faster, more direct
Thicker core(dhs x versions like long 5x) -> faster

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
No, tb alc is faster, stiffer, more direct.

3+2 primorac carbon
5+2 koto (tb alc) >
5+2 limba (bty inner series, long 5) >
7 hard wood >
7 soft top wood (long 3, clipper) >=
5 ply hard top (yasaka extra offensive, stiga rosewood etc) >
5 ply limba/soft top (nittaku acoustic, bty korbel, primorac etc)

Generic scheme is like above, of course there are some exceptions.

More layer -> faster
Carbon (5000 > zlc > alc) -> faster, larger sweet spot
Hard wood top -> faster, more direct
Thicker core(dhs x versions like long 5x) -> faster
thanks!

Reactions: Aizen
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
so i tested out both dhs long 3 with g1 fh and rakza x bh and tb alc with tenergy 05 fh and yasaka valmo bh.
the dhs felt really weird without the carbon feeling and slower close to the table, but had more control and more power when you stepped away from the table. The ball produced a high arc with loads of spin and the loop was monstrous but a 7 ply wood blade is not my cup of tea.
The tb on the hand had the exact right amount of spin, speed and control to finish a point. I enjoyed the carbon feeling more and the ball produced a lower arc compared to the long 3. The only thing i dont like about the tb is the smaller handle since my hands are big, otherwise its perfect for me ig.
Given that the fzd alc has a slightly thicker handle, and qualities similar to the alc, ig I'll lean towards purchasing that and hopefully it will suit me for the better :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
so i tested out both dhs long 3 with g1 fh and rakza x bh and tb alc with tenergy 05 fh and yasaka valmo bh.
the dhs felt really weird without the carbon feeling and slower close to the table, but had more control and more power when you stepped away from the table. The ball produced a high arc with loads of spin and the loop was monstrous but a 7 ply wood blade is not my cup of tea.
The tb on the hand had the exact right amount of spin, speed and control to finish a point. I enjoyed the carbon feeling more and the ball produced a lower arc compared to the long 3. The only thing i dont like about the tb is the smaller handle since my hands are big, otherwise its perfect for me ig.
Given that the fzd alc has a slightly thicker handle, and qualities similar to the alc, ig I'll lean towards purchasing that and hopefully it will suit me for the better :p
Viscaria is typically pretty available and has a significantly thicker handle, wonder if you'd like that if you have the opportunity to get one.

Go Fan Zhendong ALC is very stable does not bend in the middle like Viscaria that make the ball go to the net all the time, the Long 3 has the same problem the core bends too much and ball goes to the net, the DHS blades have consistency problems to get a good handle your blade should be over 90 grams i have 3 90 grams W968s 2 Provincials and 1 National i hand picked them that's is the only reason i got good handles, DHS try to accomodate the blade to fit a specific weight lets say 90grams that is the most prefered weight by the Chinese people and they make the handle smaller to fit that weight, also the Long 3 has a ceiling in speed no matter how harder you hit when you reached the ceiling that is all is gonna go. The Butterfly Fan Zhendong will feel almost like your Ma Lin Carbon soft with a little bit less dwell and will have a thick handle, is a very good blade, it lacks a little bit of speed but is better than Viscaria but slower.

Last edited: