Different style setups depending on opponent?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I notice that when I play looping attackers, I play better with tensor rubber on bh because i end up doing a lot of blocking. The tensor rubber is better for defending.

But when I play more pushing and blocking players, I play better with tacky rubbers on both sides as I end up doing most of the looping.

Do you ever find that experience? Do you keep separate setups to play different styles?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I notice that when I play looping attackers, I play better with tensor rubber on bh because i end up doing a lot of blocking. The tensor rubber is better for defending.

But when I play more pushing and blocking players, I play better with tacky rubbers on both sides as I end up doing most of the looping.

Do you ever find that experience? Do you keep separate setups to play different styles?
It happens. I don't do it with rubber switches, but I would definitely pick the slower of my identical setups if my opponent was more defensive.

Absolutely.
I use my Tenergy 05 setup against offensive players where I play a lot a little further back. This does not work at all against more defensive players where I get pulled in to a lot short game close to the table. For that I have a slower set up.
Then I have a third set up for testing. Same type of blade different rubbers.

Fast setup: FH Tenergy05 BH Tenergy05FX.

Slow setup: FH Hammond Z2 BH accuda blue P2

Test setup: FH Glayser09C BH Glayser

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
IMG_6200.jpeg

One set-up to rule them all.

IMG_6199.jpeg

Emma Watson set-ups. One for each occasion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I can see why people have different set-up's for different styles.

However, I don't have various set-up's for different styles. Right now, I am zoning in on a good blade plus rubber combination.

For example, I had Nittaku Acoustic carbon with T05 fx FH and T64 fx BH. I hated that set-up. I stripped the rubber and put them on other blades (on the BH side). Then I replaced them with H3 neo FH and Xiom Vega Europe on the BH. Much much better! The ball does not fly off the bat like a rocket anymore.

So for my set-up, I use H3 neo on the FH and an ESN/Tenergy fx on the BH. In a way I already have a set up for everything I need. If I need to block more, it will be my ESN/Tenergy fx BH that takes most of the block. When I attack, I use H3 neo to generate spin. I don't see the need for different set-up's for different opponents.

I can see why people have different set-up's for different styles.

However, I don't have various set-up's for different styles. Right now, I am zoning in on a good blade plus rubber combination.

For example, I had Nittaku Acoustic carbon with T05 fx FH and T64 fx BH. I hated that set-up. I stripped the rubber and put them on other blades (on the BH side). Then I replaced them with H3 neo FH and Xiom Vega Europe on the BH. Much much better! The ball does not fly off the bat like a rocket anymore.

So for my set-up, I use H3 neo on the FH and an ESN/Tenergy fx on the BH. In a way I already have a set up for everything I need. If I need to block more, it will be my ESN/Tenergy fx BH that takes most of the block. When I attack, I use H3 neo to generate spin. I don't see the need for different set-up's for different opponents.

Interesting,
The feeling of the ball flying out like shot from a canon is the reason I can’t not let Tenergy go. It’s just an awesome feeling.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Interesting,
The feeling of the ball flying out like shot from a canon is the reason I can’t not let Tenergy go. It’s just an awesome feeling.

Cheers
L-zr
Yes I know. Some people love the speed. Some people love the clicking sound that Tenergy makes. I don't like that sound at all. I like the sound that hurricane makes when I brush the ball.

I am still trying to figure out what to put on my backhand. Oddly enough, I have tried Rakza 7, Rakza 7 soft, Rakza X, Rakza X soft, EL-S, MX-S, FX-P, Rasanter R47, T05 fx, T64 fx, G-1.....and the winner appears to be the good old Rakza 7 soft. Oh well, that's why Yasaka still makes that rubber I guess after 10+ years on the market.

And,
I don’t give a hoot about the sound, and I only use Rakza 7 soft to tame a super fast blade and to get the weight down but not so much anymore.

I do still like Rakza 7 normal however.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
And,
I don’t give a hoot about the sound, and I only use Rakza 7 soft to tame a super fast blade and to get the weight down but not so much anymore.

I do still like Rakza 7 normal however.

Cheers
L-zr
Lol, I am using Xiom Vega Europe to tame my very fast Acoustic carbon down. So far so good!

Reactions: Lazer
Lol, I am using Xiom Vega Europe to tame my very fast Acoustic carbon down. So far so good!

I have some of those sheets too, but no time to test them… Maybe a little too soft.
What I have found is that to tame a super fast blade:

Super slow: Mark V
Little faster: Mark V HPS (super light as well)
Faster still: Rakza 7 soft
Even faster: Rakza 7 normal

Don’t dismiss Mark V in this context. It has a great topsheet, ( the sponge not so much ). My Primorac carbon with Mark V HPS is lethal… But I like the feel of a softer blade better…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have some of those sheets too, but no time to test them… Maybe a little too soft.
What I have found is that to tame a super fast blade:

Super slow: Mark V
Little faster: Mark V HPS (super light as well)
Faster still: Rakza 7 soft
Even faster: Rakza 7 normal

Don’t dismiss Mark V in this context. It has a great topsheet, ( the sponge not so much ). My Primorac carbon with Mark V HPS is lethal… But I like the feel of a softer blade better…

Cheers
L-zr
Mark V's topsheet just would not die. It could look like new even after a year of playing.

I think Rakza 7 soft is fast enough for me on a fast blade. I will probably stop right there!

Reactions: Lazer
Mark V's topsheet just would not die. It could look like new even after a year of playing.

I think Rakza 7 soft is fast enough for me on a fast blade. I will probably stop right there!

Yes but it is super soft and mushy, So now I actually like Mark V HPS better, but it’s expensive… and sometimes a bit too slow.

Cheers
L-zr