Easy point against pimples player

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You need to continually adjust how you play against all opponents. When you try and make this game mechanical as though the person on the other side is not human, intelligent and able to adapt their choices and responses, your game will become predictable enough for your opponent to capitalize on your lack of spontaneity and give you problems. Part of the sport and the game is adapting to the balls that come to you.

There are no easy, one size fits all answers. Play and keep open to learning. That is one of NextLevel's true skills. Constant analysis to learn how to keep improving despite some real limitations in his joints.

Sent from MountOlympus via Hermes'Caduceus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Indeed table tennis is a sport we have to use our brain :) hahaha

Every single ball must be analyzed to find out the right answer, like your story with different type of top-spin for different types of balls.

I used to play like this (200% power on every attack hahahaha ranking me at 1400) after a 10years break, I came back much more relaxed and with the ability of doing variations, so secure much more points, in 2 years of training I've over taken my previous ranking by 400pts.

Just by being relaxed and by sorting every balls to adapt my reply.

Advices everybody gives to play against pimples are for certain type of play. I recently played a pimple player ranked around 2100, well . . . his guy was adapting amazingly to all my tries.
After the 1st set for me, he just took the mach in hands, getting the lead on the tactical side and of course on the final result. He just stopped defending, all with of mix of counter attack, and make me work in depth, and avoiding me to use power shots. . .

Just great! completely exhausted! forced to congratulate him, he just gave me no hopes hahahaha. May be I couldn't will with easy point (to come back on the subject title ;) )

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NextLevel said:
Pips (and I mean long pips) players are all different, you have to play them a lot to get used to reading the ball and the stroke.

Very True

NextLevel said:
For easy points, the only thing I know for sure is if you have heavy backspin serve, flat/no-spin serve and decent topspin serve that look similar.

ABOSLUTELY

NextLevel said:
Because pips react to spin, it's just that it is easier because they can make swipe or chop returns on heavy sidespin and give it back to you if they can read the ball easily.

But if they think your heavy backspin is no-spin, they will push it into the net. You can get one free point per game with with this serve because after, they will be looking for it. So you have to be ready to attack the topspin return after this.

You can get one, two, three or four free points as mush as you are as good at doing what NL said in Prior quote about all your serves looking the same. You don't HAVE to attack their punch of your underspin serve, you can also fast block it away from them or into them.

NextLevel said:
Most serves should be no spin, because when you serve no spin to pips, you will get no spin back, then you can attack with your loop vs no-spin ball stroke and begin the point from there.

The problem I see with doing this same dead serve is unless you can KEEP ON selling the pips player his own underwear EVERY serve, he or she is gunna get used to your dead serve and will receive it well suddenly and make you uncomfortable. You should serve with a plan. Mix up serves and make them all look alike, and have a way to know the likelihood of possible returns and be ready. The knuckleball serve is EXCELLENT is setup after you establish you can make HEAVY underspin - enough to make them put it into the net and be wary. You got them worried about that, the short tight dead low serve and the short topspin serve suddenly become tools to setup easy finishes or free points from a miss. Success on these short serves also open up the door to success of sudden deep serves. There is nothing a pips player hates than facing a player who can serve and keep them from using their pips to funk out the server. Such a serve totally takes away any advantage they had and demoralizes them.

The same things I consider when serving to inverted players also applies, but the possible returns are different.

NextLevel said:
Then once in a while, throw in a topspin serve which the person will popup unless they read it. They will usually chop it so the ball will come high, but you have to know how to attack your own spin or you may put it off the table or into the net.

I use this serve also, both a short version, and mostly a very fast and deep sudden one right to their pips, SOMETIMES, they pop it out, but often, they see it and can keep it on the table, yet this is often a long light to medium underspin ball very ripe for a powerloop finish to end the point, usually down the line to open FH corner, or a "Body Shot" to leave a 40mm+ hole somewhere.

The short and very low/tight underspin serve is your best friend once you establish you can make heavy under or tosppin, pips players receive this shot sometimes long/out, or give you a dead slow ball half depth or kind deep that sits up nicely and gives you all three lanes to loopkill.

NextLevel said:
You also have the option to play the other side of the table if the pip side is too strong. If the person is using pips all over the table, then test their transition with one shot/serve to the forehand and then the next shot to the backhand and so on or vice versa. It is hard to cover the table with one side of the racket.
It is good to do so for that reason, also good just to change it up and keep being unpredictable. Often, you should have a plan for what you do, random is nice, but ready random is better. Have a plan to deal with what you will get back from the opponent.

NextLevel said:
IF you have questions, let me know - I am not great vs pips, but I am not chopped liver - you need to be at my level as a pips player to beat me and that is all I ask for.

Next Level will be the next TTD memebr to operate the trapdoor to Carl's basement septic tank the next time the Goon Squad blindly enters another trap baited with National version of $5 OX LP topsheets.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Next Level will be the next TTD memebr to operate the trapdoor to Carl's basement septic tank the next time the Goon Squad blindly enters another trap baited with National version of $5 OX LP topsheets.

Hey, Der, I thought we were gonna keep it under wraps that, when we met on Sept 5th at NYISC, we had NextLevel set the trap and give the goon squad a whole new world of grief! He set a completely new trap that I never would have imagined. But Der and I got to watch and he set those guys up as good can be. But of course he would have those skills. I mean....he's from Philly ain't 'e!

I can't reveal how he did it. But rest assured the goon squad was laid low and is still trying to get out of the sceptic tank.

But darn it, I thought we had another part of the plan that made us need to keep that a secret.

Oh, wait, you only said he'd be the next one. Not that he already did it. Darn! I did it again.

Sent from MountOlympus via Hermes'Caduceus

Last edited:
Pimple-Player here! Interestig that you are mentioning that you can make easy points on pimp players with serves. I mean one of the big advantages is that you are less sensitive to rotation with pumps. So if you give me a long serve I'm the happiest on earth and you get a shot from me when it is a empty/forward/side-spin serve. If it is a backspin maybe i chop it but most likely i will anyway go around for a long serve and you can take my spin instead. On short more slowly serves it is fairly easy to flip.. as mentioned receiving serves is an advantage of pimps. If you face a player that is always chopping short serves, do strong side-spin serves most likely they will be high enough to attack, also if the ball comes short. Ok lets come to the point what is really scary for pimps. When you attack on the pimps multiple times and you are variating your spin that it is more like a very spinless slow throw.. it is horrible for me. Im doing so many f*cking misstakes on it. A lot of pimp players tend to try to use the pimps everywhere, try to figure out that hole and use it against them (yes then perhaps with long fast serves). I think there is no certain weakspot honestly for pimp players, it is as always a matter of skill
Great job in explaining it @TT_Rogue! It's too one sided with all the pips in rubber user here, luckily we have you.

Thats what Ive been told before, varying the spin. And thats the trickiest part when playing against pimple.

Need lot of training with pimple player, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk