Gavin Rumgay's Serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The important ingredient in improving your service is to push the barriers.... missing lots of helps in practice will help too.... trying to create more spin is vital & to do that you need to increase and open up your racket angle. Initially this might mean fresh airing the ball but over time this will really help! Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The important ingredient in improving your service is to push the barriers.... missing lots of helps in practice will help too.... trying to create more spin is vital & to do that you need to increase and open up your racket angle. Initially this might mean fresh airing the ball but over time this will really help! Good luck!

Gavin, thanks for posting. We TTD members are greedier than that. We want the secret sauce to your serves so we can do the serves like you. Your topspin kick is ridiculous. I want *that* serve. Some of us would pay to see something like this from you:

This user has no status.
wow, looks like i was wrong. :D

in my experience the secret to a good serve is - there is no secret. just experiment and do lots and lots of practice. analyzing someone's serve can help, for instance you could watch a slo mo video of gavin serving and copy the starting and ending position of his bat. you need to watch slightly before and after contact though, pro players often mask their serves with unnecessary movement.

breaking someone's serve down in this way, i find is often even better than having them explain it to you.

Reactions: pgpg
says what [IMG]
When you mean open up, what do you mean?

Would a reverse pendulum at 45 degrees from the ground be "more closed" while a ghost serve parallel to the ground would be "more open"?

This user has no status.
When you mean open up, what do you mean?

Would a reverse pendulum at 45 degrees from the ground be "more closed" while a ghost serve parallel to the ground would be "more open"?

definitely parallel to the ground if you want to put more spin