Grip tape

NDH

says Spin to win!
I don’t like it really, i prefer original design of a handles, and a wood feeling in hand - over the taping story
There really is nothing quite like a good bit of wood in your hands......

Immaturity aside, it's a personal preference.

I personally dislike it - It gives a very muted feeling when playing, and I find the disadvantages (lack of feel, weight distribution), outweigh any potential advantages (grip, possibly a more comfortable hold).

The good thing is, you can try it and remove it very easily if you don't like it - It's one of the cheaper experiments when it comes to TT!

Reactions: matt243385
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
There really is nothing quite like a good bit of wood in your hands......

Immaturity aside, it's a personal preference.

I personally dislike it - It gives a very muted feeling when playing, and I find the disadvantages (lack of feel, weight distribution), outweigh any potential advantages (grip, possibly a more comfortable hold).

The good thing is, you can try it and remove it very easily if you don't like it - It's one of the cheaper experiments when it comes to TT!
Why do we EJIng sometimes? For curiosity, new design and that special after hitting feeling that blades provides.
But some people really didn’t bother about such things, they more likely to weight balance of their blade, or a thickness of a handle. So why not to try, if you really about that stuff more than other things

Reactions: matt243385
interesting, have you considered directly buying a blade with a larger handle?
I've noticed I do this with all blades I buy/try, no matter what handle shape/size. Just personal preference and what I'm used to I guess. I've tried removing it, but after a few sessions I put it back on again, because it feels more familiar and "safe".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I've been using grip tape the past few months, and I'm thinking that I don't really like it. It doesn't impact feel too much for me, I just don't particularly like the feel of grip tape. I guess you could say that I like the feel of the balls but really prefer to feel the wood too 😂

I use grip tape to help make the racket less head heavy, as my 968 is a pretty head heavy set up. I think I'll just tape some wires to the end of the handle like I used to, that'll work better than grip tape.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Depends on the grip tape, the only one I find that’s worth using is the Butterfly Dry Fit tape, it’s very thin yet adds enough grip, and it’s fabric based, so it doesn’t have a rubbery squishy feel in the hands that many people hate. The downside of this tape is also because it’s fabric based, it doesn’t stick to itself too well, so you might have to get some double sided tape to re stick it every once in a while.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
is it not the part closest to the blade where we get most of the feeling ???

I always thought the thumb and forefinger are providing the vast majority of the feeling of the blade. Those parts aren't covered by grip tape in any scenario.

I have grip tape on my Acoustic (partly because of size and partly because of sweat issues playing in hot and humid Vietnam).

I guess I might try going bare wood and rubber less (hehe) for a bit. I thought I needed more girth on the handle when I just started and was gripping too hard. But now I have a loose grip due to better technique.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I always thought the thumb and forefinger are providing the vast majority of the feeling of the blade. Those parts aren't covered by grip tape in any scenario.

I have grip tape on my Acoustic (partly because of size and partly because of sweat issues playing in hot and humid Vietnam).

I guess I might try going bare wood and rubber less (hehe) for a bit. I thought I needed more girth on the handle when I just started and was gripping too hard. But now I have a loose grip due to better technique.
A good compromise could always be to pull a condom over the handle, the ribbed version.

• Haha
Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Long ago I bought a tube of a rubber band like material that was 100 mm long. It fit over the handle of my Samsonov Alphas of which I thought the handles were too narrow for my hands. I have two Samsonov Alphas and two of these rubber tubes that go over the handle to make the grip wider in diameter and more secure.
Samsonov Alphas aren't made anymore. They were rates as being great looping paddles but their heads were small so that any rubber cut for a Samsonov Alpha wouln't fit on a normal blade. This is unlike Butterfly that uses the same head size for many of its blades so that rubbers can be transferred between them.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Some guys I play with just wrap a rubber band around near the base of the handle, for security. I used to do the same thing but with a bit of the thin tennis overgrip, I would avoid the tape and use super glue to make a single layered wrap around where my pinky would rest, this would avoid the bulky/sticky feeling of having a full wrap but would give me nearly as much gripping benefits from the grip wrap itself.