H3N prob BS 39 v 40 v 41 how do they play differently?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi H3N users.

Quick question I have been using H3N prov BS 39 for while but curious how the 40 and 41 differ? Other than the obvious hardness difference how does the playing characteristics differ?

Is there an advantage of one over another does one excell bit better than another in a particular aspect?

FYI I boost with 2 layers of seamoon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Higher degree = smaller pores in sponge= more booster needed

Unboosted, lower degree feels more lively and easier to play.

Higher degrees = more weight

Higher degrees = more spin and speed potential
In my testing experience, I have found that 40d has the best reaction to booster.

I originally thought that with 41d, just adding more and more layers of booster would overcome the extra hardness. But it feels to me that 40d just has a stronger reaction to booster, and 41d stops responding to booster after 3 layers. The additional layers don't make it more lively.

Am I wrong?

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In my testing experience, I have found that 40d has the best reaction to booster.

I originally thought that with 41d, just adding more and more layers of booster would overcome the extra hardness. But it feels to me that 40d just has a stronger reaction to booster, and 41d stops responding to booster after 3 layers. The additional layers don't make it more lively.

Am I wrong?

Interesting to know. I've not done a comparison test.

I've also heard that the national H3 weighs less for the same degree = you can boost more without breaking your wrist. But I haven't verified this claim

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi H3N users.

Quick question I have been using H3N prov BS 39 for while but curious how the 40 and 41 differ? Other than the obvious hardness difference how does the playing characteristics differ?

Is there an advantage of one over another does one excell bit better than another in a particular aspect?

FYI I boost with 2 layers of seamoon.
41 or higher is for really skilled professionals who have both the skill and power to use it.
41 would have a lot more spin and power/speed than 39
39 would be way too soft, even 40 would be too soft for a lot of professional mens players on the FH.
For professionals they tend to seek harder the better for the FH rubber, and that includes those Butterfly sponsored pro players too.

says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
after proper boosting (I don't know if you know how to do that)

41 degree have the best kick and best power
40 pretty quick and good power too but 41 just better
39 meh.... it tops out at my level too when I hit hard (usatt 2100)

that said the boosting effect on 40 seems to last longer, the 41 degree after a week or two will feel very hard and dead.

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
after proper boosting (I don't know if you know how to do that)

41 degree have the best kick and best power
40 pretty quick and good power too but 41 just better
39 meh.... it tops out at my level too when I hit hard (usatt 2100)

that said the boosting effect on 40 seems to last longer, the 41 degree after a week or two will feel very hard and dead.
This seems mostly consistent with my experience. I've used 39d in the past, and it was pretty good, but just a bit soft and slightly mushy.

I'm using H3 41d right now, and its quite good all around. But I just find that it doesn't have as much catapult with booster as I might like.

H3 40d I find is kinda the sweet spot for me, it's not mushy as 39d, but it has more catapult than 41d.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Does that apply to orange sponge too?

I only have one sheet of 40 degree commercial orange sponge. I like it. I have only played 39 degree before so I am still getting used to 40 degree right now.
Yes.

Btw i also have a orange H3 37d on blade now. Its pretty comfortable rubber to use.

Reactions: ben1229 and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Higher degree = smaller pores in sponge= more booster needed

Unboosted, lower degree feels more lively and easier to play.

Higher degrees = more weight

Higher degrees = more spin and speed potential
I understand the harder 40/41 would provide more speed than 39 but how would they provide more spin with the same top sheet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I understand the harder 40/41 would provide more speed than 39 but how would they provide more spin with the same top sheet?

One can hit even harder before bottoming out the rubber...

For me the harder H3 (40° and more) are better for blocking than the softer ones but the softer (40° and less) ones are better for looping. Especially during winter when some ... try to save some money by not properly heating our venues I'm going down to 38° or even 37° on my FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
One can hit even harder before bottoming out the rubber...

For me the harder H3 (40° and more) are better for blocking than the softer ones but the softer (40° and less) ones are better for looping. Especially during winter when some ... try to save some money by not properly heating our venues I'm going down to 38° or even 37° on my FH.

You're not making it easy for the OP ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The user's ability to generate extra spin from the ball gripping deeply into the harder sponge, whereas the softer one can't grip deeply enough due to the softness (a weaker grip)

This is why H3 users - when skilled correctly, uses both topsheet and sponge and not only topsheet, and this is what makes H3 more powerful for the FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
If you hit harder and close the bat angle enough, you engage the stiff top sheet together with this harder sponge making you get a more direct effect. I mean that the ball leaves the rubber faster when you have a harder sponge. With a softer sponge you don't get that immediate effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
If you hit harder and close the bat angle enough, you engage the stiff top sheet together with this harder sponge making you get a more direct effect. I mean that the ball leaves the rubber faster when you have a harder sponge. With a softer sponge you don't get that immediate effect.
May have to give 40 a go. I had 4 sheets of 39 delivered only few wks ago and I should have got a 40 to test. Mayb in near future I’m just tearing my new FZDALC at moment compared to my LGY so I shouldn’t really test too many variables yet by adding 40d H3N in the mix considering it’s league season and comps coming up.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
40/41 provides more spin POTENTIAL

You can only access that potential if you can drive it with the right technique and strength

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
May have to give 40 a go. I had 4 sheets of 39 delivered only few wks ago and I should have got a 40 to test. Mayb in near future I’m just tearing my new FZDALC at moment compared to my LGY so I shouldn’t really test too many variables yet by adding 40d H3N in the mix considering it’s league season and comps coming up.
40 is ideal if you are coming from 39
41 and higher would be more difficult to use
Most people settle with 40

says what [IMG]
The user's ability to generate extra spin from the ball gripping deeply into the harder sponge, whereas the softer one can't grip deeply enough due to the softness (a weaker grip)
That doesn't make sense; the softer sponge will compress sooner/more. The reaction force will just be lower on the rebound.

Reactions: Robin0910