Hardbat v sandwich or David vs Goliath

says Aging is a killer
Here's an interesting matchup. Martin Gunn, massively built at 6'4" and over 240llbs. He's a full-time hardbat player and here he's tested against 12yo Louis Price, 4'6" with a normal fast sandwich bat. Martin is an old top junior and active on the veterans scene while Louis is an upcoming England cadet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Martin is not only an awkward hard bat player but an exceedingly good player in his own right. He is rated in the top 100 in the UK and Louis is around 250. Fantastic win for Louis and an interesting contest. Thanks for sharing Tiny

This user has no status.
Martin is not only an awkward hard bat player but an exceedingly good player in his own right. He is rated in the top 100 in the UK and Louis is around 250. Fantastic win for Louis and an interesting contest. Thanks for sharing Tiny

Martin is currently ranked 147 and Louis is at 339 according to the UK ratings.

Great match to watch and a good win! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.

Like in there are only 146 player better than him right now in UK ? . No offense but this seems a little odd to me. Just yesterday I travelled more than an hour to watch Liam Pitchford (and other players), the difference should be alot more than this

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012

The new ranking lists are out. Ranking includes only English players, the rating list includes all players playing in England. Martin is 94 and Louis is now 288 in rankings, but slightly higher in the ratings as you say.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Like in there are only 146 player better than him right now in UK ? . No offense but this seems a little odd to me. Just yesterday I travelled more than an hour to watch Liam Pitchford (and other players), the difference should be alot more than this

You are massively underestimating Martin's ability and awkwardness. Because of the bat and Martin's skill, it would appear that their level is lower than it actually is. Have a look here and search on google for some videos of other players playing an inverted rubber game that are ranked around 100 https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/rankings/senior-men/245/

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Here's an interesting matchup. Martin Gunn, massively built at 6'4" and over 240llbs. He's a full-time hardbat player and here he's tested against 12yo Louis Price, 4'6" with a normal fast sandwich bat. Martin is an old top junior and active on the veterans scene while Louis is an upcoming England cadet.

Impressive! Well played! From Louis as well as from Martin!

I believe Louis doesn't loose a lot against other players of his age group.
No. 288(!!!)
That's really great!
Hopefully he'll stick to tabletennis.

Best thing would be to keep him tied to a table until he's 23 or 24. Just jokin'...
[Emoji12]
Nice!