Have you used a robot?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I was at a Chinese table tennis training center/club, and the teachers actually said that it wasn't that good to train using the robot. At least the one that they had at the club shot balls too fast, and therefore for all but the top players, it made it so fast that it ruined your form and actually was a detriment to training.

slow it down then..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hmm, many coaches will and players will say robots aren't good or that they've never trained on one, ever. I'd say yeah, robots probably aren't nearly as good practice partners as real good quality practice buddies or coaches, but hey, sometimes they're all you got. :p A robot is surely better than nothing, as long as you know how to use... and it's programmable... and not what the guy above said.

I mean I did specify that it was only for the particular robot that they had at the club. The good robots are programmable, yes, but those tend to be pretty expensive, and out of the price range of your normal play for fun player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Yup, I used my club advisor bought a robot for my school table tennis club for 800 dollars. I used it a couple of times, and they can get tiring. However I think that robots are a great way to train to become faster, and to perfect your strokes

says Thanks Dan, Posting of threads understood. :)
says Thanks Dan, Posting of threads understood. :)
Nov 2010
Hi d3mOn14k,
I believe the 2050 has got a programming option of random, which makes it more like playing a human as far as anticipation is concerned. I agree that reading the players intentions will not be possible with a robot. Also, you won't be able to work on specific combination of your own strokes strategies.
Regards
DD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I mean I did specify that it was only for the particular robot that they had at the club. The good robots are programmable, yes, but those tend to be pretty expensive, and out of the price range of your normal play for fun player.

No no no, I didn't mean to say you didn't know what to do. I meant unless they only had access to a ****ty robot like the one you described. :D:D:D Didn't mean to insult you, just the robot. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hey,

Where in the US do you play at? I watched the videos you put up, and it looked like you were pretty good, and the players you played seemed pretty good also.

I have been trying to start a club at my college that actually travels around the area playing other schools.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
@scylla24: Long as you promise not to stalk me, ;), this tournament was in Austin, TX. Most of the players are from Austin, Houston, Dallas Forth Worth, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi... basically all around Texas.

I also play for UT Austin, our womens team made 5th in the nation this year. Got upset by Western Ontario. > .>

Also! A suggestion, next time you ask me a question, post it in that thread so my thread can get *bump*ed. :D:D And I'll be more likely to see it. o_O

How bout you? Where you at, and what college you thinking of starting that club up at? Feel free to answer me in my thread. ;)

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...-Videos-of-me-(JyeChen)-at-a-USATT-Tournament

Also, dunno if you saw this one, but this thread had the matches of the "really good, keyword: local" players:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?762-Austin-TT-Winter-Open-2011

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I was at a Chinese table tennis training center/club, and the teachers actually said that it wasn't that good to train using the robot. At least the one that they had at the club shot balls too fast, and therefore for all but the top players, it made it so fast that it ruined your form and actually was a detriment to training.
I am surprised at this as most robots you can change the speed, direction and have very good spin so to me it sounds as if wherever this was, they gave out the wrong information or whatever. I therefore completely agree with what 'jyechen' says.