How 2023 🏓 is going so far

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Hey TTD people,

I began 2022 training hard on my RPB.
In 2023 even harder.
I'm learning to relax more, make acceleration and use the wrist wisely. I have a lot of room to keep improving but I'm happy with the results so far. I uploaded a short video from the last training "yesterday" with Coach Stellan.
Consistency is King.

SHARE YOUR GOALS FOR 2023

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi Victor!

Happy New Year to you.

How is my new year? My TT still suxs and no where near Fan Zhendong level, not even 1% me thinks. But as any respectable amateur player be, I shall assign blame to my rubbers. Yes, it is always the fault of the rubbers.

Oh! 02.02.23 is coming and I heard that Lazada is having sales! Woo Hoo!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I'm practicing hard too! My BH is starting from pretty much zero, but the past few months I bought a new house, and with it a 3 car garage that I've filled with a new table and a robot! I'm a night owl so that works better for me, and over time probably cheaper, than working with a coach. It does take a lot of recording and figuring out my technique deficiencies, including asking questions here when I can't figure something out. Hard to beat free coaching ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi Victor, Can you do a video about all the different serves you use in matches? I notice you win a lot of points just from your serve.

I think I don't have enough repertoire of serves to use, so I need to learn a few new serves or make my existing serves better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So far, not good. When you get older your practice partners or you can't always play. Also, sometimes you get bouts of "ISuckAtThisItis". I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes it hurt to raise my left hand ( can't serve ), type or drive without pain unless made "comfortably numb".
Also any rapid motion causes my head to apply strain on my neck. My motion is not as good now because motion hurts. I am taking pain killers but I wonder how they adversely affect my responses. There are other drugs that I know screw up my muscles.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
So far, not good. When you get older your practice partners or you can't always play. Also, sometimes you get bouts of "ISuckAtThisItis". I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes it hurt to raise my left hand ( can't serve ), type or drive without pain unless made "comfortably numb".
Also any rapid motion causes my head to apply strain on my neck. My motion is not as good now because motion hurts. I am taking pain killers but I wonder how they adversely affect my responses. There are other drugs that I know screw up my muscles.
Hi @brokenball I have a friend player with similar pain, and He's getting better with a Chiropractor.
Did you try something like that?. I hate to play with any pain, because is like to play with "BRAKES"
My best wishes to you and get better.

Last edited:
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Hi Victor, Can you do a video about all the different serves you use in matches? I notice you win a lot of points just from your serve.

I think I don't have enough repertoire of serves to use, so I need to learn a few new serves or make my existing serves better.
Well, I can make a basic video about serves. But I'm not going to share what kind of serves I use in matches.
I don't want to prepare any player against my weapons XD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Well, I can make a basic video about serves. But I'm not going to share what kind of serves I use in matches.
I don't want to prepare any player against my weapons XD
Well even just in writing, I need some ideas or inspiration for what serves to use. Maybe I'll write the serves I use now and maybe you can offer some suggestions.

1. My main serve is a heavy underspin serve, I typically do this long and low.
1b. I basically do the same serve but as a dead-ball no-spin serve.

2. Pendulum side-under. I typically do this long and wide.
2b. Pendulum side-topspin
2c. pendulum no-spin dead serve

Actually those are pretty much all the serves I have. I have been experimenting with a tomahawk serve. It seems fairly good, but it's always side-under. I can't get it to be a topspin serve. So, its basically just completely predictable.

Also have been experimenting with backhand side-under and backhand side-topspin serve. Both are so-so in quality, but I never use these in game because they can't get as much spin as the pendulum serve.

I have been experimenting with reverse pendulum serve. But I also cannot put enough strength on this serve to get spin. Also, it seems my reverse pendulum is always topspin, I can't seem to get it underspin

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
So far, this year has been a slow burner as far as match results are concerned.
played 12 singles (4 matches for 3 different clubs in 3 leagues!!) won 5 lost 7. 41.6% win rate.
This week has been particularly frustrating, played 6 singles, won 1 lost 5. played a couple of stronger players, should have done better.

As far as coaching is concerned, I coach twice a week for 2hrs each session.
No time left to get a coaching session in where I am being coached. This is an issue as I need to be coached!!!
The good side of coaching is some of the juniors are improving pretty quickly, it’s great to see them play and do what I would like to do myself!! Move properly, play consistently!!! technique is improving on a weekly basis!!

When I am coaching it’s usually with beginner level juniors, and when I do get paired with some good players (usually the 2nd hour of the session is more for ‘better’ players) I’m feeding or blocking mainly!!!
This can have a negative effect on match play, as you can go into ‘coach’ mode and play passively, blocking when you should be looping and attacking!!! Then when you do get in offensive mode you’re not sharp!!

Last year I made a point of getting in some coaching sessions with Tom Lodziak, this really helped and match performance was improving until injury struck, when you‘re getting on age wise (I’m 56yrs old) you still think you are 18!!! I was playing too much, on average per week, 2 (or 3) matches 2 coaching sessions, and every other week a 2hr session being coached by Tom. It was too much and a knee injury kept me out for 6 months :mad:

This season I tried to only play for 2 clubs and then limiting the number of matches per week. This didn’t go to plan!!! Other players dropping out and reducing the numbers of players available and since COVID there has generally been a drop in the numbers of people playing, this has meant some clubs have been struggling to get teams out.
So I ended up playing for 3 clubs, but I have managed things better, during the coaching sessions if my knees were feeling dodgy, I would stop feeding, and just watch and coach. Pick and choose matches, trying to avoid back to back matches and stressing the knees.

So far so good. The knees are holding up!! (Touch wood!!!)

Reactions: VictorMoraga
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Well even just in writing, I need some ideas or inspiration for what serves to use. Maybe I'll write the serves I use now and maybe you can offer some suggestions.

Actually those are pretty much all the serves I have. I have been experimenting with a tomahawk serve. It seems fairly good, but it's always side-under. I can't get it to be a topspin serve. So, its basically just completely predictable.

Also have been experimenting with backhand side-under and backhand side-topspin serve. Both are so-so in quality, but I never use these in game because they can't get as much spin as the pendulum serve.

I have been experimenting with reverse pendulum serve. But I also cannot put enough strength on this serve to get spin. Also, it seems my reverse pendulum is always topspin, I can't seem to get it underspin
Hi Michael,

1&1b what form of serve? not a pendulum, not a reverse pendulum, not a hook serve?????

Its definitely worth pursuing a serve with the opposite side spin to your pendulum serve.

The reverse Pendulum serve can be real deceptive!! Main thing is you need a strong flexible wrist action, but this can be said for all serves!!!
Difference between creating top side spin or back side spin can be quite small. Slight bat angle change, and impact timing Etc.
Usually when learning this serve, I find the majority of people find it easier to put top spin on the serve.
The pendulum is really from wrist to tip of the bat.
try a 45 degree bat angle, and just swing the bat using wrist.
when the wrist is folded right back and you start the swing, it moves downwards, so an early impact as it moves downwards creates side backspin.
impact when the tip is pointing at the table creates more side spin.
impact as the bat swings upwards gives you side topspin.
There are other ways of getting the different spins as well

Tomahawk serve, is not one of my serves, but a fellow coach uses it, and he feels it’s really good for putting side topspin on the ball when it’s being learnt!!! You must be cutting under the ball, try brushing the side or roll the bat over the ball more.

Video of you serving would help!!

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi Michael,

1&1b what form of serve? not a pendulum, not a reverse pendulum, not a hook serve?????

Its definitely worth pursuing a serve with the opposite side spin to your pendulum serve.

The reverse Pendulum serve can be real deceptive!! Main thing is you need a strong flexible wrist action, but this can be said for all serves!!!
Difference between creating top side spin or back side spin can be quite small. Slight bat angle change, and impact timing Etc.
Usually when learning this serve, I find the majority of people find it easier to put top spin on the serve.
The pendulum is really from wrist to tip of the bat.
try a 45 degree bat angle, and just swing the bat using wrist.
when the wrist is folded right back and you start the swing, it moves downwards, so an early impact as it moves downwards creates side backspin.
impact when the tip is pointing at the table creates more side spin.
impact as the bat swings upwards gives you side topspin.
There are other ways of getting the different spins as well

Tomahawk serve, is not one of my serves, but a fellow coach uses it, and he feels it’s really good for putting side topspin on the ball when it’s being learnt!!! You must be cutting under the ball, try brushing the side or roll the bat over the ball more.

Video of you serving would help!!
1 and 1b, maybe I don't know the correct terminology. It's the same motion as a pendulum serve, but I just slice directly under the ball with no sidespin at all. So it's right in the middle of a pendulum and hook serve.

I watch all the pros with reverse pendulum serve, and it obviously looks very effective. But it just seems like I don't have enough wrist strength to do it properly. I can't get nearly the same amount of spin as pendulum, so I don't know if its worth investing time to practice this serve.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

don't do it Victor

It may just be your opponents wanting to study you out haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

all you ever need is 2 serves, and then there are so many placements areas and power on the ball
that is over 2 dozens varieties

trick is to do each variety 1000 times

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
all you ever need is 2 serves, and then there are so many placements areas and power on the ball
that is over 2 dozens varieties

trick is to do each variety 1000 times
Fear not a man who practices ten techniques for a year but rather fear a man who practices one technique for ten years.

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
Fear not a man who practices ten techniques for a year but rather fear a man who practices one technique for ten years.
@TensorBackhand I like what @Tony's Table Tennis and @Gozo told you about the serve.
If you have 2 or 3 good serves, think about the placement. And most important part, your opponent.
I recalled a match in a Nationals where I tried too use my hardest spinny serves "Under - Under-Side - Side". But my opponent was ready for all of them, finally I changed to "Flat - No Spin" serves with good placement and they allowed me to win easier.
I know you want to improve your serves and that means to put hours of practice there. But in the match, you HAVE to learn/understand what you opponent like/dislike too. Maybe your ugliest serve will annoy him 😄.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
1 and 1b, maybe I don't know the correct terminology. It's the same motion as a pendulum serve, but I just slice directly under the ball with no sidespin at all. So it's right in the middle of a pendulum and hook serve.

I watch all the pros with reverse pendulum serve, and it obviously looks very effective. But it just seems like I don't have enough wrist strength to do it properly. I can't get nearly the same amount of spin as pendulum, so I don't know if its worth investing time to practice this serve.
As Tony said practice makes perfect!!
Regarding spin, the variation of spin, placement and pace is key, NOT being able to absolutely load the serve with real heavy spin!!! #17 Victors no spin!!
Sometimes less is more!!
Choose 1 form of serve action that puts right side spin on the ball (FH reverse Pendulum, FH hook, FH tomahawk, BH serve [for a righty]) and learn it, use it, maybe in practice games first.
If the receivers return is predictable thats half the battle won, you can prepare 3rd ball attack, and point construction much easier

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
end of last year I was chatting to a former top coach from China (he was a former Shandong champion during his playing days, and was the youngest "national level" coach in China during his coaching days)

we will talking about west/east training and how little west trains.
And when we talked about, some one with 10 years of TT behind him.

Then he said, but if that someone only has 1 hours a week playing time, then that 10 years is not even 3 months old for a semi pro training player (pros clock 150~200 hours a month)

I guess he has a very valid point.
of course, when we talk quanitity, we also need to talk quality too. You need both behind it.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
end of last year I was chatting to a former top coach from China (he was a former Shandong champion during his playing days, and was the youngest "national level" coach in China during his coaching days)

we will talking about west/east training and how little west trains.
And when we talked about, some one with 10 years of TT behind him.

Then he said, but if that someone only has 1 hours a week playing time, then that 10 years is not even 3 months old for a semi pro training player (pros clock 150~200 hours a month)

I guess he has a very valid point.
of course, when we talk quanitity, we also need to talk quality too. You need both behind it.
I was practicing / learning serves a lot during covid lockdown, maybe 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week, I had time on my hands!!! Now it’s WAY less, and it shows!!!
Yep I can still serve the various actions, but placement and spin variation ( can still do the basic spins, back/side, top/side, but control of the amount of spin, that’s another thing!!!) has suffered.
People just don’t realise how much time is really needed to practice properly if you really want to raise your standard to high levels and maintain that level!!!