How do you keep your blade handles clean?

says On a never ending EJ journey
says On a never ending EJ journey
Jun 2023
I hate how my lighter color blade handles always discolor with use due to sweat and dirt. My W968 handle has gone from a nice light blue to a dirty blue. I know some people have posted saying using lemon oil or Watco's oil. I've tried these things but they don't really work for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I've been considering sealing my handles too. Do you notice any change in the feel after doing so?
Nope, there is no difference in playing characteristics, weight or feel. The only small change I've noticed is the Revolution glue doesn't stick to a sealed blade. But I just use other glues and they work fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I think a handle should absorb sweat, if not it woud be uncomfortable. I put varnish on a cheap blade handle and it was not a very pleasant feeling. Feel sticky.

You can try it on a cheap blade to see if you like it. Once it's sealed there is no coming back, unless you sand the handle.
Varnish is designed not to absorb into the wood so it's got a coating on it. If you use sealer it penetrates the wood and doesn't leave a coating.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
I sealed a handle with some poly. I like it better after sealing.

The handle feels smoother. This is a personal preference. If you prefer a rougher texture, then don't seal it.

Reactions: turbozed
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I remember playing with two different handles that had something put on it to coat the surface and make it look nice. For me, I hated it. It made the handle feel slippery and when it was really hot and I was sweating, it really hated it.

But, I also agree with the IB66. I feel like the extra sweat and dirt shows that your blade has been through battles with you.

Now everyone can have different opinions. But I personally would not do anything to remove the hard earned sweat on my blade handle. :)