How much training and how to train to become a professional?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
yes, you need individual training. It may be that the players train in groups, but not all of them become professionals. Professionals become those who train individually. The coach has to support the player and train a lot 1 on 1
and I can tell you from experience, no professional goes to international stage without group training from the top 4 Asian countries.

Even today, the elite of the world trains in groups most of the time.
Coaches do not really do 1 on 1 with players. Maybe feeding multiball at most, but multiball is not 100% of the training. The players train with each other (hence group training)

I'm not sure how else to explain to you. If you haven't been inside a proper table tennis training center, I guess you will never understand

Reactions: Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
and I can tell you from experience, no professional goes to international stage without group training from the top 4 Asian countries.

Even today, the elite of the world trains in groups most of the time.
Coaches do not really do 1 on 1 with players. Maybe feeding multiball at most, but multiball is not 100% of the training. The players train with each other (hence group training)

I'm not sure how else to explain to you. If you haven't been inside a proper table tennis training center, I guess you will never understand
I know that group training is important and that many top players train intensively in groups.

But it's not enough to reach a top level. You also need individual training to reach the top. It is necessary for such a complex sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I know that group training is important and that many top players train intensively in groups.

But it's not enough to reach a top level. You also need individual training to reach the top. It is necessary for such a complex sport
Individual training is necessary but I think you underrate group training which is also very important. IMO if you train 30 hours a week, at most 5-6 hours should be 1 on 1 with a coach, the rest should be practicing and playing matches with other players in group, integrating what you train with the coach into real rallies/game. It’s so beneficial to be able to play with many styles, right hander, left hander, different serves, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

i'm not sure if you are being silly now or what
You ask your question in OP, and I answered
but now you are trying to teach me something that I know very well in terms of reaching top level, since I am in such environment.
I have answered, and if you feel it is not correct, then that is your problem.
I don't think any player can become a professional in the group. Almost all you need is private training and multiball
China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan is good enough of a benchmark in my opinion on how things work, and that consistent development of new and next generation is possible.
Many players become professional with majority group training backround

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
All the Top Players the have trained a lot individiual with their cochaes. Boll, Harimoto, Moregardh, Ovchtarov, Pucar.
So many of them.
China is differnt because they have so many players and opportunities

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
Individual training is necessary but I think you underrate group training which is also very important. IMO if you train 30 hours a week, at most 5-6 hours should be 1 on 1 with a coach, the rest should be practicing and playing matches with other players in group, integrating what you train with the coach into real rallies/game. It’s so beneficial to be able to play with many styles, right hander, left hander, different serves, etc.
Yes I know. But the point is, you have to do something differernt to reach the top Level. If you train in group like everyone. It will not work

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
You need both a large group of players and a good coach to guide you to reach your full potential. Showing up for group training without a coach or only playing 1 on 1 with a coach will end in disaster. If your technique is lacking then it is probably better to spend time with a coach to fix things because figuring them out on your own is not likely to happen. The CNT assigns individual coaches to their top players and these coaches work alone with the players everyday for part of the training time. The CNT is also big on switiching up practice partners for players to get used to lots of styles. You need both period.

Reactions: Aizen
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You need both a large group of players and a good coach to guide you to reach your full potential. Showing up for group training without a coach or only playing 1 on 1 with a coach will end in disaster.
The super knowledgeable guy already said, Boll, Harimoto, Moregardh, Ovchtarov, Pucar only had individual trainings with coaches (no group training)
sounds like a troll or someone who has never been inside a high tier training center.
I wonder what is the purpose of this thread, since he is not prepared to take in anything at all

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2024
The super knowledgeable guy already said, Boll, Harimoto, Moregardh, Ovchtarov, Pucar only had individual trainings with coaches (no group training)
sounds like a troll or someone who has never been inside a high tier training center.
I wonder what is the purpose of this thread, since he is not prepared to take in anything at all
No, what lightspin said was correct