How not to lose the level without training.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
Hello. My coach is on vacation for 2 month. I'm fell in love with TT and I don't want to lose my level to September - October. What can I do outdoor to train my physical conditions. I would be glad to get some of the exercises, especially for the footwork. Also I've got an idea to improve my tactical game. How could I do it? Like watching the pros' games and paying attention to the serve the player serves and his future actions.
I'm noob at tactics and combinations as I've played paying more attention to the technique but last month I tried to use some very simple combinations and I wondered how much easier the game became.
So, how to improve without playing TT?

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Hello. My coach is on vacation for 2 month. I'm fell in love with TT and I don't want to lose my level to September - October. What can I do outdoor to train my physical conditions. I would be glad to get some of the exercises, especially for the footwork. Also I've got an idea to improve my tactical game. How could I do it? Like watching the pros' games and paying attention to the serve the player serves and his future actions.
I'm noob at tactics and combinations as I've played paying more attention to the technique but last month I tried to use some very simple combinations and I wondered how much easier the game became.
Do you exclusively practice with a coach and don't know any other players?

If not you can practice with them, plenty of drills you can do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Watch more table tennis
watch it and make notes
understand how the point was lost/won - who lost it or who won it

Its good to rest your body, but then you need to overwork your mind

If no TT, then do physicals and stay fit

Last edited:
Reactions: Fnub
Jan 2023
Are you serious? Is that meant to be a sarcastic comment?
I can see why boxing would help, it requires very fast footwork and high level of fitness which I believe are very transferable to table tennis (and a lot of other sport). Whilst I am quite impressed about how realistic VR table tennis is based on my brief experience with it, I don't think I would recommend that over boxing or skipping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Good advice here already.
As far as improving your tactical & match sense studying the matches on YouTube and setting yourself to understand how the pros are constructing their points and how they control their emotions under pressure is very useful.
I have been playing since '67 and was hungry for tactical knowledge even at that young age. Unfortunately there was no internet at that time so one had to rely on motion analysis still photos in Butterfly magazine. To supplement that I started to watch grand slam tennis on TV, so that over 50 years I have watched the finals of all the grand slam tennis tournaments available to me in that period. Even though its not TT, watching champs like Laver, Rosewall, through to Alcatraz fighting for titles enables one to learn so much about fighting under pressure.
Also thinking about the practical difference between TT and Lawn Tennis - in Tennis the players play ON THE Court whereas in TT the players are always behind the table which affects how lobbing works. If you are a natural TT Nerd its all worth a look
Zhang Yining the chinese lady no 1 a few years ago was able to beat some quite useful western males. Study of how that was possible is quite interesting.
In other words, if you are a self starter in studying for yourself there are a lot of things that repay some effort
good luck

Reactions: Fnub
Nov 2022
Do you exclusively practice with a coach and don't know any other players?

If not you can practice with them, plenty of drills you can do.
I still go to the local tournaments and practice with other players a bit but my question was about how to improve except playing TT. Of course playing TT is the best way to improve TT skills but these time I want to take a rest