Idea for training serve receive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I recently got an idea on how to practice serve receive and read spin.

You need two basketballs or medicine balls, one is put on the servers side and one is put on the receivers table.

I learned you always need to touch the same side of the ball as the receiver does, so when the "server" touches one side of the ball on his basketball, you touch the same spot on your basketball with your bat with a similar bat angle.

So for example inside spin side underspin pendulum serve you touch the bottom right side of your basketball and so on.

What do you think? I neither play at a high level, nor do I coach but I do have experience coaching baseball so I got this idea.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
You could also do it at home, putting a ball on your desk while watching serve videos:). Maybe slow motion first and then real speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
touch with hand yes - with expensive rubbers, no ways lol

this i think is okay
the left or right spin, is easy and your exercise can help

it is under or no/top spin that requires reading
You could use a cheap pre-made Walmart style of bat:)

Why is back or top harder to read than side spin? Doesn't the same principle apply (against underspin you try to hit the bottom below the ball and topspin hit more the top of the ball)?

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Why is back or top harder to read than side spin? Doesn't the same principle apply (against underspin you try to hit the bottom below the ball and topspin hit more the top of the ball)?
more than anything else detecting backspin or not determines whether you can attack easily with your receive. To some extent you can class topspin and sidespin as being easy to attack compared with backspin

This user has no status.

Sidespin is not as easy too, there's 2 types of sidespins, one brushed from the bottom of the ball and one brushed from the back, one has a huge curve and the other doesn't. And also ppl are varying the degree of sidespin too. With hook serves there's also serves with reverse sidespin so there's that.

The difficult part is accurately adjusting to each of these different spins on the fly.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Sidespin is not as easy too, there's 2 types of sidespins, one brushed from the bottom of the ball and one brushed from the back, one has a huge curve and the other doesn't. And also ppl are varying the degree of sidespin too. With hook serves there's also serves with reverse sidespin so there's that.

The difficult part is accurately adjusting to each of these different spins on the fly.
Isn't the sidespin brushed at the bottom actually more bullet spin (rotation axis horizontal and more back to front) than side spin (more vertical north to south axis)?

Kinda like an american football is rotating?

Reactions: blahness
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
touch with hand yes - with expensive rubbers, no ways lol

this i think is okay
the left or right spin, is easy and your exercise can help

it is under or no/top spin that requires reading
Yes yes yes. Agree! Top vs Back that is the one that always get to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea what you guys are talking about. 🤣🤣🤣

what's that bloody medicine ball supposed to do ????????
Basically learning to "mirror" the opponents bat angle based on his contact point with the ball?

This user has no status.
Isn't the sidespin brushed at the bottom actually more bullet spin (rotation axis horizontal and more back to front) than side spin (more vertical north to south axis)?

Kinda like an american football is rotating?
Not too sure about the exact terminology but they behave differently on the table and also has to be adjusted for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
This way you can get just the basic concepts. Everything is more complicated in the game. In addition to spin there is placement, speed and height of the ball. The ball can fly off the table, be short or semi-long, when it is difficult to determine whether it flies off the table or not. At low levels, it's enough to just get on the opponent's table. At high levels this is not enough. You need to not only get on the opponent’s table, but do it in a way that would complicate his further move, since a simple technique will give him the opportunity to immediately end the rally with the third ball. With basketballs, it is simply impossible to learn how to do all the technical elements when receiving serves and how to quickly and correctly use them according to the situation.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
The first method of receiving balls with rotation is towards the rotation, you indicated. But there are two more methods.
The second method is to hit the ball at the point where the axis of rotation of this ball is located. At this point there will be complete insensitivity to rotation. The difficulty of the method is that it is difficult to understand where the axis of rotation of the ball is. On practice this method works well against defenders who have heavy underspin. It is much easier to attack balls with heavy backspin using sidespin. Topspin hitting the top of the ball on a pure sidespin serve also works well.
And the third method is to simultaneously rotate the ball in the same direction but at a higher speed. This is just the classic story of a topspin attack against underspin.
So everything is far from so simple.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The first method of receiving balls with rotation is towards the rotation, you indicated. But there are two more methods.
The second method is to hit the ball at the point where the axis of rotation of this ball is located. At this point there will be complete insensitivity to rotation. The difficulty of the method is that it is difficult to understand where the axis of rotation of the ball is. On practice this method works well against defenders who have heavy underspin. It is much easier to attack balls with heavy backspin using sidespin. Topspin hitting the top of the ball on a pure sidespin serve also works well.
And the third method is to simultaneously rotate the ball in the same direction but at a higher speed. This is just the classic story of a topspin attack against underspin.
So everything is far from so simple.
Great post. My drill was more a suggestion for adult beginners or preteen kids learning to do basic dealing with spin serves.

Obviously it gets a lot more nuanced and complicated at higher levels where you not only face all kinds of spin mixes but also a varied amount of spin.

Reactions: Choosikick