Identification of the sponge is due and overdue.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
IDENTIFICATION OF THE SPONGE IS DUE AND OVERDUE.

To all evidence the whole matter is still unresolved. The rule 3.2.1.3 states that sandwich rubber must be an ITTF approved combination both of sponge and topsheet.
So far there is no practical way for umpire to know if the sponge underneath meets all ITTF standards, which makes the rule just a mockery. It is neither reasonable nor acceptable situation anyway.

It is hoped the proposal, that every factory sponge should be complemented with an ID label, should come in force by the end of the year 2025. Till then, any sponge whatsoever is admissible for sandwich combination.

Here is a proposal drafted by an international expert group of proficient table tennis umpires and referees.

3.2.1.3.1 (Draft)

--An identifying label of uniform pattern (единого образца) shall be mandatory for all sandwich coverings on the backside of sponge layer.

Be happy.

ID composition Draft (1).jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
What is the backside of the sponge layer? I mean how umpire can possibly read that label once glued?

Also, I guess this label will be a good excuse to charge 20€/sheet more!
exc of VAT/GST too lol

you don't pay, they just deduct off your earnings that they will never pay in the same quarter

• Haha
Reactions: Trevize84
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
"Here is a proposal drafted by an international expert group of proficient table tennis umpires and referees." = Igor + the maker of the portable LP friction tester + the person who made the metal ball sponge masher

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
seems reasonable, but is it even relevant?
Without professional vulcanization process I doubt the bond will result in a consistent rubber.
Also if a better sponge would be available, the manufacturer would just use that anyway.
I fail to see the point.

Of course, it's Igor's post so I should just take it with a grain of salt anyway lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It is hoped the proposal, that every factory sponge should be complemented with an ID label, should come in force by the end of the year 2025. Till then, any sponge whatsoever is admissible for sandwich combination.
I think igorponger has a point. The sponge and top sheet should be certified together.
Long ago, Pathfinderpro was trying to evaluate the effect of sponge thickness on the bounce/return of the ball. The problem is that he chose Chinese rubbers where the sponges where different from one thickness to the next.
I play a lot with Rakza 7. The sponges are the same regardless of the thickness. Obviously Rakza 7 soft has a different sponge.

Pathfinderpro's results were invalided because the sponge type varied by thickness. This is sad because Pathfinderpro put a lot of effort into testing the two different thicknesses of rubber. Back then I was in contact with Pathfinderpro. I could have sent him Rakza 7 1.8mm, 2mm and max for testing if he knew ahead of time the Chinese sponges were different.