improving slowly ,need a structured method in my training

This user has no status.
hi guys ,ok here's the deal ,i've been reading pretty much what you guys post concerning technique ,strategy ,footwork ,and the video posted on shadow playing,was really helpful ,anyways as the title says i've seen some good (not great) improvement so i need to come up with some kind of structured method for effective training (,not waste my time and energy and not improve )do you guys have something like this ? or any ideas ?do you have a different approach to practice?thanks for the help ,ill keep you posted!
P.S. does a(light) weight training program help?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
See https://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/training-secrets/ , they also have a 52 week training plan with examples on how to organize a training session: https://www.pingskills.com/table-tennis/training-plan/. They are behind paywall, but they contain all the necessary information about the training process.
Most decent quality training groups are organized the way they describe.

From my experience the biggest challenge is to find a practice partner disciplined enough to will follow a structured training plan.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Out of curiosity, what are your TT goals and can you quantify the improvement you've made so far?

I personally don't consider any form of training or playing TT a waste - I do it because I enjoy it. Probably could be more efficient/optimal, but I'm fine with it.

Having a partner and/or club nearby would help greatly - club might have a formal training program to begin with. Not sure it applies to your situation, apologies if you are in TT wilderness.

PingSkills does have a 52 wk program - you can also check out Larry Hodges site, he has plenty of tips on practice drills etc.

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/articles

This user has no status.
I'm unsure whether the above mentioned sites tackle the issue in a similar fashion or not, but something that I (so far) succeeded with is determining a clear goal (can be both short- and longterm) and working towards it with a schedule.

To give you an example, I'm participating in a tournament in mid September that I care a lot about and essentially have to win to not ruin my ego. I qualified for it around April, and created a schedule to prepare for it in the upcoming months starting from May until the end of August.

With four months to my avail, I decided to spend a majority of the time on what is probably the biggest cornerstone, which is footwork. I've had two entire months of heavy training with footwork multiball drills (2-2 for starters, 3-P Forehand and Falkenberg are probably my favourites) and all I can say is that it DOES pay off if you do it regularily. It's no use to play a drill once every second week. You gotta do it every single training session, and preferably practise atleast twice to three times a week.

After the footwork I decided to introduce a couple more realistic, close-to-match drills and work on my service, return, as well as opening up with loops and lastly moving from passive gameplay to becoming the aggressor and be more active. It makes a lot of sense to have these types of excersises closer towards match-day in your schedule, for obvious reasons.

Something that cannot be stressed enough is to keep at it with a regular pace. If you truly wanna become better, you might have to force yourself to go to your club and practise whatever drill you can't stand because it works on one of your weaknesses. And in case you cannot convince your usual training partners to stick around for drills because they just wanna play a bit you shouldn't hesitate to look around at other clubs and talk to higher ranked players whether they could give you a hand. In my experience it's easier to practise with better people than yourself not only because they are better than you, but because they are motivated and want to improve their game. Duh, that's why they're so good in the first place ;)

In conclusion I hope you got the rough idea of how you could approach your training if it is supposed to be efficient. The spark for the idea came from the german youth/cadet team, who practise in a very similar manner. However, they dedicate about as much time to Fitness and Health as to footwork, something that I skipped in the 4 months for now. That's the extra mile :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I'm unsure whether the above mentioned sites tackle the issue in a similar fashion or not, but something that I (so far) succeeded with is determining a clear goal (can be both short- and longterm) and working towards it with a schedule.

To give you an example, I'm participating in a tournament in mid September that I care a lot about and essentially have to win to not ruin my ego. I qualified for it around April, and created a schedule to prepare for it in the upcoming months starting from May until the end of August.

In one of your previous posts you mentioned your goal to reach ~2150 TTR, which translates into 2600+ USATT, more or less. What's your current level, if you don't mind sharing?

I suspect you have the benefit of pretty darn good club/coaching infrastructure in Germany - plenty of folks here don't have that luxury, that's why you see plenty of online training advice being offered. :(

This user has no status.
I didn't play throughout 2013-2015 and started training seriously in Jan '16 at ~1300 TTR, feeling like I've never held a racket before in my life. Currently I'm around 1500, so as mentioned in the other thread - 2150 could be considered ludicrous. But then again, jumping up in skill by just one league wouldn't be an ambitious long term goal, would it? ;)

While the overall infrastructure is definitely more than just decent, I personally don't benefit as much from it as I would like to. I myself benefit a lot from the advice given around here and other forums, and I'm glad that I can give the sport a shot now and not 20 years ago. Having training footage of pretty much any professional gives me a pretty good idea of what their schedule looks like, and in the case of the german youth squad I even found an entire timetable online. I think it was some prep schedule for a youth olympics, IIRC.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
thanks so much guys ,to answer PGPG ,you know my goal is to get better (a lot better)if it makes sense, i play 3 times a wk at the club and as i said i've been improving but very slow ,i am dedicated ,i put the time ,but like somebody said its hard to find a dedicated partner ,so i do what i can at the club and the rest of the training i do at home with the robot, but the way i see it my improvement has been kind of mechanical ,like for instance i have a good serve but more often than not my third ball attack is not as good or effective as i would want it to be, i lack confidence in my game ,ability,and maybe knowledge that i know i have ,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Like previously stated, it's important to get your footwork working correctly. Starting position, finishing position, transfering weight from one foot to another, shifting left and right.

Fixing bad habits on your arms is IMO easier to do than with your feet

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
thanks so much guys ,to answer PGPG ,you know my goal is to get better (a lot better)if it makes sense, i play 3 times a wk at the club and as i said i've been improving but very slow ,i am dedicated ,i put the time ,but like somebody said its hard to find a dedicated partner ,so i do what i can at the club and the rest of the training i do at home with the robot, but the way i see it my improvement has been kind of mechanical ,like for instance i have a good serve but more often than not my third ball attack is not as good or effective as i would want it to be, i lack confidence in my game ,ability,and maybe knowledge that i know i have ,

The golden rule on TableTennisDaily is to provide a video. Please do so, so we can give more accurate and better advice.

For me, quicker improvement requires a training partner who is willing to train with you regularly.

Work on one goal/drill every 15 to 30 minutes or so. The goal has to be specific though. For example, I would focus on forehand flipping down the line when my partner serves sidespin short cross court.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
thanks Ilia for the info ,ill check it out !

You are welcome. Another thing is to try to find coaching in your area. If it is not available, training camps can help. You cannot improve much during the week or two of hard training, but you can learn a lot of things that will implement in your daily practice later on. There are some very high quality camps in continental US.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
well there are some coaches at the club that i can approach ,also one of the guys i play with has a pretty good knowledge of coaching and we've worked on stuff before ,but i wanted to have a good foundation on what to start working on ,as Laistrogian said footwork should be one of the most important things to work on,i've heard of camps here so thats another thing to think about ,ill work on the video ,thanks guys i am pumped ,ready to start working,ill keep you guys posted!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
we've worked on stuff before ,but i wanted to have a good foundation on what to start working on ,as Laistrogian said footwork should be one of the most important things to work

IMHO it is better to start get coaching as early as possible before you develop "bad habits" that you will have to painfully overcome later on.

This user has no status.
IMHO it is better to start get coaching as early as possible before you develop "bad habits" that you will have to painfully overcome later on.

This x1000. If you have the opportunity to get a coach, get him as soon as possible. Not a single coach is going to frown upon you for not having a perfect technique as a foundation, after all it's their job to work on exactly that and develop it together with you. It's always better to get a second opinion and an outsider's perspective on your own gameplay to eliminate abovementioned bad habits or simply wrongdoings. Hence the tip with the camera as well, if you can afford it.

well there are some coaches at the club that i can approach ,also one of the guys i play with has a pretty good knowledge of coaching and we've worked on stuff before ,but i wanted to have a good foundation on what to start working on ,as Laistrogian said footwork should be one of the most important things to work on,i've heard of camps here so thats another thing to think about ,ill work on the video ,thanks guys i am pumped ,ready to start working,ill keep you guys posted!

As stated before, I believe the most effective way to improve is to have a coach. A very good exercise to build a solid technical foundation is to have your coach to do multiballs for you, this could give you a rapid response to you 3rd ball problem. For a less expensive and slow approach, sign at one of this online courses as Ilia Minkin told before. I would also recommend pingskills, ttedge and tabletennisuniversity (for its weekly program). It also would be interesting that you record your strokes for an auto analysis.

As for the light weight trainning, it help you to improve your power and resistence of the muscles that support your movements.