Integrating ChatGPT with a Table tennis robot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There has been an AI craze lately and it is over hyped. These new AI programs aren't naturally intelligent. They must be trained. I know, my company makes a machine that scans potato strips ( not fried yet ) and cuts out defects. The 'AI' part of this program had to be trained to recognize what skin and rot are so they can be cut out. This training part took a lot of time. Hundreds of potatoes with defects had to be cut up and run through the machine and then the machine was "graded" or "taught". Basically this is called "classification". It is similar to examples you see on the internet where the AI can tell the difference between numbers or the difference between a dog and a cat. The AI's intelligence does just magically happen.

One would need a LOT of processing power to process balls, people and paddles in motion. We used a 64 core AMD thread ripper and it still took days to analyze all the data or to update the AI.

For table tennis one would need to train the TT AI by looking a videos of top players. The AI would need to break down the video into joints or "pose". Then there is the paddle which is really most important and the different conditions depending of the different spins, speeds and angles. This will take a while. Training a TT AI is not like training a chess AI where the chess AI can be told to play with itself and learn how to play excellent chess in 4 hours. Chess has fewer variables.

So who is going to train the AI? There is no money in it. This forum has paid little attention to Palguay's videos or mine or going back even further, Pathfinderpro's.

Finally, there are creators and users. Who is going to be creators for TT when there are other topics that are so much more important medicine or analyzing market or economic data. Another problem I have mentioned before. What is optimal? People can't agree. Who is doing the training will affect the AI.

This user has no status.
I think it is a good idea. For me interfacing with the machine while playing always felt clunky. So just if you could say "give me 10 spins to forehand" or speed up the frequency to x/s" without the need to touch the control panel would be a nice feature.

Am curious though how you interface with ChatGPT as it gives generative answers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Chat GPT is a generative AI implementation of large language models, integrating it with the robot may give you answers like the following I typed into it a while back :) .. its not a model that will make your robot play smarter as you might be thinking ...

how to improve my table tennis serve receive ?

Improving your table tennis serve receive can greatly enhance your overall game. Here are some tips to help you enhance your table tennis serve receive:

1. Study your opponent: Observe your opponent's serving style, spin variations, and placement tendencies. Understanding their patterns will give you an advantage in anticipating and reading their serves.

2. Footwork and positioning: Maintain a balanced and ready position with your feet shoulder-width apart. Stay on the balls of your feet, allowing quick movement in any direction. Position yourself in a way that optimizes your reach to cover a wider range of serves.

3. Watch the ball closely: Focus on the server's contact point with the ball and track the ball's flight path. Keep your eyes on the ball throughout its trajectory to accurately judge the spin and speed.

4. Anticipate the serve: Based on your observations of your opponent, anticipate the type of serve they might deliver. This will help you prepare your racket angle and positioning beforehand, making it easier to react to the serve effectively.

5. Master the short game: Develop a reliable short receive technique, as it allows you to gain control and set up your attacks. Practice short pushes, flicks, and drop shots to keep the ball low and close to the net, making it difficult for your opponent to attack.

6. Adapt your racket angle: Adjust your racket angle to match the spin on the ball. For backspin serves, angle the racket upward slightly, and for topspin serves, angle it downward. By correctly reading the spin and adjusting your racket angle, you can neutralize the spin and control the ball better.

7. Work on your touch and timing: Develop a sensitive touch to read the incoming spin and adjust your stroke accordingly. Regular practice and drills will help improve your timing and enhance your ability to respond effectively to different serves.

8. Vary your receive techniques: Use a variety of receive techniques, such as short pushes, flicks, long pushes, or topspin loops, to keep your opponent guessing and prevent them from establishing a consistent serving rhythm.

9. Practice with different opponents: Seek opportunities to practice with players of varying skill levels and playing styles. This will expose you to different serves and spins, improving your ability to adapt and react in real-game situations.

10. Analyze and learn from your mistakes: Review your matches and identify areas where your serve receive can be improved. Work on those specific aspects during practice sessions and continuously seek feedback from coaches or experienced players.

Remember, consistent practice, patience, and focus are key to improving your table tennis serve receive. By incorporating these tips into your training routine, you'll gradually enhance your skills and become more confident in handling various serves.

Reactions: OvrChkn
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
There has been an AI craze lately and it is over hyped. These new AI programs aren't naturally intelligent. They must be trained. I know, my company makes a machine that scans potato strips ( not fried yet ) and cuts out defects. The 'AI' part of this program had to be trained to recognize what skin and rot are so they can be cut out. This training part took a lot of time. Hundreds of potatoes with defects had to be cut up and run through the machine and then the machine was "graded" or "taught". Basically this is called "classification". It is similar to examples you see on the internet where the AI can tell the difference between numbers or the difference between a dog and a cat. The AI's intelligence does just magically happen.

One would need a LOT of processing power to process balls, people and paddles in motion. We used a 64 core AMD thread ripper and it still took days to analyze all the data or to update the AI.

For table tennis one would need to train the TT AI by looking a videos of top players. The AI would need to break down the video into joints or "pose". Then there is the paddle which is really most important and the different conditions depending of the different spins, speeds and angles. This will take a while. Training a TT AI is not like training a chess AI where the chess AI can be told to play with itself and learn how to play excellent chess in 4 hours. Chess has fewer variables.

So who is going to train the AI? There is no money in it. This forum has paid little attention to Palguay's videos or mine or going back even further, Pathfinderpro's.

Finally, there are creators and users. Who is going to be creators for TT when there are other topics that are so much more important medicine or analyzing market or economic data. Another problem I have mentioned before. What is optimal? People can't agree. Who is doing the training will affect the AI.
I had actually trained a model to detect a ball when there was no AI hype so I have some basic knowledge. What I am looking at is that say you have 30 minutes to train and ask the AI to give you a training plan to say improve my forehand topspin, It might give you a few drills based on the training

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Chat GPT is a generative AI implementation of large language models, integrating it with the robot may give you answers like the following I typed into it a while back :) .. its not a model that will make your robot play smarter as you might be thinking ...

Improving your table tennis serve receive can greatly enhance your overall game. Here are some tips to help you enhance your table tennis serve receive:

1. Study your opponent: Observe your opponent's serving style, spin variations, and placement tendencies. Understanding their patterns will give you an advantage in anticipating and reading their serves.

2. Footwork and positioning: Maintain a balanced and ready position with your feet shoulder-width apart. Stay on the balls of your feet, allowing quick movement in any direction. Position yourself in a way that optimizes your reach to cover a wider range of serves.

3. Watch the ball closely: Focus on the server's contact point with the ball and track the ball's flight path. Keep your eyes on the ball throughout its trajectory to accurately judge the spin and speed.

4. Anticipate the serve: Based on your observations of your opponent, anticipate the type of serve they might deliver. This will help you prepare your racket angle and positioning beforehand, making it easier to react to the serve effectively.

5. Master the short game: Develop a reliable short receive technique, as it allows you to gain control and set up your attacks. Practice short pushes, flicks, and drop shots to keep the ball low and close to the net, making it difficult for your opponent to attack.

6. Adapt your racket angle: Adjust your racket angle to match the spin on the ball. For backspin serves, angle the racket upward slightly, and for topspin serves, angle it downward. By correctly reading the spin and adjusting your racket angle, you can neutralize the spin and control the ball better.

7. Work on your touch and timing: Develop a sensitive touch to read the incoming spin and adjust your stroke accordingly. Regular practice and drills will help improve your timing and enhance your ability to respond effectively to different serves.

8. Vary your receive techniques: Use a variety of receive techniques, such as short pushes, flicks, long pushes, or topspin loops, to keep your opponent guessing and prevent them from establishing a consistent serving rhythm.

9. Practice with different opponents: Seek opportunities to practice with players of varying skill levels and playing styles. This will expose you to different serves and spins, improving your ability to adapt and react in real-game situations.

10. Analyze and learn from your mistakes: Review your matches and identify areas where your serve receive can be improved. Work on those specific aspects during practice sessions and continuously seek feedback from coaches or experienced players.

Remember, consistent practice, patience, and focus are key to improving your table tennis serve receive. By incorporating these tips into your training routine, you'll gradually enhance your skills and become more confident in handling various serves.
I actually know a little bit about AI :) and have already used the chatGPT to generate drills based out of voice commands . If you read the blog post I have linked others using it creatively and how I plan to use . I am planning on training the model on drills that can be used from the robot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
@palguay Are you just getting the prompts from the ChatGPT then manually sending it to the robot?

The interesting thing is that you could probably train your own OpenAI model, then have an interface set up with the robot to have it all generated. Accessing the OpenAI API does have a cost though, so this entire setup is probably overkill and just to flex haha.

I agree with brokenball and the amount of training data for a classifier is an absolute pain to do if you're not getting paid. If I worked for USATT, I could probably spend the time to work on it, but making my own classifiers is the most cumbersome aspect of making a model to train.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
@palguay Are you just getting the prompts from the ChatGPT then manually sending it to the robot?

The interesting thing is that you could probably train your own OpenAI model, then have an interface set up with the robot to have it all generated. Accessing the OpenAI API does have a cost though, so this entire setup is probably overkill and just to flex haha.

I agree with brokenball and the amount of training data for a classifier is an absolute pain to do if you're not getting paid. If I worked for USATT, I could probably spend the time to work on it, but making my own classifiers is the most cumbersome aspect of making a model to train.
As a first we are converting voice instructions for drills and having it transform to be fed to the robot , our robot is run through a mobile app. This is no flex I feel that there are ways to integrate it with a robot, for example today when you want to go play for say half an hour , most people do not have a training plan. AI could easily generate a plan based on what you want to improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
As a first we are converting voice instructions for drills and having it transform to be fed to the robot , our robot is run through a mobile app. This is no flex I feel that there are ways to integrate it with a robot, for example today when you want to go play for say half an hour , most people do not have a training plan. AI could easily generate a plan based on what you want to improve.
Yeah definitely, if you're doing the OpenAI side, check out LangChain for potential chat bot / voice to text applications. I'm starting to learn it on the side.

The NLP/Gen AI applications that you're going for is pretty cool and I'm interested to see what progress you make with it in the future!

Reactions: palguay
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

AMEN !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Yeah definitely, if you're doing the OpenAI side, check out LangChain for potential chat bot / voice to text applications. I'm starting to learn it on the side.

The NLP/Gen AI applications that you're going for is pretty cool and I'm interested to see what progress you make with it in the future!
Thanks. Here is a video of the prototype

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
okay I get it now ! I doubt I will be able to help you with a list of features.. the kind you are looking for. The fact is that I hate playing against robots, it throws me off my game completely. , so I have never spent any time thinking about how they can help. WIll get back to you if something pops up in my mind !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
okay I get it now ! I doubt I will be able to help you with a list of features.. the kind you are looking for. The fact is that I hate playing against robots, it throws me off my game completely. , so I have never spent any time thinking about how they can help. WIll get back to you if something pops up in my mind !
Very interesting, for me it is the opposite, when I go to a club I find most people are unable to play drills with me as most of them have picked up the game without formal training, they are really good at games but cannot do drills. I find the quality of the robot practice really high (especially when doing random and semi random drills). I go to club only to play matches