Is my h3n National real or why is it shiny?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I bought a used h3 NEO national from a guy who knows another guy. I don't know the relationship between those 2 guys but the guy I know is very well-known in the club for playing with DHS rubbers, I trust the guy. But recently I have been rising a lot of questions for why is the surface so shiny, what did the previous owner do? Does anyone have experience with shiny chinese top sheet? I had multiple hurricane 3 in the past and a hurricane 8, using them a lot (well taken care and used of protective sheet) all turned out the opposite of shiny. Comparing to my new h3 commercial bought from authorized seller, is not shiny at all. Could the shininess be a hint of it not being authentic? I don't know how to check the serial code behind the rubber, I read some post saying that the real sponge has a wave line across them which mine has, you can see if you zoom in. Ignore the cover under the rubber on the 1st pic, it was just used as a cover.
IMG-9699.jpg
IMG_9806.jpgIMG_9808.jpgIMG_9809.jpg

Reactions: longle
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
RUBBER GLOSS INTENSITY IN NUMBERS.
For any rubber topsheet, 24 gloss units is the dead line not to be overpassed under the ITTF T4 technical regulations. The gloss magnitude imposed by ITTF is somewhat deviant from the rule 2.4. that requires rubber surface to be a "matt". In classic optics, the matt gloss is generally estimated at 10 - 15 units.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiefvevo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Nat topsheet is the highest quality - it is the grippiest topsheet of all H3
I still have not paid up for National H3 neo. I have always bought H3 neo commercial. After looking at TT11's review on hurricane (various versions of it), I think I might pay up for blue sponge H3 provincial. Then maybe maybe one of the days I will pay up for blue sponge H3 national.

Reactions: chiefvevo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
RUBBER GLOSS INTENSITY IN NUMBERS.
For any rubber topsheet, 24 gloss units is the dead line not to be overpassed under the ITTF T4 technical regulations. The gloss magnitude imposed by ITTF is somewhat deviant from the rule 2.4. that requires rubber surface to be a "matt". In classic optics, the matt gloss is generally estimated at 10 - 15 units.
A Chinese coach told me to stay away from used Hurricane 3 national or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I still have not paid up for National H3 neo. I have always bought H3 neo commercial. After looking at TT11's review on hurricane (various versions of it), I think I might pay up for blue sponge H3 provincial. Then maybe maybe one of the days I will pay up for blue sponge H3 national.
I have all 3 kinds, I would suggest you not use commercials. I am not a National Chinese player or a coach so you can take my suggestion or not, up to you. I own quite some commercials and sometimes they differ, whether in tackiness of topsheet, to sponge hardness. I always buy 39 degree and some feel noticeably harder than others. Provincial and National are identical, I think provincial is a very smart financial move rather than national. The blue sponge doesnt feel the same as orange. I feel like it has better dwell time and spin, maybe just a hair faster. Plus you look EXTRA swag with blue sponge on the side of your racket. But it doesn't turn you into Ma Long.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I have all 3 kinds, I would suggest you not use commercials. I am not a National Chinese player or a coach so you can take my suggestion or not, up to you. I own quite some commercials and sometimes they differ, whether in tackiness of topsheet, to sponge hardness. I always buy 39 degree and some feel noticeably harder than others. Provincial and National are identical, I think provincial is a very smart financial move rather than national. The blue sponge doesnt feel the same as orange. I feel like it has better dwell time and spin, maybe just a hair faster. Plus you look EXTRA swag with blue sponge on the side of your racket. But it doesn't turn you into Ma Long.
Thank you for your feedback back. Yeah I would like to try provincial blue sponge at some point. However I am just experimenting between a lot of different blades. All the blades have H3 neo (or H3 regular or TG3 neo) on the front and Butterfly/ESN in the back. if I were to buy provincial or National, I will go broke. Once I am settled on the equipment and I am at a higher level, I will invest in better H3 provincial blue sponge. I need to get my equipment settled down and then be more consistent with my strokes. Then I should be ready for H3 provincial blue sponge.

Quick question. Is there H3 provincial neo blue sponge? I have always equated neo with the orange sponge so I don't know if there is such a thing. Or is it simply H3 provincial blue sponge? Thanks!