Is my rubber falling apart?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2023
I bought a new blade in January with xiom vega euro DF (red) and xiom vega pro (black) rubbers. I noticed this week that the Vega Pro rubber is breaking off at the edges. I first noticed in during a match and assumed that I'd clipped the rubber on the table (don't remember doing that) but when checking the bat just now i saw there are areas where bits of rubber are falling off just above the handle and lower down on the edges too. Is this normal?
In terms of bat care, I wipe the rubber down after each match with a drop of water and a cleaning sponge, wipe away excess dampness and ensure it's dry before then putting protective sheets on and keeping it in a case. Once a week, maybe once a fortnight depending on frequency of play and if I know there's been sweat/grease on it then I also give it a clean with donic cleaning foam.
It's obviously not affecting any play but I'm keen to understand if this should be happening.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50 (2).jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50 (1).jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 43
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-22 at 10.30.50.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 44

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I had the same thing with Xiom Vega rubbers years ago - they were crumbly. They played nice, just not durable.

After that I never used Xiom so I don't know about Omega or any modern series.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Don't worry about it. Rubbers with soft topsheets are pretty sensitive and this is extremely common. Just make sure there's no water or sweat left when you put it away. Dust isn't really a problem, damage on these rubbers is done by leaving them wet. You don't have to clean these things, it's not tacky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
I bought a new blade in January with xiom vega euro DF (red) and xiom vega pro (black) rubbers. I noticed this week that the Vega Pro rubber is breaking off at the edges. I first noticed in during a match and assumed that I'd clipped the rubber on the table (don't remember doing that) but when checking the bat just now i saw there are areas where bits of rubber are falling off just above the handle and lower down on the edges too. Is this normal?
In terms of bat care, I wipe the rubber down after each match with a drop of water and a cleaning sponge, wipe away excess dampness and ensure it's dry before then putting protective sheets on and keeping it in a case. Once a week, maybe once a fortnight depending on frequency of play and if I know there's been sweat/grease on it then I also give it a clean with donic cleaning foam.
It's obviously not affecting any play but I'm keen to understand if this should be happening.
From my knowledge, It's a common problem from Vega rubbers, caused from his thin topsheet. I had the same problem with few Vega Euro & Pro sheets. I found that's caused by high speed ball tangencial impact, specially in the upper part of the rubber, where you impact the ball during servers or chops. I love the Vega Pro on FH, so I'm trying to leave the rubber larger in the lower part, so, when it chips, i reglue the rubber moving it upwars.

P.S.
Few time ago, i found the same problem with AK47's topsheets.

Reactions: AdamTT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You will experience this with a lot of old school tensioned rubbers, even the Tenergy series has the same issue. The main solution is edge tape and a modest over hang, but it isn't anything wrong you are doing, it is supposed to happen.

Reactions: AdamTT