Is outer alc blade considered better for blocking?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Aug 2021
1,947
375
2,334
I know that there tends to be the impression that outer alc blades are better for close to table player, while inner alc/zlc blades are better for looping play. In recent months, I have been playing with inner zlc blade to emphasize looping play.

Against my recent opponents, I am often put on the defensive so I decided to switch to outer alc blade to test on them. To my surprise, I was able to block A LOT more of their loops. I won a lot of 3-0 3-0 matches with outer alc blade. Does outer ALC really make such a dramatic difference in blocking consistency? Or is it just coincidence that maybe I got used to blocking their loop a little?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Active Member
Jun 2022
952
925
2,650
The less flex of outer carbon blades make your block and the angle used more stable i guess.
Do you block with forehand and backhand the same ? If you loop mainly with forehand and block mainly with backhand it would be worth to have a look at those xiom icecream blades that do have different material on forehand and backhand, so you can choose the one that fits you more for each side.
 
  • Like
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Nov 2013
655
520
1,245
Read 4 reviews
My answer is that it depends. Softer blades for me provide better soft passive blocks where I want to keep the ball shorter and lower. to me it feels like you have more creative control
harder outer blades I found block really well when you want the ball as a more aggressive block and not to take speed off. It just points the ball wherever you point the bat
 
Top