Kanak Jha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
I really don't like Kanak's stroke. It looks very ugly to me, and it gives me the impression of a crab. When he wins points, I have this uneasy feeling of "he didn't deserve to win", or he won in a cheap way
What about 60 year old at the table blockers ? They are just as worse.

This is why I have been saying the following for years >
Unless & until tabletennis adopts figure-skating type scoring system where sexy graceful two winged loopers get three points for every point & anti players get 2 points & pips choppers / blockers get 1 point , for every point scored , this issue will not get resolved .

OK all joking aside, at the pro level (in any sport) it seems like sex (appeal) & race sells. What one thinks is sexy or cool can often the perception of the fans & fills stadiums but there are also athletes in every sport who look ugly (from the eyes of the beholder) or win ugly but get credited as well, though to a lesser extent

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Indeed, I saw him play in Belgium in October 2017 and already thought his game was too clinical. Now so many years later, his game hasn't changed at all.

idk, is clinical another word for 'clean'?

Jha's game may not have changed since 2017, but his results and ranking have changed quite a bit.

Do you think some different style, or appearance, would get him above his current WR of 35, and career high WR of 22?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

Jha's game may not have changed since 2017, but his results and ranking have changed quite a bit.

Do you think some different style, or appearance, would get him above his current WR of 35, and career high WR of 22?

What most people probably don't realize is that Kanak's ranking is not due to a Continental boost. If you look at his results, it has no points from any Continental tournament. To get him above #22 he would need to make the Finals of the upcoming Pan American Championship (which he's fully capable of) that start Oct 31. I don't think it's fair to say his game hasn't changed in the last 5 years. You can improve on all aspects of your game without changing your core playing style. At a minimum, he's certainly added more power.

Reactions: Metaxa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
He's a smart player who improves every year. He lacks elite power, so it looks like he's trying to optimize his fast off the bounce game. His technique is unusual, with hand up and elbow forward. It costs him some power, but lets him switch quickly for aggressive blocking and countering on both wings. When he has time, he can drop his elbow and rip the ball, especially on backhand. His forehand does seem a little more stiff and underpowered, but clearly improving year to year.

Clinically => too sterile, especially no surprises in his game, too neat, too monotonous, etc...

I don't think he can forcing against his opponent especially with his FH. I also assume that this is how he developed or learned his current technique. With his current technique I don't see any "chunks" within the top 20. His FH technique is exceptional. I don't know anyone at that level who keeps their hand & elbow so high/strange. This prevents him from using rotating force from his lumbar and upper body. As a result, he is often transverse (= less force) to the table instead of the extension of the table.
And that's very pity because he is a good player but nog good enough for top 10.