Ladies and Gentleman, Dreams do come true

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Which one did you get and where did you get it from? In case I get bored...
It's the same Shore O durometer that @TensorBackhand and the member that posted the video a few days ago have. The one that says XO on the dial. It's super cheap at $15 and I don't expect high accuracy, but I at least got good consistency from it. Maybe I got lucky with mine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
It give absurdly low measures because YOU BOUGHT TYPE O

I don't think that's the case. I bought Type O specifically because I saw bad consistency from Type A durometers from channels like ANATOMIC EDGE on Youtube. The Type A durometer has a thin sharp needle for the measuring pin. The Type O has a thicker rounded measuring pin. The Type A durometer would not be suitable for measuring from the sponge side is what I determined from research. The needle also looks like it would be sharp enough to maybe damage the rubber a bit.

Here's a picture:

a-o-d-0-100-ha.jpg_220x220.jpg_.webp

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Sadly no, you are comparing a solid metal ball with a hollow plastic ball (different brands have different hardness, too).

What folks have to understand here is that there are multiple hardness standards out there, some of which are interchangeable/compatible. What some of us are attempting here is:
1. To figure out which specific standards are used by which manufacturers/brands here, and ideally how they make the measurement;
2. We hope to be able to reproduce it and make the same measurement with the most commonly used hardness scales;
3. We hope to be able to compare across different manufacturers/brands with a certain level of confidence.

Over the years, the last point has been attempted by various folks/magazines. It won't represent real-world scenario, but we don't care about feel either, which is subjective (whatever feels good for you is not the concern here). We want to leave that out of the equation. We want a simple number that scales linearly that can be compared quickly, which is exactly what a hardness scale does.
I understand what is trying to be achieved, and agree that 1 way of measuring hardness is needed, no differing scales or different measuring devices used for measuring TT sponges / rubbers. It removes confusion, or some of it. Takes away frustration. Some of it.

next up
speed - standard speed scale please.
spin - standard spin scale please.
throw - yep you guessed it standard throw scale please
grip …….., tackiness………etc etc

If you find a rubber you like and suits you, then knowing the numbers and say picking one of the attributes ONLY and improving that attribute or worsening that attribute. less speed, more speed etc makes things much easier, less frustrating.
Its a case of how many scales for attributes do you actually need??

And all this means diddly squat if you are playing in the wrong conditions, as you watch balls slipping off your bat left right and centre!!!! (mind you if your opponents equipment is less sensitive to the playing conditions, then the playing conditions are obviously right as far as they are concerned.!!!)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
And all this means diddly squat if you are playing in the wrong conditions, as you watch balls slipping off your bat left right and centre!!!! (mind you if your opponents equipment is less sensitive to the playing conditions, then the playing conditions are obviously right as far as they are concerned.!!!)
Yep, I was thinking last night playing at club A (effen cold) that I need to make myself 2 sets of rackets, one for club B and one for Club A (warmish) and where does it stop 😁

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I don't think that's the case. I bought Type O specifically because I saw bad consistency from Type A durometers from channels like ANATOMIC EDGE on Youtube. The Type A durometer has a thin sharp needle for the measuring pin. The Type O has a thicker rounded measuring pin. The Type A durometer would not be suitable for measuring from the sponge side is what I determined from research. The needle also looks like it would be sharp enough to maybe damage the rubber a bit.

Here's a picture:

a-o-d-0-100-ha.jpg_220x220.jpg_.webp
fair enough but the thickness of the pin is part of the gadgets internal calibration.
Sounds like a mouthfull , after all it is just a spring we are compressing 🙃

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Of course it is, we haven't touched the surface, there are the different balls and different tables etc.
It is all about "adaptability " 🤣
Next Gen rubber - ‘Chameleon nano tech’ rubber adapts and changes it’s characteristics to suit climate conditions!!!

• Haha
Reactions: lodro and turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Next Gen rubber - ‘Chameleon nano tech’ rubber adapts and changes it’s characteristics to suit climate conditions!!!
How about Reebok Pump rubber. Just a few pumps and drastically increase the pore size of your sponge. Go from linear dense rubber to bouncy catapult rubber in seconds!

Reactions: IB66
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
How about Reebok Pump rubber. Just a few pumps and drastically increase the pore size of your sponge. Go from linear dense rubber to bouncy catapult rubber in seconds!
Ohh yes, i have one of them please but you must all promise to visit me in the loony-bin.

Now here is the new blade: it has not just a back and a front but there are 3 sides in a triangle arrangement . You have to simply twiddle to expose your preferred side.
Next week I shall introduce the "multi-blade" with infinitesimal blade side options that can be instantly chosen with the press of a button on the handle. No, sorry but batteries will not be included.

Reactions: IB66